PDA

View Full Version : Very basic question re: walking in heels

EricaCD
04-28-2006, 01:10 AM
I could probably ask this of our more accomplished CDs but I thought I'd start with the natural crowd. No big philosophical questions here; I'm just trying to take one step at a time (couldn't resist):

When walking in heels (and I am talking like 2" sensible pumps - not towering stilettos from hell or anything), I have noticed that just as my leg is beginning to move downward it feels like I am going to lose my shoe. Frequently it will actually come loose from the middle of my foot and I wind up catching it on the ground. (This happens irrespective of surface.) To avoid this, I clench my toes forward and this pushes the sole of the shoe toward the ball of my foot, and everything stays together. More or less. It also hurts like almighty hell, and results in a somewhat stilted gait.

Sorry for the overly technical description. I am, after all, a guy - much as I hate to admit it...

Is this what you do as a matter of course - clench your toes on every downstep? I am beginning to suspect that I may be wearing shoes that are too large for my feet. Or is there some basic aspect of walking that I have not picked up? Or do I just need more practice. (Let it be the last because I sure am enjoying myself!)

Thanks for any light you can shed on a pedestrian (pardon the pun) but sincere question.

Erica

AngGG
04-28-2006, 06:12 AM
To me it sounds like you shoes are too large. They should not slip off the foot...at all...unless it is a sandal. Good luck.
:D

Anita Mae GG
04-28-2006, 07:15 AM
sounds too big...also if they are the right size you might want to try an insert that goes in the shoe right at the front where the ball of your foot is. This prevents the foot from sliding towards the front edge of the shoe. Works great. I had to use those inserts on my wedding day cuz the inside of my heels were too slippery with my nylons. I put the insert in and my foot stayed put! Try that....can get them at any shoe store.....they are just a small thing to go only in the front of the shoe.....

kathy gg
04-28-2006, 08:26 AM
Ditto..unles you are wearing mules, this should not happen. Sounds like a half size too big.

dancinginthedark
04-28-2006, 10:00 AM
I have to agree it does sound as if they are too big. If you are ordering online it makes it very hard to get a good fit but using a conversion chart [male to female shoe sizes] helps. I only use the ball of the foot pad for a heel that is over two inches myself. In other cases I use a pad that fits inside at the back of the heel.

Sage GG
04-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Maybe you are the kind of lady that prefers to wear her heels with a strap. I like the more secure walk you can get in a heel with an ankle strap. I have slides that I wear when I'm going to my daughter house or any place where they make you take off your shoes. Most of my heels are strappy but the girls are correct, your shoes are probably to big.

EricaCD
04-28-2006, 07:52 PM
Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. I will definitely look up those heel grips. I suspect it is a size issue fundamentally, though. I have long but very narrow feet and to get the length right I think I am not getting enough "grip" at the sides. Hard to believe I would ever say this, but I might get to try a smaller!!!! shoe size :)

Erica

AngGG
04-29-2006, 08:18 AM
If your feet are narrower than "average", you may need to buy shoes in the correct width size also. Here is a link for dicks sporting goods (http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/sm-determine-your-shoe-size--bg-222865.html) It will help you determine what size and width you are. If you do find that you need narrower shoes, google "Shoes sized for narrow feet" you will find LOTS of stores with many selections.

Hope that Helps!