PDA

View Full Version : Hi Girls!

susan howard
04-26-2006, 02:51 PM
Why is it that some people, especially men and especially some of those in the workplace have such a strong fear of crossdressing?

Perhaps they are frightened of their own dormant femininity.

Perhaps they have wondered at some time in their lives just what it would be like to yield to their feminine side. To shave their legs and put on a frock!

Maybe it is an ego thing. 'I am a real bloke, I do real blokey things'.

From my own experience with men (yes, I have had a few) it is the ones that shout loudest against things such as crossdressing or bi-sexuality or gay sex that are the most prone.

This could be my thought for today!

Luv,

Susan.

Kate Simmons
04-26-2006, 08:17 PM
Hi Susan, I dunno what that is all about. Even gay guys seem to be afraid of me when I go to the gay club I go to to dance. I guess they think I'm nuts because I dress like a woman and can't understand why. I attempt to be friendly with everyone but don't push things if they don't respond or aren't interested. Like you say, they may be afraid of their own latent feelings and who they are attracted to (gayness notwithstanding). I threw the "book" away when I finally accepted my femme self and like to challenge stereotypes. There is a lot of peer pressure out there no matter who you are. My personal slogan is: "Be yourself". When I do that things seem to go a lot smoother when folks see I'm no threat and just being myself. I'm still trying to figure out why gay guys go "ga ga" over drag queens but don't give CD's the time of day. Take care, Ericka

miss_sarah
04-26-2006, 08:57 PM
I think a great deal of it has to do with our social upbringing. While this is changing with younger generations, there are still many homes even today that reinforce the old stereotypical upbringing of masculine vs feminine roles:

Boys: the color blue (or really, all deep dark hard colors), playing with trucks and army men and NEVER dolls! :eek: , being a "Strong" personality - that is, show NO emotion. Boys are to wear pants and shorts, and for special occasions a suit and tie.

Girls: the color pink (similarly, all light / pastel-ish soft colors), playing with dolls, tea parties, "house" (imaginative play as opposed to physical) and so forth. Girls are to wear skirts and dresses, etc.

Reinforced both by (a) things that parents actively force upon their children and (b) in likely an even more impactful way, the non-verbal things children pick up from their parents.

Kate Simmons
04-28-2006, 07:07 AM
Sarah, HMM, I guess I used to be bad then. When I was a kid, I used to play with my sister's Barbie collection when she wasn't around. I would dress Ken in Barbie's clothes and vice versa. It was neat having Ken attempt to wear Barbie's heels sort of a portent for things to come with me. The neatest thing was putting my brother's GI Joe clothes on Barbie when women in a combat zone was relatively unheard of. Barbie really loved firing that M-16. LOL Ericka

miss_sarah
04-30-2006, 12:03 PM
I was just re-reading this thread, and thinking about the boys vs girls baby scenario, in regards to my own family. Take the following hypothetical situation: A couple finds out they're pregnant. The Docs positive it's a girl. Couple rushes home and smears 40 shades of pastelish pinks all over the new baby room. Months later, a little boy is born. And sickening as it is to me to think it, there are a LARGE NUMBER in my family that would quickly say "Oh shoot. Now you'll have to re-do the room."

Why???

That's not to say that something as simplistic as colours and room decor define a child's sense of gender role, of course, but the (possibly) subconscious attitudes like that, when combined - certainly seem to :(

Ericka - LOL that made me think of the funny ways that people define their generation, and you just brought up one in my mind (don't answer though! hehe, or lie...)

Was that pre or post-op barbie? hahaha (i know, it wasn't THAT long ago she went under the knife...) Heck, one might argue that Ken was mid-way through an operation, or perhaps he and all the GI Joe characters got their crotches blown apart in war... Maybe they were just poorly endowed, or perhaps tucking and gaffs??? LOL OK - I'm WAY overanalyzing toys now...

Sage GG
04-30-2006, 12:35 PM
I think a great deal of it has to do with our social upbringing. While this is changing with younger generations, there are still many homes even today that reinforce the old stereotypical upbringing of masculine vs feminine roles:

Reinforced both by (a) things that parents actively force upon their children and (b) in likely an even more impactful way, the non-verbal things children pick up from their parents.

I agree with you completely and until a few months ago never even thought about it. Our daughter had a little girl two years ago, her daddy was in the Marines so she was given a camouflage tee shirt set, very cute with "future jar head" on it, semper fi on the butt. Needless to say it never went on our granddaughter, last week I was at the house helping to set up for the new arrival, A boy and the set was on top of the drawer as what he would be wearing home from the hospital.

most of us did it to the first child but by the time we get to the third kid if its clean they wear it. My first wore lots of blue and second child was all in pink but the third wore anything and truthfully she is the best adjusted , smartest and the nicest to be around, any chance there is a connection?