PDA

View Full Version : Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West

KewTnCurvy GG
11-12-2004, 10:34 AM
What a wicked, wickedly good book this was; it's by Gregory MacQuire. This is a much more dark and twisted Oz set before The Wizard of Oz. Elphaba who is the wicked witch of the west is a strange creature, but pretty much described as female. However, she has a relationship with another creature who's gender and sexuality (told ya, darker and more twisted Oz) is never quite clear. This is one of the most clever and imaginative books I have ever read. Highly recommend. Wonder if others here know of or have read. Thoughts? Reactions?

hugs
kew

KewTnCurvy GG
11-12-2004, 10:44 AM
A review, to tease:

But its early press was on the money, too. The Los Angeles Times said "Wicked is a staggering feat of wordcraft... . Maguire has created one of the great heroines in fantasy literature." Wally Lamb, author of She's Come Undone, wrote that "I fell quickly and totally under the spell of this remarkable, wry, and fully realized story." And in an essay on evil in The New Yorker magazine, John Updike referred to only three writers: Shakespeare, Milton, and Gregory Maguire, calling Wicked "an amazing novel."

Wicked tells of the birth, education, romance, career, and quixotic demise of Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West—the woman who, played by Margaret Hamilton in the famous MGM film of The Wizard of Oz, cackled at Dorothy, "I'll get you, my pretty! And your little dog, too!" As much a Dickensian novel of fate and character as an exploration into the seamy underside of Oz politics and culture, Wicked has been sighted in bookstores under various headings: Literature, Feminism, Fantasy and Science Fiction. It has been on bestseller lists in national and in gay newspapers. It is both postmodern and traditional. It's not for everyone—only for the wicked.

http://img43.exs.cx/img43/1586/wickedwitch.jpg :eek:

KewTnCurvy GG
11-12-2004, 11:46 AM
Okay, so maybe a new title to me thready will get your grrlies and bois attentions!

Oops, I thought retitling me first posty in the thread would retitle the thread.:rolleyes:
hugs
kew

clarissa3d
11-12-2004, 11:48 AM
So Kew what are you upto???

KewTnCurvy GG
11-12-2004, 11:50 AM
:p

Ummmm, (looks around) working?? LOL Really, I have been. Actually going out to see clients but will be on tonight grrlies. I'll catch you on yahooy Clarissa.

And, I read this book when it came "out" [pun:p] several years ago.

hugs
kew

ChristineRenee
11-12-2004, 12:16 PM
Haven't read it but sounds like an interesting book Kew.

Not that I can replicate it over the Internet mind you...but I'm told I do a dynamite vocal version of Margaret Hamilton as the Wicked Witch of the West. She actually was a real sweet lady in real life, bless her heart...and what she went through to play that part getting facial burns from the melting scene....whoa! What a memorable character it was that she played too...she scared the Beejesus out of me as a kid! Probably why that voice stayed with me for so long....couldn't get it outta my head!

I'll have to check out that book now...sounds like a real good read.
Thanks for posting it Kew.

Love,
Christine Renee