PDA

View Full Version : Do You Shop Close To Home

Joanie
04-29-2006, 09:49 PM
I have had makeovers and shopped for feminine items where I have let the clerks know it was for me, but all were out of town, away from home. With the wife gone, I called a department store nearby about some Lifestride mid-heel pumps and asked the assistant, named Katriana (I resisted saying, "Like the hurricane" as I imagine she is sick of that) if they had my size and color. She checked, came back and told me all about them.

Probably because I am sick of saying "They are for the wife" I then told her they were for me and asked if she had a problem helping men buy for themselves. She said not all. Called her back later to check on a different color and she sort of playfully spoke my name, saying hello. She was very reassuring and nice. She sounds like she is about 20, I am fifty.

Should I break my cardinal rule? I can't recall anyone named Katrina that I know anywhere and if I show up when they open this can be a quick purchase and out the door. Beats driving fifty miles, plus I am sick of this "buying for the wife" line!

Cherry Lynn
04-29-2006, 09:56 PM
I shop at the local Wal-mart and have never had the cashiers say anything or act like it was odd for me to be buying panties, hose or shoes. I just walk through the line and pay for it like it was for me but do not discuss it with them. Not many women wear a size 12 shoe so it probably is not hard to figure out who they are for. I bought several pairs of panties a couple of weeks ago and the lady never blinked an eye.

Joanie
04-29-2006, 09:59 PM
Interesting, most of the women's store that I call and ask a question treat it as no big deal. I did have a Victoria's Secret hang up on me when I asked them what their policy was about men coming in and trying on lingerie.

My fear though isnt' the reaction of the saleswoman, it's my boss and his wife walking in if I am trying on pumps or something.

Billijo49504
04-29-2006, 10:09 PM
I've had a problem with the Vioctoria Secret Stores, but this mornimg I bought a bathing suit from Sams club, the wife used to work here, and not a bit of a problem. I've alaso bought shirts from Avenue, she worked there too. And of the 3 Lane Bryant stores in our city, I shop at the closest one. So please understand, it's all about MONEY. And making the sale. They may talk between them selves, but they will treat you as a paying customer, because you are one.

Karren H
04-29-2006, 11:04 PM
I shop in the mall across from work and in the stores within 10 minutes of the house, usually in drab. But I try not to shop where my wife shops since she knows a lot of the clerks. I usually shop enfemme on business trips!!

Love Karren

Nikki Dee
04-30-2006, 05:08 AM
I buy clothes in my local towns...most of the time they ask no questions..if they do...I tell them the truth..."it's for me"...most don't bat an eye...some are surprised into silence...the common denominator.??...they ALL want your money.!!.
Nikki. x

Sharon
04-30-2006, 05:13 AM
There aren't any clothing stores within five miles of my home, except a few boutiques aimed at teenagers, so it really isn't a factor for me. I have, however, never called ahead to see if a store would be willing to allow me to shop there. I just do it.

ronda
04-30-2006, 05:24 AM
i shop at the same stores that my wife shops at i go shopping with her see things i like then go back later and buy them:D :happy:

CharlaineCadence
04-30-2006, 05:32 AM
i shop like the song. eveywhere I roam. I ran into an exgirlfriend while out en-fem she talked to me about the shes i was buying an then left. saw her later online and she didn't even ask just the old ho ya doing bs.

Foxy Lady
04-30-2006, 06:00 AM
I shop at our local Fashoin Bug, Lane Brynt, Payless and Wal=Mart among others with no problems.

Kate Simmons
04-30-2006, 06:09 AM
Hi Joanie, It depends on your confidence level Hon. Most sales people don't remember your face unless you are a regular customer, although women I've found can have a memory like an elephant! I've been in store buying makeup and pantyhose, etc. as Richard and one girl even asked if it was for me. It took me aback a little but then I said :yes". She smiled and said: "Wow, I'd like to see what you look like." I smiled at her and said:"Completely different!" She just gave one of those "women's playful smiles" and then I left. It was around Halloween at the time, so I didn't consider it a big deal. Another time, an older guy in a drugstore checked me out when I was buying makeup and just gave me sort of a disapproving grimace. I don't have a lot of time to go shopping so most of the stuff I buy is either by mail or online. I know what my sizes are and what shades of makeup I want, so I have very few returns. I have an ongoing customer relationship with a CS Rep at Beauty Trends for wigs, so I just order everything personally through her by E-Mail. She knows I'm a CD anyway and has even asked me about my adventures as Ericka. I've done the whole nine yards in the dressing stalls in stores but as I mentioned, don't have much time for mall shopping these days. Besides my wardrobe is bigger than my wife's. Time to have a yard sale I guess. In any case, have fun shopping Hon. It's a lot of fun. Take care, Ericka

RachelDenise
04-30-2006, 06:53 AM
Although I seldom buy locally, sometimes I do. It's not really a confidence thing, but fear of discovery for someone whom is not out to the world. Wife, friends and job are all issues here, not how nervous I am (which is still a little bit).

Tina Dixon
04-30-2006, 07:18 AM
I go to the Big town of Detroit when I really need stuff, its about two hours from home, have picked up some things at the local goodwill.

Eugenie
04-30-2006, 07:26 AM
I shop in local department stores as well as in retail shops near by. Never had a question. Only problem is that since i'm not "en femme", I can't try on the clothes... I've had to exchange some skirts, then its a little more touchy...

For shoes, I bought almost all of them away from home as I really wanted to try them on in the store and my public activity doens't allow me to come out near where I live.

Love.

Eugenie

Maria-Christina
04-30-2006, 09:04 AM
I go in all local shops as well as those in nearby shopping centres. If I have long conversations with female shop owners and it becomes obvious I just ask them how I look and ask for any extra tips.

I have had a couple of close (leg) shaves. One time I went into the local supermarket and in one aisle was my sister and her SO. I managed to divert down a different one. The other time my sister's SO was doing the lottery by the door of a newsagent I was in. I managed to go through the door and carry on walking without him noticing that lovely woman was me.

Maria

Deidra Cowen
04-30-2006, 09:29 AM
Maria thats funny as heck seeing some of your relatives at the grocery and newstand! Gald you dodged em..then fooled the SO! :evil:

michelle19845
04-30-2006, 10:58 AM
i either go to a checkout that has an older woman working there or try the self-check-out if the helper isn't paying too much attention to me.i prefer to go to a town that's not too close to home so i'm less likely to run into someone i know.

michelle19845

Jodi Lynn
04-30-2006, 11:40 AM
I shop at local stores all the time. The same stores that my wife shops at too.

Leilani68
04-30-2006, 11:51 AM
I go shopping on a regular basis wear I live and don't really worry about
who sees me get what, as they all know I am happily married......
Wife does a lot of shopping with me too, especially if she want's to pick up a
new item for me (try a new style or new article of clothing I've never had
before)...
Now with summer coming on the stores have hired new staffing for the season
,but so far no hassles as at least one of the other girls are there training them when I come in and they explain everything to them, so their are no future problems & no huge sales losses...:)

Shelly Preston
04-30-2006, 12:29 PM
I shop wherever the item I want is

Some things are hard to find locally
I dont make any commet about who it may be for unless it is raised in conversation. Only then will I decide what to say.

I have had no adverse comments why buying anything.
I only had one unusual look from a very young sales girl in a large department store. I was going to comment if I had spotted the manager on my way out, but it was not worth the hassle of asking for the manager at the sales desk.

Denise01
04-30-2006, 01:09 PM
When i go shopping now, i am totally femme, and i find it more comfortable to browse in the stores especially if other customers come in. For some reason i do not think it looks right for a man to be in a ladies wear store too long, unless he is waiting for his wife or S/O.
There is not much to shop at close to my home, so I usually go at least and hour to hour and half from home to give me a comfort zone.
There is one exception, there is an Addition-elle store in a Wal-mart plaza about half hour from home where i often shop.
have been in there so often lately, the sales girls know me by sight. If they do realize i am TG they sure do not show it.
Just this morning on the way home from a TG event, being dressed, i stopped into the store, to see what they had in dresses. Was looking at one nice summer dress, and the sales girl said, why don't you try it on. Got looking at tops that would go with it, and she asked, do you have any other skirts that would go with the jacket.
I have always been treated like any other Lady in this store, and probably that is why i keep going back, and yes i did buy the dress, as i only have 2 dresses, one i got a couple of weeks ago for a TG event i was at yesterday, and this one is a good dress to wear for an evening wether it be to a party, bar-b-que or just for a casual evening out

Denise

Lawren
04-30-2006, 04:01 PM
That depends on your definition of "close eto home". I shop within 25 miles of home but that is the nearest community of any real size nearby. I have never told any clerks that my purchases are for me but I think some of them have "read" me. There is a little boutique nearby where the lady propieter always makes certain that I know where the Plus sizes are so I think she knows.

Adrienne Heels
04-30-2006, 04:57 PM
I go to a salon , 2 consignment shops and accessory store, all a town or 2 away from mine. I am out to the ladies in all 4 of these places, and they are all cool with it.

carolbitv
04-30-2006, 06:28 PM
hi i shop locally in a small town also at women's store when i can. and payless love the shoes. not worried about people think.

Jodi
04-30-2006, 08:12 PM
I have shopped locally in the past. There are a couple of stores that know the items are for me. Now I shop at stores out of town. Since I retired, I have started coaching at a local high school, and I have become fairly well known. I now believe in discretion due to the job, and now rarely shop locally. The stores where I shop at distant malls know me and know the items are for me. I get excellent service and try on in the store while in drab.

Jodi

Jillian310
04-30-2006, 09:00 PM
I shop en femme and en drab at my fav stores, i.e., Fashion Bug, K-Mart, Torrid, Sears (Stockings), and in the Mall Department Stores, nearby and further away, depending on what I am doing at the time. I also have a running conversation with the GGs that hawk cosmetics at the department stores. They always suggest new items to me, trying to make a sale, and they want to give me a complete make over. (And sell their high priced items!) I always try things on, whether en femme or en drab, and am treated with courtesy and dignity at all times. Every once in a while I get looks from some GG customers, which I return with my best smile and continue with my business. It is fun competing with the GGs at the sale racks. Some very intersting chats have occurred there! BTW, not a good idea to ask to try panties and lingerie on. That just isn't done! And if you try on a bathing suit, it is expected that one will keep the panties on during the fitting. Conversely, guys don't try their underwear on at stores either.

Adrianne
04-30-2006, 09:14 PM
I shop in all my local shops. Less than 1/2 mile from my home.

Clare
05-02-2006, 09:51 PM
This has never been an issue for me since I got over the fear factor.

For five years I lived in a large city with multiple shopping malls, so I was quite happy to shop locally so to speak. For the past year I have lived in my small home town where many know me, so I've had to be a little more cautious. I have bought femme clothing here, but no lingerie.

I have never told any sales assistant that the femme items I was purchasing were for me (although I think many may have suspected).

gender_blender
05-02-2006, 09:57 PM
I shop where ever and whenever and as whichever gender I feel like, as I'm not afraid of being recognized by anyone.
Then again, I'm very open about who I am with everyone.

~Charlie

btmgrl6
05-02-2006, 10:04 PM
I usually shop in downtown Los Angeles.only because of the great deals. If I just need to pick something up... I go to the local mall. Today I treated myself to a manicure and pedicure right down the street from my house.