PDA

View Full Version : Fake Nails

Krystenw
05-09-2006, 11:17 PM
I am on vacation and spending the week as a lady and wanted to do my nails. I have used the nail glue that comes with the nails but it messed up my actual nails pretty badly. I read the other thread about using other types of nail glue. I went to a guitar store and tried to buy some of the gorilla snot and they told me that they haven't used it in years. I went to the hardware store and bought some weldwood contact cement. You put it on both surfaces to be glued and waite 15 minutes and then stick it together. It looked pretty nasty under the nails but it is working pretty well. They stayed on when I washed the dishes. When I went to work in the shop I caught one on a board and ripped it off. To my surprise only the fake nail came off and not mine. I just rubbed the old glue off and put some more on, waited and stuck it back on. So far so good.
Krysten

DanaJ
05-10-2006, 04:39 AM
Hi Krysten - your nails look great! I just wanted to say, there must have been something ekse going on with the other nail glue you used, there is practically no way that it can mess up your natural nails if applied and removed correctly. I had done this dozens of times in the past with no ill effects.... and be careful when using alternate glues, make sure to read the label carefully to make sure there that it can be used on the skin or nails.....

Karren H
05-10-2006, 06:59 AM
WOW Krysten, they look great! I use the First Kiss stick on nails. Mainly because of my "just-in-time" crossdressing style. Hehehe. But they have the glue already on the nails and if applied corectly last as long as I need them to (1 hour to 3 days). LOL. Never thought of using rubber cement. May be able to get a few extra miles out of the stickons!!

Love Karren

TGMarla
05-10-2006, 07:34 AM
Nice nails! Now, you listen to your Aunt DanaJ! She's a seasoned veteran at this nail thingy!

Sharon_Rose
05-10-2006, 09:25 AM
I discovered [by accident] that if you apply lotion to your hands before you apply glue, the nails still stick BUT they don't leave a mess and they will come off more cleanly.

LizBeth
05-10-2006, 02:21 PM
WOW Krysten, they look great! I use the First Kiss stick on nails. Mainly because of my "just-in-time" crossdressing style. Hehehe. But they have the glue already on the nails and if applied corectly last as long as I need them to (1 hour to 3 days). LOL. Never thought of using rubber cement. May be able to get a few extra miles out of the stickons!!

Love Karren
how do you get the stick ons off , in a hurry LOL and can you use them again ?

DanaJ
05-10-2006, 02:46 PM
Yes, they are pre-glued and you can get them off in a few minutes, warm water will help speed it up too. You can usually reuse the Kiss One-Steps about 2 or 3 times I think....

MarinaTwelve200
05-10-2006, 04:25 PM
I use super glue myself---The liquid seems to work better than the gel.

It is really the same thing as good "Nail Glue" (Cyanoacrilate), but in a different package and cheaper.

Part of the trick of using glue to hold nails on is NOT to cover the entire nail with glue---But only generally along the center of the natural nail end to end, so the fake nail, once applied, has strong resistance to vertical stresses----But can be easily peeled or snapped off by prying sideways between the natural nail and the fake one, near the bottom.

Any remaining glue can be washed with nail polish remover---It the fake nail CANT be removed----Soaking it in Nail pokish remover will do the job.

Karren H
05-10-2006, 04:38 PM
how do you get the stick ons off , in a hurry LOL and can you use them again ?

They just pull off and I can typiclly use them for up to 3 times. I always keep 2 or 3 packages of them painted and ready to go for those quick changes. LOL

Love Karren

Karren H
05-10-2006, 04:40 PM
I discovered [by accident] that if you apply lotion to your hands before you apply glue, the nails still stick BUT they don't leave a mess and they will come off more cleanly.

If I don't clean the nails very good, then they don't stick well at all. And the small amount of glue left on my nails gives me something to do in a meeting or on the drive home!! hehehe

Love Karren

Sally24
05-11-2006, 10:50 PM
The super glue that most nails come with can mess up the surface of your own real nails. Mine get a little "etched" in the surface for a week or so after I take them off. It's not any remnant of the glue as I work well at getting all of that off. Must be some nails react differently to the glue.