PDA

View Full Version : arm hair...still trying to decide

Kaitlyn Michele
05-05-2006, 08:26 AM
some questions for those that take the plunge..

i am thinking of shaving it off, nairing it off, or coloring it???? is that even possible?? i could make i blonder and less noticable?? bad idea i bet, has anyone tried that?

if that looked ridiculous i'd be forced to shave it off...how long to grow back..i'm on family vacation from july 20 for a week...probably would want it back by then...is 4 weeks enough to grow back?

i shaved my chest and hair grew back in about a month..

also does the stubble itch like crazy so you have shave every day once you do it???

thnx for any input!!!

LindaTS
05-05-2006, 08:42 AM
Hi Michele,
I know what's going through your mind when it comes to shaving the body parts. I took the plunge quite a few years ago and no one, other then a doctor in the ER, ever questioned me about it. In that case, he mentioned something about shaving my chest, I just said that was the way I prefered it. End of conversation! I keep my whole body shaved, even "down there". I've never regreted it.

Caitlintgsd
05-05-2006, 09:03 AM
I keep my arm hair short via electric clippers (the kind for giving haircuts) at the shortest length possible. Then I bleach what's left with a product made for bleaching body hair. I get mine from Sally's Beauty Supply. I used to shave my arms but thought it looked as natural as a shaved rabbit.

Annaliese
05-05-2006, 09:19 AM
some questions for those that take the plunge..

i am thinking of shaving it off, nairing it off, or coloring it???? is that even possible?? i could make i blonder and less noticable?? bad idea i bet, has anyone tried that?

if that looked ridiculous i'd be forced to shave it off...how long to grow back..i'm on family vacation from july 20 for a week...probably would want it back by then...is 4 weeks enough to grow back?

i shaved my chest and hair grew back in about a month..

also does the stubble itch like crazy so you have shave every day once you do it???

thnx for any input!!!
I keep my arms shaved year round. I shave them every day because the stubble is back in two days there has been no stubble itch. I have never let it grow back since I shaved, to about three yours ago so I don't know how long it take to grow it back. I also use Jergens naturally smooth every day on my arms and legs. I have never been real hairy little hair on my chest and my arms and legs the hair is thin and light. I have only had a female doctor and a nurse say any thing.

Anna

loriannetucson
05-05-2006, 10:51 AM
Oh, what a challenge for us t-girls! I have shaved in the past, but I was always afraid of people noticing. My wife didn't like the look either. So then I bleached my arms using hair lightener. It worked well and looked quite nice. However, I still had a lot of hair. Just this week I decided to use hair clippers and clipped them down to the lowest setting, about 1/4 inch. It looks and feels great! To top it off, I put nair for men on them, especially on the underside where most people can't see, and washed it off in about 1/2 the time recommended. This took off a lot of it in random areas, but I don't have spots of hair missing. I'm sure I could have really messed up if I didn't do it right, but it looks great, I can see the contour of my arms all the time, NO ONE at work or anywhere has even noticed or said anything. Just having a little hair is enough for people NOT to notice. You certainly don't want shaving bumps everywhere on your arm either. You'd get noticed in a heartbeat. Good luck!
Lorianne

Kaitlyn Michele
05-05-2006, 11:35 AM
great answers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what are hair clippers?? (Meep)

where can i get them?

and is there a big difference between ..bleach and hair color??

MsEva
05-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Tried the hair color...blonde...after doing my DW's touch up of highlights...not happy with the results.

Karren H
05-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Well do what I do. I bleach my fore arm hair with cheap dollar store blonde hair color. Lasts a couple to 3 months. Makes the hair almost invisible yet doesn't give that shaved unnatural look!! Been doing it for years. Looks like tge sun bleached it out.

Love Karren

EricaCD
05-05-2006, 12:59 PM
For clippers you can use a beard/moustache trimmer. These come with an adjustable bracket so that you can keep the hair at a certain length. I keep the top-side of the forearm trimmed to the shortest length and shave the underside of the forearm, the upper arm and the back of the hand. Works like a charm and nobody has said a word. It takes me about 15 minutes a week to keep things more-or-less in order.

Siobhan Marie
05-05-2006, 03:16 PM
I shave my arms with a lady's razor, am happy with the result.

:hugs: Anna x

Kate Simmons
05-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Well do what I do. I bleach my fore arm hair with cheap dollar store blonde hair color. Lasts a couple to 3 months. Makes the hair almost invisible yet doesn't give that shaved unnatural look!! Been doing it for years. Looks like tge sun bleached it out.

Love Karren
HMM, For someone with light hair to begin with, that's not much of a challenge, Hon. I hate you! (again!). Just kidding Karr, you are "standard setter" in my book! Love, Ericka

Jennaie
05-05-2006, 06:39 PM
Your not going to get any itch form shaving your arme, Just do it, pull you sleeves up and let everyone know that your an up to date man, most women don't really care one way or the other about body hair.

Kate Simmons
05-05-2006, 06:39 PM
I shave my arms with a lady's razor, am happy with the result.

:hugs: Anna x
I know Hon, I did also but I've noticed something. The lady trac II's are more expensive than the men's (because they are pink, maybe?). They both cut the same but now I use the regular ones to save a few cents. Ericka

michelle19845
05-05-2006, 06:45 PM
luckily i don't have much,but it's a lil bit of concern for what i wear goinng out.

Deedee_tv
05-05-2006, 11:50 PM
I think worrying about arm hair and peoples perception raises the much bigger issue of personal choice. Is anyone concerned with what people perceive about the color of their house or car? What kind of dog you own? My point is it is none of their business and get over it and move on with your life.

I am 40 years old and I couldn't give a damn if anyone thinks I have too much or too little hair on my body. I would never say anything to anyone about their personal choices (bad haircuts, bad clothes, etc) so why would I expect them to treat me any differently.

I could quash any rude persons unrequested comment in about 2 seconds by pointing out how they had chosen to wear really ugly and outdated (pants, shoes, make-up, hairstyle, etc.) but society wasn't judging them because they made their own choice, regardless of how bad it was.

Please friends, don't sweat this small stuff. Live your life.

deedee_tv

Scotty
05-05-2006, 11:59 PM
I only have one small patch of chest hair so I hit it every 3 days in the shower.......I don't have to shave often, one lucky family trait......every 3 days whether i need it or not (Face included)....

Legs are every week though, they get stubble fast.

a female friend pointed out to me once that if you get goose bumps, bye bye clean close shave. I started paying attention to it and she was right.

On the arms, I did the razor, trimmed it shorter and shorter each day. Eventually just shaved it all off and nobody noticed. I was nervous. But I keep the underside shaved and the top less than half an inch. My hair is already feminine looking, soft........family trait I guess. Pits are always shaved, always have been since I can remember...I just did. I had a guy notice at hte lake one day when I was out with my at the time G/F and my daughter. Oh well, such is life.

A lot of guys s have their chest too - so no worries there........that's an in thing anyway...

I feel for you that have dark stubbly hair, I don't know what I'd do - probably get it laser'd off or something!

Kaitlyn Michele
05-06-2006, 08:05 AM
it's just i have kids, i dont want them asking or wondering about it..

in the end, i agree completely that people cant tell me what to do and that they dont have the right to judge etc etc

but i just dont want to deal with the question at this time..i've been looking around and yesterday a guy (6'5") waited on me in the video store..dark hair on his head...nothing anywhere else..didnt see his legs...smoothest arms i ever saw!!!

but people know me, its summer, i'm just trying to play the middle and not have to deal with my 9 year old asking if i shave my arms

i think the trim and bleach might be the way to go..i'm quite confused thought about how to trim with out it looking like stubble.

Scotty
05-06-2006, 12:25 PM
If you have dark arm hair it would be harder I imagine.

I suppose being a blonde is easier as it's invisible mostly anyway, until summer comes and I get tanned - then it sticks out like sore thumb - but that may be an advantage, dunno.

Try cutting it down to a shorter level?

Sometimes I think we are over-self-conscious, when in fact might be that nobody will ever notice?

:)

JeanneF
05-06-2006, 07:12 PM
I shaved my arm hair off about six months ago. I wear t-shirts constantly and generally roll my sleeves up at work, and no one has ever made a comment about it.

Personally, I don't think it look unnatural shaved. I just run a razor up my arms in the shower every morning to zap whatevers grown overnight. Takes about 30 seconds, and makes it so I can wear sleeveless tops when I go out. Legs are much bigger PITA to maintain than arms.

jamie_44
05-06-2006, 07:30 PM
I'm lucky that I don't have a lot of hair but I do keep the arms smooth with the electric razor. Told my wife, I am totally against body hair and she laughed. I do get a little nervous at the family summer pool parties but nobody has said anything, so I'm stayin smooth!

Sally24
05-06-2006, 09:33 PM
I shave my arms and it takes at least a couple of weeks to start looking right again in male mode. If you have fairly long arm hair then it will take considerabley longer to look normal again. What I usually do in the summer is just nair my hands, feet and ankles and wear something long in length, but light weight. I may go shaved all summer this year though....still thinking.