PDA

View Full Version : I'm very cautious

Win Der Mere
05-05-2006, 08:31 AM
Hi again,

Thanks to all for your advice and greetings. I've moved on from intros.
Sure I'm serious in my intentions, I've thought about it for a very long time, but I'm a careful sort of person, and a planned move is rarely regretted.
So, size 3 says Joy, I daren't just bowl into Asda ( part of Walmart ) and get some size 3s. I might be seen by someone I know, and I'm sure I'd look furtive, even if I wasn't, and, anyway, I might not be size 3 !
I need tuition on sizes.
Toyah : great idea, thank you. A mini skirt and stockings. More sizing trouble.Trial and error could get expensive, and what do I do with the "errors" ? Long smooth legs, mmmm, how do I justify shaving them to my wife ? , and the other bits ? Where do I stash my gear ? I'm not trying to be negative, merely cautious and practical.
Dalesman.

carol ann
05-05-2006, 10:11 AM
I am sure that most of us have been through this and to some degree we still do. it is more difficult for you living in a relatively remote part of the country where your access to large city stores is somewhat limited. However a trip down to Blackpool, Manchaester, Preson, Oldham or even Lancaster is not that much out of the question and you are unlikely to be known there.

It is fairly easy to give you a guide on sizes if you let us know your height, build and weight.( and it can only be a guide because we are all a different shape and manufacturers are not always consistant in their sizing)

For example I am 5'11" and 13 1/2stone [83 kilos] with a 40 chest and 33" inside leg - I find I wear size 18 tops and dress and 16 skirt 38b bra and extra large tights or stockings. Asda sell extra large tights with additional stretch that will fit most sizes. Marks 7 Spencers or British Home Stores are good to shop in and for lower prices you can experiment at Primark if you have one in your area.

DonnaT
05-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Shoe sizes are a problem with so many different makers, etc. Best try them on.

I wear a men's US 7.5 but a women's US 8.5. So the size charts aren't alway accurate.

As for other sizes:
The internet is fine if you know your sizes AND you trust the sizings listed on thw web site. There are a number of companie/manufacturers that size things to seem smaller than they really are.

Otherwise, it's best to shop in person. Start at a CD friendly store. Call ahead and ask if they will let you try on clothes.

If you can't find one, shop at a department store with both mens and womens clothes, Get what you want to try on in the womens section and go to the mens dressing room and try it on. Most of the places I shop do not have an attendant watching the dressing rooms.

Then there is the "string method" of shopping.

Take a long string, mark of the various body measurements using different color markers (red for waist, blue for chest, etc.) And use the string to measure the garment to see if it will fit. Guaranteed to work.

http://crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=108688&highlight=string#post108688

Siobhan Marie
05-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Have had a look at the thread you linked to Donna, very handy, have bookmarked it, even though I know my sizes. To measure my bust, I managed to borrow mum's dressmaking tape.

:hugs: Anna x