PDA

View Full Version : Right wig

VERONICARH
04-28-2006, 10:33 PM
Hi, just wondering if there is some formula on what is the right wig . The color the style. Does the shape of the face or the shade of skin have anything to do with it. Please help I "m trying to figure it out want to buy one soon.I'm 5'9" 170 hazel eyes auburn hair, any advice would be apprecitated. HUGS, Veronica

Tina Dixon
04-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Shop!!! I went to a place that takes care of us MtF people, tried may wigs on, but the sales gal and I both agreed that the first one was the one for me, and it's the one you see in my pictures, I love it and it's me.

Zelda Noe
04-29-2006, 12:39 AM
Hi Veronica :wave2:

I'm not an expert...but I'd like to share some things I've learned...

You mentioned color, style, the shape of ones face, and the shade of the skin in your questions...

Color IS a big factor in choosing a wig, along with style. Color can vary from person to person. In other words, what looks good on me won't necessarily look good on you. To use myself as an example...I look good in brunette and certain types of blonde wigs...I look nice in a Auburn color, and I do NOT look good in black...it makes me look dead in my facial area.

Learn what your color psychology is...whadda mean "color psychology"? Well, each individual looks good in certain types of color, be it wig color, clothes color eye makeup color, etc. I'd suggest going to a wig store where you can talk to a salesperson, maybe a TG friendly store. Tell the salesperson you want to find correct wig color, along with correct wig style for yourself. If that person is experienced, they will know exactly how to help you, if not....then you take a chance of being possibly mismatched. I've learned that the look of a wig can be determined by two factors...one...facial shape...and skin color. For a example of jaw and facial shapes look at the website...Beauty Trends...I believe they list graphic drawings of facial shapes...yours will fit one of them primarily. At the wig store you go to...quite often the owner will let you try on wigs by charging you a small wig fitting fee...usually around $2-3. They require you wear a wig sock or head cover to keep the wig protected from hair oil or sweat. Anyway...try on different colors and get their opinion as to what looks good on you. Try blonde, brunette, black, Auburn, mixed colors. Then try on different lengths, short hair, medium length, long length. At this same time look for styles that appeal. If you are brand new in trying on wigs...ask for help...usually those with wig experience can look at your facial features and help you find the "correct" wig style and color at the same time. I see lots of new cders make the mistake of both wrong color and style in wig selection made.

Using myself as an example (look at my Avatar photo and my photos on the Photo Gallery)...I look good in blonde hair, sandy blonde and silver/white wigs. I also look real good in brunette (brown) color. I love the long hair style and have never worn any length less than medium long in any of my photos. In fact I prefer long hair wigs...but I'd be open to medium to short hair length only if they had more hair on top, rather than a long straight down type of look with a side part.

Depending on your skin color...wig color makes a huge difference, some wig colors will NOT look good on you because of skin color, eye color or just the fact that your color matching is wrong.

I am what is know as a person who looks good in "summer" colors...which are pastel, lighter, cheerful, warm colors. Blues, greys, pinks, purples, etc.

You might look good in "winter" or "fall" colors.

Do a search on the Internet and seach for "color psychology"...see what you come up with. Or use "clothes colors"? See what you find.

I'm 5' 9" inches myself. In fact we are quite the same in both height and weight. Because of your height, you might want to first off try a "long" hair length type of wig. If you natural hair color is Auburn, try womens wigs in that color. You might be a "winter" in color psychology is you are a natural Auburn haired person in real life.

Let us know what you come up with and show some photos. Hope all my rambling helps you.

Warmly, Dandy :happy: ;)

VERONICARH
04-29-2006, 05:33 AM
Dandy, Great advice I would love to go to a wig store, but I'm still in the closet. Do"nt have the nerve. If I had a cder close by to help I might consider it. Thanks for the help.

Kate Simmons
04-29-2006, 04:39 PM
Hi Hon,, Dandy has good advice. If you look in any wig catalog on line, it would give you an idea. They will have the models matched to the style. That's not necessarily the way I choose wigs though. If a certain style catches my eye, I immediately look at what sizes and colors are available. If everything checks out, I'll order it. Once I get it, I work with it until I get the right look for me as most of them can be styled in different ways. Bangs or no bangs. Poofy or straight--it's my choice. Once I get the look I want, I set it and forget it. Usually always get compliments in any case. It takes some experience in any case. Take care, Ericka