PDA

View Full Version : You don't think they know who we are?

Ms. Donna
05-11-2006, 05:48 PM
In general, we as a group have the uncanny ability to convince ourselves of almost anything - especially that people don't 'notice' things about us. Just because someone doesn't say something, doesn't mean that they haven't noticed something.

Then, there are those times when they let us know to our faces.

Coming up out of Penn Station this morning, amongst the other people handing out free newspapers and flyers, there were a few women stopping other women and handing out some promptional cards. I walked past them and was standing at the curb, waiting to cross the street, when one of the women passing out cards comes up to me and with a big smile says 'Hi There!"

I say "Hi" back and she proceeds to tell me about a fashion show by a new designer of plus-size fashions which is being held Friday evening. She hands me a free pass and an advertisement card and continues to tell me how fabulous the pieces are and that if I have a chance, I should stop by. I told her that it sounds like fun and I'd try to make it. She told me to have a great day and went on to stop some other women.

I stood at the curb for another few minutes and while I did, I noticed that neither she or her associates stopped any other 'men'. For the time I was there, I seem to be the only 'male' they approached. Other than my somewhat girlie hair and a rather conservative flap style purse, there was nothing overly 'femme' about me today. And yet, this woman seemed to know that I might be interested in the show.

Overall, I was amused - and a bit flattered :o - by the whole thing.

So remember - people do notice us - whether we realize it or not.

Love & Stuff,
Donna

gennee
05-11-2006, 06:23 PM
You did pass,Donna. She thought that you was a lady. Congrats to you. It is a nice feeling to have someone think that you are female. I'm most impressed that you weren't overly dress as you mentioned in your post. There is hope for me.

Gennee

Christina Nicole
05-11-2006, 06:29 PM
That could be construed as flattering... except for the part about being an event for plus sized fashions. I'd be insulted.

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

maid phylis
05-11-2006, 06:38 PM
well you are right about people noticing us,i take the train every wed afternoon to new york city dresses as my femme self and i have to stand there and wait till the train comes and i always see when someone is watching me ,well i have been doing this for three years now and at this point i really dont care if someone is going to read me i am happy being dressed and they can wonder all they want,so let us come out and enjoy life for all its worth,love phylisanne:love: :doll:

Laurie Ann
05-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Donna what a great story. I hope you have the chance to go.

Ms. Donna
05-11-2006, 06:59 PM
You did pass,Donna. She thought that you was a lady. Congrats to you.

Maybe from behind, but after I turned around... No, it was quite clear that I wasn't 'a lady' - but still a potential 'customer'.

Also, the fact that I wasn't 'put off' by her approaching me and doing her pitch I'm sure helped to reinforce whatever 'vibe' she was getting.

That could be construed as flattering... except for the part about being an event for plus sized fashions. I'd be insulted.

At 5'8" and 250 lbs, I am 'plus sized' - no two ways about it. But then, so was she (more 'curvey' than big) so we had some 'common ground'.

There was nothing condescending or mean about the interaction, so what's there to be insulted about? I've been called far worse things in my life. :(

Love & Stuff,
Donna

ReginaK
05-11-2006, 07:51 PM
That would have made my day. I would have been smiling from ear to ear.

But I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon. The only walk-up offers I get are for construction and security work.