PDA

View Full Version : Trying on clothes in shops

~Tammy~
05-08-2004, 06:23 AM
Just wondering...

Rachel_740
05-08-2004, 07:59 AM
Hi Tammy,

I know the UK is has alot of towns/cities, but can you tell me if the gothic shop you are talking about is in Exeter.

Sounds great to be able to walk into an ordinary shop and just try & buy - I did find one in Taunton a couple of years ago that would probably have let my do it (I was looking for a dress for my ex-wife and asked the assistant for something specific, adding at the end it wasn't for me & she replied 'you'd be surprised at the men who DO buy for themselves'). Unfortunately that shop has shut now, but i think they have a branch in Glastonbury still.

Have fun shopping,

Rachel
xxx

~Tammy~
05-08-2004, 03:15 PM
This is a store in the Midlands.

While I'm here, does anyone know of any dressing up services like Sophies or Transformation around the Midlands?

They all seem to be located down south :(

Rachel_740
05-08-2004, 03:23 PM
Hi Tammy,

There's a Transformations shop in Birmingham. Go www.transformationshops.com.

Rachel
xxx

Stelli
05-08-2004, 06:41 PM
Just yesterday I went with my SO to buy some clothes in one of these big shops. I know my size so we just browsed together for different things feeling like million dollars :) (just taking everything I tought it would good look on me and have approximately my size).

Now it was thursday evening and shop was not too busy. I have said to my SO that I am unsure for some pieces and she have said we go to changing room to try. I clicked, yes this would be great. I also picked some padded bra to have shape to try.

We went to women's try room. I have bumped into a girl that was running from one room to another but neither of us reacted more than "sorry".

We have choosed a room where we have enough space to try everything. It was good with a note that even trying takes significant time. First I put on a skirt and then started trying different tops (I was actually after some leisure gowns and top/skirt combination). I tried several pieces together. Some of stuff was not my size - pitty, but there was still a selection of things. When I have choosed everything to my and my SO's liking we left the rest in the room.

We checked out together but I was paying for mine. Shop girl did not even comment that I am paying for pieces. And there was queue behind us because shop was closing. I felt very ordinary, like I am buying for my mother or someone.

Came home and tried everything again in more combinations. Selected what I am going to return because I have found that I do not like how it looks on me (although I liked the models). Figured out that even if you like something that may not look good on you, shopping is tricky....

Today we went to return all stuff, again woman at the desk did not comment, I have said that these we are returning doesnot fit. No problem. I was credited back for the returned goods.

At no moment I was feeling upset but it helped a lot that shop was not busy. I figured that I would not feel conformtable if there are kids around, but if there are adults around, I find no problem. Sometimes I go shopping alone. Last time I have bought 2 skirts. I never had any embarrasing situation, once they offered me charity gift boxes. People generally assume that you may be buying for someone else.

I believe everything is in attitude.

simpsonfan
05-08-2004, 08:29 PM
ive found that most people dont mind...some girls who may be trying on clothes too may give you a glance or look...i usually just shrug that off though.

the wierdest thing is trying to buy things and there are only male cashiers.