PDA

View Full Version : maintenance on WIGs

ieya
11-13-2004, 04:44 PM
i have 3 wigs.

One long down to bum lengh wig brown
One neck lengh brown
one sixties high up in the hair wig black.

Now im having trouble coming them as i seem to be losing awful lot of hair out of them.

Also one needs a clean. Any ideas how to do this?

love ieya
xxxxxxxxxx

Bernadina
11-13-2004, 07:11 PM
Sorry, I can't help with hair falling out. I little bit is to expected when the wig is brushed. A lot of hair loss shouldn't happen with a good quality wig.

If the wig is synthetic, swish it around in the sink with warm water and a mild detergent. Rinse and let it drip for few minutes. Hang somewhere to dry. Brush only after it is completely dry. Avoid the use of wig shine products. They often contain volatile solvents that are not good for wigs or people.

If they are real hair, then do the same only use a mild shampoo. Rinse and use a good hair conditioner for about 5 minutes. Rinse and hang to dry. Style like any real hair.

I like to use natural or organic products with no artificial (chemical) fragrances etc. The additonal chemicals can cause the wig harm. (Same could be said for our own hair as well.)

Hope that helps.

babe4life
11-13-2004, 07:19 PM
I was given the following instructions for my synthetic wigs and it has been brilliant for me.

~~~~~~~~~~
As far as the "animal" is concerned, my guess is you have not washed it correctly. On the assumption its synthetic, wash it is luke warm wter in the basin or better still use a plastic bucket full of a solution made from water and normal dish washing liquid (we call it Fairy, I think it was green and called Sunlight in SA). Then rince it under cold running water until all the sopa suds have gone. The soak it back in the bucket in cold water and some liquid fabric conditioner for about 30 minutes. The rinse out gently for a minute or two and comb with a wig brush and dry on a collapable wig stand or hanging on the shower head. When dry brush it gently into shape. DO NOT USE A COMB OR REGULAR BRUSH, IT MUST BE A WIG BRUSH i.e. A BRUSH WITH LITTLE ROUND TIPS ON THE END OF EACH BRISTLE

~~~~~~~~~~

Love,
Vicky

Georgette
11-13-2004, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the info Girls I was wondering the same thing although I have one real hair that I haven't cleaned yet any advice on that one. Have 2 synthetic though.
Hell I have had a problem with hair falling out since I was 40 and it is still disappearing from some spots. :mad:
Hugs

CharlotteSomers
11-13-2004, 08:46 PM
I dont know if this is good for the wig or not, but I just use normal hair products on my human hair wig. I like to use Pantene because of the smell. If I want my hair straight, I just wash it, brush it out and let it dry. If I want to add some body and some waves, I wash it, put in some curlers and let it completley dry. It holds the curls really well.

The straight hair is on the left and hair with curlers in in the right.

http://www.planettgirl.com/images/wig.jpg

Georgette
11-13-2004, 10:08 PM
The thong looks nice . Oh! the hair is too! Just kidding you look great. HUGS Georgette
Thanks for the advice

Bonnie-OR
11-14-2004, 12:07 AM
When I got my first wig, I got a discount on wig shampoo and conditioner. Most online sites have a section explaining care and how to purchase products. Charlotte your hair looks great, and the rest looks pretty good to. Huggs, Bonnie

Marlene4a
11-14-2004, 01:14 AM
I was told to soak them in Woolite for a while then rinse them with cold water, and hang them upside down, until they drip dry. ( I am talking about wigs here, not your neighbors or friends that did you dirt)

This will keep them "fuller".
However, losing hair ? Well, I am not sure about that one.
Synthetic wigs, do lose hair.
Real hair wigs are better of course, but more temperamental I am told.

Me