PDA

View Full Version : shopping for and trying on heels...in drab!

Adrienne Heels
05-04-2006, 10:07 PM
I had to go to the mall today during work at lunchtime in order to buy some guy clothes. So of course, after I finished doing that, my mind shifted into girl mode. I went into Macy’s to browse shoes. I was looking for a pair of black high heel pumps and also a pair of black boots. However, there was a guy working in the shoe department, so even though I saw a likely pair of pumps, I had to shift gears. So I went to Filene’s Basement, which is self-service, like Marshalls or TJ Maxx. Well, I tried on a few pairs of heels in the ladies shoe area, and no one appeared to mind at all. I think a couple of people saw me, but I really didn’t care. A pretty pair of black tailored Nine West pumps felt nice, but I wasn’t quite sure. And anyway, the checkout line was very long, so I said forget it today.

On the way out of the mall, I passed a Nine West store. No customers in there, so I stopped in. On the sale rack was a pretty pair of black mules, with a cowboy boot type front. Asked the girl if she had a 10. She checked…no, just 9. So I asked to try it on. She didn’t bat an eyelash. It was too small, so I decided to leave.

Got out to the car and thought about a pretty pair of boots I saw back at Nine West on sale. Turned right around and went back in. There was one customer in the store. I didn’t care. I asked if they had the boots in a 10. She did and I tried them on …the customer saw me doing that. They were perfect and I took them.. Going to go back next week and get a pair of black pumps there as they had a couple of different styles on sale. And maybe a pair of those mules in brown to wear with jeans.

On my way home from work, I stopped at another mall and browsed the ladies shoe department in Filene’s. I actually tried on a couple of pairs on display in my size, but the saleslady never approached me to ask if I needed help. At one point 3 salesladies were chatting with each other. I am thinking of stopping there tomorrow or Monday as I saw a couple of possible choices there.

I can’t believe I did all this in drab…and no one appeared to mind at all.

Jodi
05-04-2006, 10:18 PM
Karyn, As I said in my post on shopping, I tried on several pairs in guy mode, no big deal. The SA expected me to try them on.

Jodi

JiveTurkeyOnRye
05-04-2006, 11:26 PM
From what I understand, shoe stores, especially ones like Nine West which cater entirely on shoes, often operate on some sort of comission or at least incentive programs. I have to imagine that she saw you as a good SA should: as a potential customer. To not allow you to try on the shoes would have been completely counterproductive on her part.

Billijo49504
05-04-2006, 11:29 PM
All you have to remember is, YOU are the customer. And they want your $$Money$$.

uknowhoo
05-05-2006, 12:12 AM
What's more natural than a girl shopping for shoes. ;)

DawnRodgers
05-05-2006, 12:35 AM
I have frequently shopped in Pay Less. I wear a size 10 and put on a pair of knee highs or those little nylon foot covers they have all over the place and try on what I like. The other nice thing there is that, once you know your size, you can go to their web site, order what you like and pick them up at the store. If they are not right you can just return them. No problem.
Dawn

Kierci
05-05-2006, 01:00 AM
Good Going girl dont be scared its all good !!!! Hey Dawn thanks for that info I did not know that they would take them back at the store, watch me go shopping now hee hee hee

allisonrn06
05-05-2006, 07:22 AM
I recently went shoe shopping at JC Penney's and asked the sales associate for a size 11 in a shoe I liked.I didn't try them on,but the SA looked as if she wanted to ask if I was going to try them on.I've only tried a pair of women's shoes on once at the shoe store.I was taking a general psychology course at the time,and we had to do an assignment in which we were supposed to violate a social norm,and then write about how the public responded to it.So I went to a mall and tried on a pair,but no one noticed.I decided to buy them,then went into the public restroom, put them on and walked out of the mall in them.There was only one person that I thought really noticed, and he gave me an odd look. A man and woman whom I passed in the parking lot laughed as they went by,but I didn't notice if they had looked at my feet or not.They did say hello as they passed.I had fun with the assignment, and got an excuse to do something I would like to have done before,but wouldn't have had the nerve to try otherwise.

Jillian310
05-05-2006, 08:09 AM
I try on shoes whenever the mood strikes me, whether en femme or en drab. The only time anyone seemed to take notice was a gg's SO who obviously was dragged shopping by the fem, and wasn't comfortable being there. BTW, I love the thousand yard stare most of the guys get when dragged into the lingerie dept! The irony is, most can't wait to try to take that stuff off the SO's using every trick in their bag! But then I know how good it feels to have someone........................................... .......................................

Phyliss
05-05-2006, 09:03 AM
Last Summer I stopped into the local Torrid store in the mall, (now I've been a frequent visitor and customer there) but this time I saw a pair of 4" heels with a "T" strap that just called out to me. Not believing what I was doing I asked if they had a pair in size 12. "Let me check real quick" was her only answer. Two minutes later she showed up with them. Since I was wearing a pair of knee highs at the time I decided to try them both on. Fit perfectly. The gal asked if I'd walk to the end of the store and back to make sure they were correct. Happily I did so and loved every second of it. Of course I had to buy them. Her only question then was, "Cash or charge?"

I like shopping at Torrid.

DonnaT
05-05-2006, 10:05 AM
I've done so in Payless and DSW. Just have to make sure to have hose on. don't like those little nylon booties they give you.

Karren H
05-05-2006, 12:32 PM
Well. Congratulations!! And to the merchants a sale is a sale. After all it is about the money to them!! LOL

Love Karren

urban gypsy
05-05-2006, 12:39 PM
most of you are right assistants just want your sale.in the uk i use evans fashion or brantino and they mind me trying shoes on as i usually buy what i try.

JoAnnDallas
05-05-2006, 12:49 PM
I bought a pair of 3 1/2" slingbacks from WalMart about a month ago. I was in drab, but did have panties, pantyhose, and camo under my drab clothes. I had taken off my socks and was wearing my drab shoes over my pantyhose, so I could easly try on the heels. I had a female customer come down the alise while I was trying on a pair. She looked at the shoes, then at me and then smiled and went on down the alise. I got a great pair for less than $10, I'll post a picture of them later.

Rebecca C
05-05-2006, 01:11 PM
i do all my shopping in drab , iwas in abbottsford mall and was shopping for fem items . i had on a pair of white pantyhose ,pink bra and panties i had just bought from zellers under my drab clothes . i decided i wanted some new heels so i went into payless shoes, and was looking at some nice black 2.5 inch heels with a silver trim and bow . i found my size and just as i was about to take them off the shelf and try them on a young salesman asked if i needed any help , i told him no that i found what i was looking for . as he turned away i grabbed the box and sat down to try them on. i looked around and nobody was around so i put them on and walked around the back of the store , as i walked around i kept looking at the clerk that was now talking to a friend i presume . he just looked over and then looked away like nothing out of the normal, i took those heels off and tried on another pair did the same thing walked in them for a bit took those off and put my runners back on . i decided on the first pair so i took the box up to the till to pay for them. he opend the box and said to me how did they fit, i was stunned i did not expect that but i said to him they fit fine and he said good . he then asked me if i would like to buy the other pair for half price , i got scared for some reason and said no that these would be just fine . as i walked out he said to me thank you and come back again . i never really thought to much about it until today, but he was very nice and professional in the way he handeled himself and me as a customer . i will return there and buy more shoes of course .:happy:

michelleD
05-05-2006, 01:58 PM
I was just out shopping picking up new bras for the wife when I noticed a very sexy pair of thin strap pumps with 4 inch heels. I am just learn the balance and strut in heels and felt these shoes are a must. I asked if they had a size 11 mens and to my surprise they did. I dressed in drab and was equally surprised when they offered me a pair of anklet nylons to try on the pair of shoes. I kicked off my cowboy boots and slipped into a new expierence. The sales lady was very helpful with the wrapprd around straps and explained to walk first toe then heel down. Having a narrow foot was a blessing as the shoes fit great. Another sales lady rolled up the pant legs to show off my heel and calf. Looked so sexy. They then suggusted walking around the store on the different flooring and get use to the feel. It was great and I also bought ot new pair of nylons as well. The sales staff and I agreed that anbody should be able to try any item on if it is the right size and not be bothered about keeping secrets.

Jo Anne
05-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Done it in drab, but only in a self-service store. If I wear loafers (easy on, easy off) and thin socks, I can try on any number of shoes without attracting any attention.

Stiletto
05-05-2006, 02:25 PM
I've done it a few times.
Once in Dream Dresser with my wife looking for thigh high boots. While I was trying them on the assistant told my wife how cool it was for her to be there, most men that came in there for heels were by themselves.
Another time with the wife (again on the quest for thigh highs) we found a pair we both wanted but they didn't have them in stock so the assistant calls over to their other store. I was trying to be quiet about one pair for me when the assistant asks my wife what size. My wife asks across the store "What size do you wear?". This was right after my wife asked if they carried the heels in mens sizes! Oops. I was mortified for a second and then figured it was a sexy clothes store, they see this everyday and releaxed a bit.
I bought a pair of 3 1/2" heels at Payless for Haloween. The cashier asked if I had ever worn heels before and I told her I wouldn't be walking much - I didn't have the guts to tell her I can walk in 5" pretty well!
It's a thrill.

SoCalSuziCD
05-05-2006, 09:59 PM
I wear size 12W for woman and not too many shoe store carries them. I was driving home one time and I figured I needed to buy some heels. So I was in drabs, and walked in and asked the clerk for size 12W on that particular shoe I was going to buy. She asked if it was for your wife, and I said " no, it's for me" she looked stunned, but smiled seconds after. Well, oh well,

Other time in drabs as I was on a checkout, the lady asked if there was anything else? and i said "nope this is perfect for me." Hmm, the girl looked at me funny, but time goes on.....

Oh! at Ross, I had tried on ladies clothe en-femm, and the clerk at the dressing room looked funny, but laughed away.

cdcheryl
05-05-2006, 11:54 PM
I have been in payless many times just looking and was dying to try on shoes but was scared, after reading all these stories I guess I have nothing to be scared of so I am going back and trying on shoes.

Girly Boy CD
05-06-2006, 03:01 PM
I usually shop for high heels while in drab. Marmi's is a good shoe store that is open minded about men trying on high heels.

Nlenro-nu2
05-06-2006, 04:55 PM
Hi I have a pair of size 12 black high heels from Electic Boutique. they are one size too small for me! Anyone want them if so I will exchange them for size 14 ladies shoes or a plus size dress my waist is about 50 according to a Mens Wear place! I understand that women would say a mans 50 would be a woman's 25 is that correct with clothing?. yet with with shoes man has to add 2 or 3 inches to man's size. Interested in swapping? see www.swapandsave.com (http://www.swapandsave.com) you find me there easy enough!

randi_789
05-08-2006, 06:06 PM
I have shopped many times in drab at Payless. I always wear pantyhose under my pants and a pair of loafers when I go. Usually the pants are a pair of women's jeans. Usually I get a "may I help you with something?", say no and then am not bothered anymore. The first time I could hardly breathe, but now I have no concern for what others are thinking. The more you do it the more you are comfortable with it.

Ann lee
05-08-2006, 11:20 PM
this last friday when i went to walmart to get me my bra, i couldn't find what i wanted so i asked the clerk and she showed me, i got two of them and two different kinds wasn't sure what i wanted, went up and asked if i could try them on the lady clerk looked at me and sayed "you want to try these on" and i was like yes me and then she was like ok, showed me to the room and i tries them on came out and sayed i like this one and gave the rest to here to put back i sayed thank you and walked off, but you should of seen her face and another ladies, and a male customer? but i didn't care!!!, i've been getting pretty daring lately, some of my family saw me i din't want to stop, but they called me and told me it was ok!! each person is ther own. so i hung out with them for about 3 hrs saturday in dress, i loved it. i tink we all need to be a little more braver.

tiffiany
05-09-2006, 12:03 AM
Just last friday I was in trying on womans shoes at payless in drab. I had just finished my shopping trip at lane bryant and needed some shoes to go with the outfits I bought. I noticed there was a payless next door and went in and browsed. Im normally a 12 in womans, but wanted to see if a 11 would fit me also and so I tried them on in the store. After figuring out the sizes and looking I tried on a few more shoes even though there were other people around looking at shoes. I found something I liked and the nice lady rang me up with no problems. I said thankyou and left.

jjjjohanne
05-09-2006, 06:50 AM
I have gone shoe shopping at numerous stores. I wear size 12-13 in women's (USA sizes). I have found that department stores never have anything in my size. Also, you always need help in one of those stores. However, they have never been difficult or awkward about it. Most clerks never bat an eye. Most of my shoe shopping happens at Payless. They have cheap large shoes. It is a bit odd when I see women I know who are wearing shoes that I have an identical pair of.

Some clerks are more helpful and others keep their distance. I have never had a bad experience. I almost never go out as a woman. But I occasionally go out in all women's androgenous clothes. Most women prepare to give me a footie to put on and then realize that I have hose on. I have gone in shorts and hose and it may still take them until I take off my shoe to notice the hose. One lady gave me advice on some strappy open toe heels. She looked straight at my feet and made some comments about the shoes. Minutes later, she noticed the hose. I thought, "How could you not have seen my toes in hose in those shoes?!? Finally, I went out once as a man in a blouse (no bra), skirt, and black hose with flats. When I was in a payless, I couldn't tell if the clerks ever noticed me. Both clerks were stacking shoes on the rack. One was 10 feet to my right. I tried on some shoes, including heels, and walked in them. I was stunned that they never seemed to notice.

I try to be evasive from the public when I am dressed. Especially from children. However, I have never had anyone in the public give me a negative reaction. When shopping, like the time I wore the skirt, I was trying to be discrete and the sales reps were asking me why. The didn't seem to understand that a man might feel awkward walking around in public in a skirt or hose.... odd.

Joe