PDA

View Full Version : How to wear a wig

Emma_Forbes
04-28-2006, 01:02 PM
Hi Girls,

Me and wigs don't get on. They look fine in the shop but when I try it on at home it looks like...er...I'm wearing a wig. Can't seem to get a natural look at all. It always seems like there's too much hair. I know I'm not comfortable with hair being 'haphazard' - always try for it neat and tidy - which isn't necessarily a feminine thing - apologies to all those who like the 'haphazard' look, but even when I try that look, I can't get it right.

I have 2 wigs, the one in my avatar and this one:

23866 (Sorry about the quality)

Two other issues. My sideburns are very short but on closer inspection they can be seen. What can I do about that? Secondly, what should I do about matching my hair colour to my eyebrow colour, or shouldn't I worry about it? And before anyone comments, I know blondes don't have blonde eyebrows - do they?

Please help a girl to become more girlie....

Thanks

Em

Lindahexi
04-28-2006, 05:40 PM
Hi Girls,

Me and wigs don't get on. They look fine in the shop but when I try it on at home it looks like...er...I'm wearing a wig. Can't seem to get a natural look at all. It always seems like there's too much hair. I know I'm not comfortable with hair being 'haphazard' - always try for it neat and tidy - which isn't necessarily a feminine thing - apologies to all those who like the 'haphazard' look, but even when I try that look, I can't get it right.

I have 2 wigs, the one in my avatar and this one:

23866 (Sorry about the quality)

Two other issues. My sideburns are very short but on closer inspection they can be seen. What can I do about that? Secondly, what should I do about matching my hair colour to my eyebrow colour, or shouldn't I worry about it? And before anyone comments, I know blondes don't have blonde eyebrows - do they?

Please help a girl to become more girlie....

Thanks

Em

Emma, I think the wig in your avatar suits you better because it wraps around your face more. The shorter wig in the picture needs better positioning and brushing into shape to cover the sideburns. I think with practice you can achieve a more natural and convincing look. Regarding the brows, I don't think it matters about matching the wig to the brow colour, easier to use eyebrow pencils to colour the brows to the colour you want.

Kate Simmons
04-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Hi Em, I have one "rule of thumb" regarding wigs. If you don't feel it or remember it's there, you are wearing it right just like a GG's real hair. A drag queen at the club I go to showed me how to style them and Poof 'em up nice. Better than a lot of female hairdressers-go figure! The more naturally you style them, the better they look. It helps to get the right size as well. Linda is right about the eye brows, it really doesn't matter unless you're a perfectionist (which I definately am not). I go with black as it matches just about any hair color. I have a lot of experience with wigs, since I have a growing collection of 60+ for all occassions (and then some). Told you gals you would faint but in my case, every little bit helps. Have fun Hon, Ericka

Ellie
04-28-2006, 06:21 PM
I like the wig in your avatar better as well.

It sounds like you may have gotten wigs with too small of a cap. I generally have to get ones with large caps and as an earlier post said, it is when you no longer feel them that you have them in place correctly.

Tina Dixon
04-28-2006, 06:24 PM
It sits to high on your head, need a wig that covers more I think.

Mona
04-28-2006, 08:46 PM
Hi Emma,
My 1st couple of wigs sat on my head just like yours, they were too small. My head measures 21 1/2 inches around and I wear a large size hat. I finally found some larger size wigs and as Ericka said, I don't even know I'm wearing them. And I wear blond wigs with dark eyebrows.
I get mine on ebay from Jasmine wigs.
Hugs, Mona

Melinda G
04-28-2006, 09:06 PM
I have six. Most are fairly long, with bangs, to cover the sideburns and forehead, and wrap around the face somewhat, and also conceal part of the neck.
Men have thicker necks than women, and a wig can hide that.
Men are accustomed to short hair, so a longish wig can seem strange at first. Watch real women, to see what kind of hairstyles they wear. Young ones. Not the old ones with the mens haircuts!:cheeky:

Emma_Forbes
04-29-2006, 10:01 AM
Thanks girls for all the helpful replies.

I too have been thinking they're too small, even though they are adjustable. The problem is that if I don't have them tightly adjusted, they feel as they are going to fall off. However, I will try it on a looser setting and see how I get on.

I've steered away from longer hair as I thought it makes my face look fatter. Is that right?

Finally, the comments about forgetting it's there are really helpful. I've never had that, so I know now what to aim for.

Thanks again

Em

tvgirl4fun
04-29-2006, 10:41 AM
Regarding hair length, I think large people shouldn't have short hair styles or lengths. It makes them look bigger in my opinion. Inversely, small people with "lots of hair" (poofed up, not necessarily long hair) doesn't work either. Next time you're out somewhere, check out ladies hair styles and which ones "don't fit" the person. Jaie

Sam-antha
04-29-2006, 01:46 PM
They do not fall off, but until you get used to one that fits, it just feels as tho it is falling offl. You can always use a cap and kirby grips to keep them in place. Do not tie tootight at the back tho.

Karren H
04-29-2006, 03:05 PM
I had a wig that looked terrible on how it was supposed to so i turned it around backwards and damn if it didn't look wonderful!!! No Kidding!! I had 16 wigs at one time and each one was an experiment! I'd say I had a 76.35% success rate with wigs! (rounding error hehehe) So don't laugh but here is the pic with the backwards wig for 2004.

Love Karren

RenaCD
04-29-2006, 03:39 PM
Karen you are such a Hoot! It looks Great on you and I think I saw your Twin Sister at the salon this morning!:cool:

windycissy
04-29-2006, 03:47 PM
Emma, I agree that the wig in the photo you attached is too small for your head, but the wig in your avatar is lovely. But you have to do something with it! Head for the drugstore and buy some bobby pins, scrunchies, clips and those cool plastic clamps that are shaped like little bows - and have some fun doing girlie things with it! Experiment with pulling it back, pinning up the loose strands, and then zap it into place with some hairspray. If it gets frizzy, a fabric softener sheet works wonders. I like to put on my makeup and lingerie, and then take my sweet time getting my "do" just so before I put on my dress. This is the good stuff! Ask Windy (http://snurl.com/askwindy)

Emma_Forbes
04-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Hi Girls,

OK I have taken on board what has been said but like a persistent dog I won't let go.

I have tried the c*** wig again and have adjusted its size and spent some time trying to get it to look better. I think it does - what do you think? It still isn't as good as the other but I hope I have made some progress.

You'll have to ignore the lack of makeup etc. Haven't got that far tonight....

Em

EricaCD
04-30-2006, 02:23 PM
Hi Em! Certainly looks better than the first pic but (you knew this was coming) I fear that style just does not suit you. This style is, frankly, a bit too masculine. We have to bear in mind that there are plenty of hairstyles that may be appropriate for a woman (even of similar age, size, coloring, etc.) that are simply not going to work for us.

A longer length is going to do wonders for shaping your face. That will help the rest of your look come together.

I won't repeat the other advice in this thread, all of which was perfectly sensible. I will add something I read somewhere that has always helped me: don't try to get every single hair lined up perfectly in a wig. You're looking for rough justice here. If you fuss over every little bit of it, you will actually enhance the "wiggy" look of the thing.

Very best of luck!

Erica