PDA

View Full Version : Dressing your age

Delila
05-05-2006, 01:22 AM
Well as of this week I am officially old (25) and i was just wondering at what age does everyone think is appropriate to stop dressing in "juniors" and start leaning towards "misses". I really love cute shorter clothes but now i am thinking it might be time to look at something more mature i would love to know what you all think.

Faye Emmette
05-05-2006, 01:32 AM
Megan, since we all enjoy dressing up, I don't think age is too important. Gosh, some of my skirts and tops are right out of the teen years looks as well as some of my more mature formal wear.
Just wear what makes you feel comfy.
XX
F.

btmgrl6
05-05-2006, 02:13 AM
If you've got it flaunt it. I don't think at 25 you have to be too concerned about what you wear, as long as it's appropriate for where you are wearing it. (try saying that five times fast.) You might want a sexy look for a night out clubbing. And maybe a little demure for luch, or shopping, or whatever. Or sexy for shopping, lunch or whatever. Good taste, I think will get you through

Steph

FionaAlexis
05-05-2006, 02:25 AM
Well as of this week I am officially old (25) and i was just wondering at what age does everyone think is appropriate to stop dressing in "juniors" and start leaning towards "misses". I really love cute shorter clothes but now i am thinking it might be time to look at something more mature i would love to know what you all think.

Megan '25' is still for young fashion....and take advantage of it. At 25 you can pretty much dress as you please. But as Faye says these days you dress the way you feel comfortable - I don't think it is so age bounded as it was when I was younger.

Fiona xx

Phyliss
05-05-2006, 03:38 AM
"Old" at 25???

I don't think so. When you get to 61 then you're almost OLD.

Double 25 and you've got 50, still middle age and loads of life life.

Double 61 and you've got a real good view of daisy roots and the scenery NEVER changes.

I wouldn't try a blonde wig and attempt to appear as a young girl, except in my dreams, however I do feel comfortable wearing clothes that are "right" for me at my age.

You can still wear juniors styles, and as long as you can, keep it going.

Kristen Kelly
05-05-2006, 03:54 AM

Hey Im 40 ish shop the juinors rack often. "Junior" is just another label and I hate to be labeled. You dont see club wear in the misses dept so I'll continue to be a junior.

Joy Carter
05-05-2006, 03:59 AM
Not ready for support hose, those black shoes like nuns ware, and outrageous sweat shirts with the seasons them painted on them. At fifty six I love the casual looks that Jessica London sells but I have noticed that you don't see a lot of middle agers displayed in clothing ads. :o Maybe time for a butt jack though.:rofl:

Phillis
05-05-2006, 04:11 AM
I am 64 and dress according to the mood I am in at the time. Most of my fashions are conservative. I try to dress as close to women my age I see on the street. I do not run around in very short skirts unless I am in the house and that is during very hot weather. Best wishes and best of luck.

Khriss
05-05-2006, 04:18 AM
... time to retire the "gogo" boots eh ? hehe:eek: :D xx"K"

Kate Simmons
05-05-2006, 04:29 AM
Like Phillis, I dress according to the way I feel at the time. I'm 59 but feel like I'm in my 30's ( just tell my body that after a night of partying) sometimes. As far as what I wear, I just always try to dress nice. I don't dress in micro minis with my bazoomers hanging out but with apologies to my dear late Grandmother, don't dress like her either. I'm always getting compliments on how I look. It depends on what works for you. Take care, Love, Ericka

GypsyKaren
05-05-2006, 05:37 AM
I'm 53, and though I've gotten a lot more conservative lately, I still pop into Juniors every now and then. I ususally save it for home and wear misses when I go out, but I do have this real cute short denim skirt I like to wear out sometimes. Just go with whatever mood you're in, that's what I do.

Karen

Lilith Moon
05-05-2006, 06:15 AM
As an older person I have two dress modes. Conservative for blending in when out and.....er freaky, ****ty or whatever...for me and the mirror. :)

geegee2
05-05-2006, 06:21 AM
you gotta rmember that your only as old as you feel. every time I get dressed I am younger then most. I can only say,dress what ever way you feel, I'm always gonna be youg:D lots of love,hugs and kisses to all GeeGee2

Karren H
05-05-2006, 06:45 AM

Well, I'm officially 2.16752 times your age (barring significant digits and rounding error) and I love to dress in Juniors short skirts too... Sooo when I move to the Misses department I'll send you a PM..hehehe

Love Karren

allisonrn06
05-05-2006, 07:00 AM
Megan, I am going to be 42 soon and I like a lot of clothes that would be considered juniors.Just yesterday I was with my wife while she shopped for some clothes for herself(she shops mainly in stores that are for juniors and young adults)and let me tell you,I'm going back to the Deb shop to get an item or 2 that I saw there.And the styles of shoes that I like, I find more often in brands that would be labeled juniors-I've owned more Mudd shoes than any other brand, for example.I say if you like it, wear it!!:happy:

Emily Ann Brown
05-05-2006, 07:18 AM
MEGAN.......I really don't have an answer, but when you find out at what age you have to stop wearing short skirts please let me know so I can consider tossing my short skirts and "young" tops out.

Emily Ann (50 plus)

Jillian310
05-05-2006, 08:00 AM
Hmmm~I lean toward short stuff. I am almost 69, and today I will go to the mall in short shorts, a cutesy top, big boobs, nice makeup and jewelry (love gold!), pink sandals and my toenails are also painted pink, and of course my pink rimmed Paris Hilton sunglasses! I like them so much I will probably wear them in the mall and walk into the walls! Giggle! :D

Toni
05-05-2006, 08:05 AM
At 25 I think you can wear just about anything you want (Unless you've got bandy legs) so go for it girl. Dress older when you get to 55/60 and even then you don't need to look like a pensioner.

Kate Simmons
05-05-2006, 08:19 AM
Well, I'm officially 2.16752 times your age (barring significant digits and rounding error) and I love to dress in Juniors short skirts too... Sooo when I move to the Misses department I'll send you a PM..hehehe

Love Karren
How are we supposed to figure out your age with a factor like that? I think you're purposely trying to confuse us,but then, again I KNOW your age GF. Don't worry I won't tell anyone (Not much!) LOL Love, Ericka

Teresa Amina
05-05-2006, 08:44 AM
The important thing is How You Look In It. After all, aren't most of us anatomically males? Kinda silly to worry about our chronological age if That doesn't stop us from dressing girly! Buy that look you want, put it on, look in the mirror- Does it look appropriate for You? Do you think it'll "pass"? Then go for it! If not, take it back.:)

MsEva
05-05-2006, 08:51 AM
Agree with most of the posters..25 is really quite young and you can dress in juniors without any issues. I turn 49 this summer. I have sort of changed my dress to suit my age. My wife has noticed the change too and is quite happy with my look.

kathy gg
05-05-2006, 08:59 AM
Okay Megan, no better way to make us all feel older than by saying 25 is old! hahah....I can remember being 19 and thinking 30 was ancient...of course now at 34 I am like...hey....34 is the new 20!

Okay do you go out dressed? no one asked that. i mean if you have the body to pull off those 20-something sexy clothes and stuff then go for it. But if you are not rockin' the size and you go out, then the less protruding and hanging out the better. {at any age}

But if you just dress at home, hey who cares....you only have to see you.

Also, for alot of guys make up takes at least 5 yrs off a face. At yoru age you dont' have those wrinkles and leathery skin, so chances are you can keep that young look now if you make a small effort to take care of your skin and dont' smoke. I can usually take gueses at who smokes by people's avitars, it ages the face in a way that nothing else does. WOmen to, no exception there either. Too much sun, too much smoking and not enough sleep will age you.

And your face is the determining factor to me about age appropriate clothing. Nothing is more sad than a mom trying to dress liek her daughter with the face of of an old boot, regardless of how rockin' her body is.

Enjoy your youth....it goes by much too quick!

carol ann
05-05-2006, 09:59 AM
I am middle aged and however I dress i am going to appear that way. Nevertheless, that doesn't stop me trying to knock at least a few years off with the clothes i wear and the hair style I adapt.

Delila
05-05-2006, 10:58 AM
thank you all for your comments while I dont go out much I tend to try to be as lady like as possible and in my oppinion that also involves keeping with styles that are age appropriate. I always see these women in there 40s and 50s that are trying to dress like they are 13 and somehow to me it just doesnt look right. That was the main reason that i was asking. Thanks again for the advice.

Clare
05-06-2006, 02:36 AM
I try to dress my age (43) most of the time. No clothing obviously designed for the 'young' in my closet!

But, I do tend to dress to a classy standard more so than what an everyday GG my age would present as. Call it taking more pride in my appearance or vanity, but that's how I feel about it!

I go with the 'dress your age and you'll blend in better' philosophy.

Deanna2
05-06-2006, 08:30 AM
Hey, the whole dressing up bit is a fantasy, so you can be any age you want to be and dress in a style that suits your mood. Right now I'm wearing a (very) mini skirt that any teenage girl would be happy with. I've been wearing it all evening and my wife hasn't said 'Boo' about it.

Esther
05-06-2006, 09:24 AM
'cuz i'm middle aged and dress that way. all my skirts are below the knee and my heels are 2 inches, tops. when i really 'need' shorter skirts and tall spikes i borrow them from my SO! problem is, i can't sit in her skirts or stand (for very long) in her spikes. (she has a rule when we're out together: my skirts or dresses have to be longer and my heels lower than hers, unless we're both wearing flat heels of course. i know not to break that rule, so sometimes when she changes i have to go change too.)

Sam-antha
05-06-2006, 02:18 PM
I suppose that the need for a walking stick or some other contraption would preclude dressing up and going out in a micro.
Going out requires thought, how close am I going to be to a lot of people ? If not close, then most goes. That includes busy city, trains, buses and such like places where folk do not look at you.
For me, ancient, I will wear anything going that appeals to me when I bought it. (Well not always, there is a dress that I loved from the sixties and I wore it the other day after finding it in the attic. OMG.
Must make a horror photo for youse). Made it. It sucks. the style was known as "Sack". Just me, no trimmings really, eg. man watch.
I still have a reasonable body, but there are face wrinkles, and for walking past people, these can be concealed sufficiently. (No pics of that lot for you)
Minis do not usually get worn in the street unless it is real hot. But on the whole it is just a case of being sensible out and doing what I want in the house and garden, that includes garden and other sunning in a thong. Private place bathing in a bikini...(pic coming up sometime)
~Samm

Delila
05-07-2006, 04:42 AM
this is my first thread to go past 2 pages and im very excited. I want to thank you all for your replies and advice.

FionaAlexis
05-07-2006, 05:04 AM
Good for you, Megan.

I'm twice your age and the question for you is 'What do you think these 'old' girls of 35, 40, 50 and beyond SHOULD be wearing?

Fiona xx

Jennaie
05-07-2006, 05:38 AM
I don't think a 25 year old needs to worry about dressing her age. At 50, you need to dress your age.

FionaAlexis
05-07-2006, 06:00 AM
I don't think a 25 year old needs to worry about dressing her age. At 50, you need to dress your age.

I totally agree Jennaie. But I think these days the border lines of acceptability and what is well dressed are a more vague. I remember when my grandmother was my age [and I accept that fashion standards were different then] but dressed 'old' in comparison to my mother and my aunts. Nowadays there seems less difference between age bands after say, age 35.

Today I saw a woman, I know, in her early 60s - she was wearing a wide navy boho skirt and matching fine knit top. A pair of flat patent burgundy shoes and had long strap bag worn sash like, the bag hanging at her waist. She worn dark tan patterned hose. She looked great. But it was a style that could just as easily be worn by a 25 year old.

Fiona xx

Amelia Moxon
05-07-2006, 06:12 AM
....I’m 22 and personally I dress in what I see other girls my age wearing, usually a cute top, coupled with a pair of jeans and some sexy shoes/boots.
See my : -
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30118
post.
Its up to you what you wear girl!

Hugs
Amelia xxx

Sam-antha
05-07-2006, 06:13 AM
Jennaie, at any age you need to take care how you dress. Under 50 it does not matter too much, over that take care where you go.

FionaAlexis
05-07-2006, 06:44 AM
You clearly know how to do it right, Samm.

Krystenw
05-07-2006, 09:29 PM
My wife just gave me this outfit for my 57th birthday.
Krysten

maid phylis
05-07-2006, 09:46 PM
:love: :doll: megan ,i wish i was 25 all over again ,you are a very lucky girl to have been able to start your journey into this lovely world we are all in ,so take advantage of your age and be a sweet chick and enjoy whatever you wear .but just dont over dress and stay a sweet 25 year old .phylisanne