PDA

View Full Version : Dressing and Blood Pressure

Phyliss
04-24-2006, 07:00 PM
A recurring theme I've noticed, not only here but on other forums that have to do with wearing female clothing. Usualy what is said is something like "I feel so relaxed when dressed" Now, I do also, but just how relaxed are we? For those who are still deep in the closet, I'm sure there is a bit of concern about being caught while dressed and any relaxation is offset by this. Those who are fully "out" and dress almost everyday most likely are well off in this respect. What I'm talking about is the person who has the ability to dress on frequent occasions and feels that particular calming feeling. I think you know what I'm talking about, after a day of battling the corporate dragons and having fought your way home through rush hour traffic, you just want to put on something pretty and forget about everything else.
Now having tried to explain the reason for my question, if there are any doctors or people who have some medical expertise around here, has any study ever been done to measure just how relaxed we get when dressed? It is a known fact that after sitting in a hot tub for 20 minutes a person's Blood Pressure will go down. It happens to me when after 20 min in my tub I measure my B.P. before and after,I find that it has dropped by about 10 points sometimes.
I know that when I get dressed I don't feel as "stressed" as not being dressed, but I'm wondering if any actual REAL study has ever been done on this.

Has anybody taken the time or trouble to "measure" themself before they get dressed and after. (Not counting the times you accidently put a run in your stocking. That could cause any B.P. reader to blowup)

Somehow I think there may be some connection but I don't know of any real proof.

Hopefully somebody could expand on this.

Wenda
04-24-2006, 07:15 PM
Good question. I have no idea about the effect on BP. I count on my meds for that. There have been several interesting posts on the relationship between dressing and depression.

michelle19845
04-25-2006, 12:51 AM
i'd wanna think it could go either way.if your stress is too high and dressing makes you less stressed vs. dressing and not knowing if you could be caught at any moment.there could be 2 sides to the story probably.if you've dressed for years and got it down pat ,you pry aren't so stressed.if you are still "early" you may not know when is the right time and remember where you put your things that could give away your secret.

michelle19845

JoAnnDallas
04-25-2006, 08:33 AM
I was on the research team that developed the FIRST automated Blood Pressure Meassuring System. It was orgininally developed for the SkyLab Space Station. So we did a very detailed study in blood pressures. This was back in the early 70's BTW. Anywho, one thing that was discovered, that just sitting in a chair for 10-20 minutes will drop your blood pressure. Also laying down for 10-20 minutes will also lower your blood pressure.
This is one reason when you goto the doctor, that they put you in the exam room for 10 minutes or so before the Nurse takes your reading. While your sitting there in a cool room with no distractions, it allows your body to stabalize and usually you blood pressure, heart rate, and pulse will slow down a little.

Last time I went to the doctor, she took my BP, then had me lay down on the exam table, we talked for a while and then she took it again while I layed there. It was still over 140, so I'm now on meds for that. LOL. I knew all along what she was doing. She was trying to make sure I was relaxed, so that my body would be at it's most stable position. Didn't help my blood pressure. LOL. She said "your getting older". I replyed "yep, and it's a real bitch too". She laughed and wrote out the new perscription.

connie rotten
04-25-2006, 08:38 AM
My bp drops significantly when I go totaly fem.

DonnaT
04-25-2006, 02:53 PM
Well Phyliss, there has been very little study about CDs in general, so it's highly doubtful you'll find a study regarding CDing and blood pressure.

Now, not to demean your question, but what would you do with the information if you could do such a study?

Personally, note that I do have HBP, and take meds for it, but I don't have a BP machine. If I did, then I'd take my BP before and after dressing, and if it showed a considerable drop, use it as an excuse to my wife to dress more ;) Hey just being honest.

So, since you apparently do have a BP machine, you mentioned a drop resulting in a relaxing bath, have you measured yours before and after dressing?

Does it drop? Is it consistent?

See, I can use that information to decide whether or not to buy a BP machine and do as I mentioned above. ;)

Phyliss
04-25-2006, 05:38 PM
As I mentioned in my question, I'm one of those who has to dress way in the back of the closet. Now, I do wear panties, bra and stocking everyday, but I've been doing that for so long now it doesn't seem any different. The few times I've managed to put on a dress and heels I was always looking over my shoulder and listening for the slightest sound, so any possible drop in B.P. was negated by my tension at being caught.
I gues what I was asking was for those who can dress openly at home does it seem to cause any noticeable drop in B.P.
The next time I get a chance to actually fully dress I'll have to make some sort of note to myself to check if there is any drop.

Sage GG
04-25-2006, 08:01 PM
I think his dressing has been good for my bp. He was very often tense and upset now hes much calmer, we are both taking better care of our bodies.

The hot tub thing is a no-no, stick me in hot water and I pass out as soon as I stand up. We had to give away our hot tub, it was so much fun to sit in outside in the snow but not worth being picked up off the floor.

JoAnnDallas
04-26-2006, 08:15 AM
If a person had a Neurological or Muscular problem, then a Hot Tub is bad for them. My wife has had MS for over 20 years now and if she sits in a Hot tub for more than 5 minutes, I have to drag her out of it, since she is not able to get out by herself. Hot water relaxes both the neurons and the Muscles. This results in a loss of Strength. The same even applies to a Hot Tub Bath. That is why when we were house hunting last year, one of the main items was the master bathroom HAD to have a seperate Shower Stall.

When your a MS caregiver, you learn all you can about Neurological or Muscular problems. LOL

Faye Emmette
04-26-2006, 03:24 PM
I should think that another reason for this feeling of comfort and relaxation is because we are home and alone and we've just dressed and know we won't be disturbed.
Friends and girlfriends can pop in for a visit anytime but when we've changed into our nicer clothing, we know we can just sit down and relax.
But gosh, what happens to that BP when one hears that bike or car pull up out front.:eek:
:straightface: F.

Julie Avery
04-26-2006, 03:32 PM
This is an interesting question, given how many of us (myself included) report being more relaxed when crossdressed. And it's measurable, which to my mind means, "more reliable than the self-reporting that survey research depends on."

Just don't measure my blood pressure when I'm in an age-inappropriate dress and a parcel delivery service unexpectedly bangs on my front door :eek:

Andrea
04-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Have had times (buying clothes / shoes) when I felt physically ill I was so nervous. Hate to think what my BP and pulse was. :eek:

livy_m_b
04-26-2006, 05:28 PM
I've had bp for years and have had it measured under many circs, though not under the one that is the subject of this thread. The observation is that I can often predict when my bp will be higher than usual by feelings of pressure, stress, frustration and so forth, but I'm far less able to predict when my bp is normal or lower. So, I suggest that if you are stressed etc under conditions where your bp is higher than normal, dressing is very likely to have an effect bringing it down. But if you are in your usual mid-state, it is likely to have little or no effect. Those interested in the study may apply for a grant from NIH!

:)