PDA

View Full Version : A question for GG

Dana
04-25-2006, 10:22 PM
This isn't related to CD'ing, but is something that I would like to ask a GG.

I live a pretty spartain and solitary lifestyle ~ primarly because of life experiences from childhood through adulthood. I'm single ~ and have pretty much made my mind up to stay that way.

I live in a very, very, (did I say very?) conservative rural Southern town ~ whose favorite pastime is sitting around talking about everyone else. A friend of mine told me, "I don't have any problems with living in this town! My wife tends to my money ~ and my neighbors tend to my business!" That kind of town. In fact, if you don't attend Church regularly ~ folks around here talk about you. I worked last Sunday, and got paid for it ~ because it was a holiday ~ Easter~! Confederate Memorial Day is a State holiday ~ YES as in the Confederate States of America ~ the North~South~War Between The States. We don't celebrate Marin Luther King birthday ~ we celebrate Robert E. Lee./Martin Luther King's Birthday (their the same)

Anyway, I'm wanting to get into some hobbies. Photography, astronomy, learing to play the guitar, learn Spanish, art clasess ~ painting and drawing ~maybe sculpting, etc. One of the things I want to do is learn how to dance ~ not two step or line dance, (that would be fun though) but,........................ballroom dancing. To do so, I would need a partner, travel 50 miles to the state capital, etc.

Problem #1 ~ Finding a partner. I would be willing to pay for the lessons, travel, gas, etc.

Problem #2 ~ I've got a severe case of "White Boy's Syndrone!" No ryhthmn.

Problem #3 ~ I don't want to become attached in a romantic, intimate way with anyone ~ anyway, shape, form nor fashion.

Any suggestions?

RainyHaze GG
04-25-2006, 11:20 PM
Hi Dana,

Hmm....the town you live in sounds frightenly familar.:D

If you are going to take dance lessons at a professional dance studio, usually they will be involved in sponsoring dance contests. And will probably have knowledge of interested people in your area.

You could inquire at the studio, if they are aware of a female student in need of a partner.

Also you could place an ad in the paper in the city where you will be taking the lessons.

Good Luck, I love to watch ballroom dancing, but have never tried.

Rainy

Glenda Grant
04-26-2006, 01:13 AM
Find yourself a married woman that has always wanted to learn to Dance too but husband has no interest. There are plenty woman out there and I'm one of them. Ways to meet women, ask your friends at work or church or whwerever. Post a notice on a bullitin board at a Grocery Store or post a personal ad. Even if you find a single woman chances are it would not be a problem either. Fact is, in your age group the single never been married women are usually very picky and if there is not a spark from the get go which usually there isn't then those woman are quite relieved that no intamacy is intended and would like a male friend to be able to do things with. Don't worry about the white mans syndrome, that's why you need lessons. So good luck, too bad you don't live in Central Texas

kittypw GG
04-26-2006, 04:06 AM
Dana,
I think that is a wounderful idea and I think that you will very much enjoy it. I took ballroom dancing in my small home town when I was single and I did not have a partner. A lot of the lessons start out with steps alone, until they are mastered then you need a partner and if everyone is not paired up then they take turns or in my case I would dance with the instrutor. I was a very good dancer and he liked to use me as an example because I could follow very well. Dancing is an excellent past time and good exercise. If you are a male with out a partner then I should gather that you will never be short of partners. Lots of women dance but very few men. Most of us learned to dance from female relatives at family wedding dances. You see mostly women dancing with women. You go girl! Like Rainey said call the dance school I'll bet you there are 10 females without a partner to your one male. Good luck Dana. Kitty

kathy gg
04-26-2006, 08:30 AM
I think going to this other town would be a great idea. I used to drive about 4 hours at least twice a month to hang out at a tg friendly bar and figured what I was gaining in new friendships was worth any time and cost of gas.

the ideaas suggested are great. I have a friend that does all sort of dance styles, and she usually finds partners to dance with when she goes to the classes and stuff. No shortage of women needing a dancing friend.

best of luck!

dancinginthedark
04-26-2006, 09:05 AM
Hey Dana,
I don't really have any new ideas to add. I had the same problem where I wanted to learn some new dance moves but DH was not interested at all. Ended up with 10 ladies and 2 guys signed up, so we ladies ended up dancing with other ladies and took turns being the guy. :D Give the dance studio a call you may not even need to look for a partner, I am pretty darn sure you won't have to look for one. You'll be a very popular gentleman I'm sure.
This time around DH is willing to learn too, so I guess I can retire that shirt and tie I used to take along as a joke when I had to be the guy. Have fun!

Dana
04-27-2006, 12:44 AM
Thanks for all the responses, and the ideas. I NEVER would have thought about it. Definately something I will looking into. I hadn't thought about ~ the men to women ratio.

Now that I'm retired from my first carrer, ~ the kids are grown and gone ~ well,....................although it may sound selfish, its time for me to get out and have some fun.

Again thanks for the responses and answers ~ all of you are the greatest.

On a side note, I posted a joke for all of you ~ and it got zapped to the Lounge faster than a pack of dogs on a three legged cat. Its tititled, "Curtain Rods" and if you want a good laugh ~ check it out. Its clean and it'll put a smile on your face ~ like this one :)