PDA

View Full Version : What have you girls done when you lose a toenail?

Abby Lauren
05-02-2006, 11:30 PM
Hi girls
I had a minor accident recently when I opened a broken and very sharp door jam directly into my big toe nail (UGH!) and it eventually separated and came off.
Normally, I love to keep my toenails painted but what does one do when the biggest nail is gone? Has anybody tried the fake nails (even though they're fingernails) or anything else? The podiatrist said it will be a year until it grows back. I love to wear open-toed heels especially in the nice weather. Any suggestions would be very happily received.

btmgrl6
05-02-2006, 11:34 PM
They also sell fake toe nails.... I kid you not. try your local drug store
hope ur toe feels better ouch! Omnly thing is.. I don't know how you'ed attach it. Gluing it directly to the skin might not be a good thing. Some come with double side sticky's tho..maybe that would work/ good Luck

Barb Valentine
05-02-2006, 11:36 PM
I don't know if this will work or not
how about a fake toenail ?

Wenda
05-03-2006, 12:18 AM
I think I saw some artificial toenails, or, oversized nails at WalMart.

DawnRodgers
05-03-2006, 12:57 AM
When the nail bed heals a bit you can just fake it by putting polish on the nail bed. The new nail wilk grow right in over it. It looks akay and ubless you have someone sucking on your toes it probably will go unnoticed.
Dawn

jackie66
05-03-2006, 04:39 AM
I limped

Jeanette TS
05-03-2006, 05:57 AM
Hi girls
I had a minor accident recently when I opened a broken and very sharp door jam directly into my big toe nail (UGH!) and it eventually separated and came off.
Normally, I love to keep my toenails painted but what does one do when the biggest nail is gone? Has anybody tried the fake nails (even though they're fingernails) or anything else? The podiatrist said it will be a year until it grows back. I love to wear open-toed heels especially in the nice weather. Any suggestions would be very happily received.

Hi well i was in a motorbike accident many years ago, I lost my big toenail and it will never grow back, all i do is paint them the same as the rest and i wear strappy sandals all the time. I have found that not many look at my toes just my legs. :p so no big deal here. I most say i have never stuck a fake nail on so i can't say if it would stay on all night out dancing. If it fell off then they may look.

Jeanette :bye:

Angela Burke
05-03-2006, 06:25 AM
Put it under your pillow before you go to sleep.
And in the morning when you awake the "toenail fairy" will have left you some money and you can buy some "fake toenails?", (I don't believe it !).

Abby Lauren
05-04-2006, 09:11 PM
Hey girls
I appreciated all your suggestions, from the practical to the hysterical one about the Toenail Fairy. I will also inquire from a manicurist (I may be having one this coming Thursday) and will pass on what I may learn. Apparently, there are fake toe nails and one person I spoke with applied glue to the nail bed to affix it. She said it becomes tough enough to do that but mine is still a bit tender to the touch. I also thought of putting on a bandaid and gluing the nail onto that. Painting the nail bed is a thought but I think it might look quite messy.
Since the podiatrist got rid of the actual nail, I wonder if the toenail Fairy would accept a brand new fake nail under my pillow.

Koneko
05-04-2006, 09:19 PM
now that's funny, I just tore half mine off moving a dresser earlier. Listen up girls... no matter how cute the sandals are, wear shoes when moving furniture!

Lilith Moon
05-05-2006, 06:47 AM
I had almost the same thing happen; the nail was a disaster... Now putting fake nails on sounds like a good idea, but when the nail is just starting to grow back you can actually harm it (grow back all funny, at least that's what my doctor told me).. I asked at a cosmetics counter and they suggested Sally Hanson’s NATURAL NAIL GROWTH ACTIVATOR. You brush it on like nail polish and that's it.. My big toe nail completely grew back in about 5 - 6 months.. and you would never know it was complexly destroyed....
Hope that helps..

I have a badly damaged big toenail that is regrowing, but is not attached to the nail bed any more. I will probably have to have it removed completely. This is a bigger procedure than you might expect and leaves people hobbling on sticks for a few days.

Tip: Don't wear sandals when lifting rocks :(

Karren H
05-05-2006, 06:50 AM
Stick-on toe nails at wall mart. First Kiss I think.

Love Karren

Tiffy
05-05-2006, 09:07 AM
Hi well i was in a motorbike accident many years ago, I lost my big toenail and it will never grow back, all i do is paint them the same as the rest and i wear strappy sandals all the time. I have found that not many look at my toes just my legs. :p so no big deal here. I most say i have never stuck a fake nail on so i can't say if it would stay on all night out dancing. If it fell off then they may look.

Jeanette :bye:

Jeanette, I have wondered for three years what to do. I had surgery and had my big toe nails removed and they will never grow back. Thanks for your input. Question though, how hard is it to get off once you paint them?

April Marie

Abby Lauren
05-06-2006, 07:03 AM
Just thought I'd let you know that I've bought some fake toe nails and the Sally Hansen product that Jean-p recommended. They say they guarantee nail growth in 5 days- and there are 2 different products. I also found that the big fingernail of the Kiss set seems to fit as well. How to affix it is still an issue but I will be experimenting and let you know.

Jeanette TS
05-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Jeanette, I have wondered for three years what to do. I had surgery and had my big toe nails removed and they will never grow back. Thanks for your input. Question though, how hard is it to get off once you paint them?

April Marie

Hi very easy :happy: I have no problem at all, It wipes off with nail varnish remover alot easier than the real nail. Mind you i am never with out my toes painted anyway:tongueout All you have to do is make sure that you don't go over bored with it as it sticks out like a sore toe :lol: hope this helps you.

Jeanette x

Tiffy
05-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Thank you Jeanette. BTW, your avatar is very nice.

April Marie