PDA

View Full Version : Today's Shoe Shopping Experience

Joanie
05-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Did some Mother's Day shopping for my wife, which sort of spilled over into the following shoe shopping experience for me...

Found a cute pair of Kim Rogers aqua colored low heel sandal type shoes at Belk. I mentioned to the saleswoman that I was out doing Mother's Day Shopping (true!) and asked for the shoe in a 9.5 M size. On the way to get them, she says, "Look around while you wait and if you see anything you like, I can measure you!" I took this be a rhetorical comment as I was dressed like any other guy. She didn't have the size I needed so, off to another Belk...

This was the one I called a few weeks back and discussed buying shoes over the phone with one of the girls, letting her know they were for me. Anyway, the nice assistant (not the one from a few weeks ago) asked on the way back to get them..."Now, are these for you or for someone else?' I would have said me but there were a bunch of women around, so I just muttered "Wife." Anyway, struck out again on the right size and I couldn't help myself and asked the woman "Just curious, why did you ask if the shoes were for me?" She started to profusely apologize and I told her not to worry, they WERE for me and I just didn't want to say so with a huge bunch of ladies around. Not sure if she heard me, because she kept on apologizing. Anyone else have this type of experience, where what are probably standard habitual customer service comments/questions make you feel like you have been read? I am afraid I gave the nice assistant the wrong impression that I was angry at her or something. Guess from now on, everything is for the wife.

Joanie
05-12-2006, 06:20 PM
No comments? I must have a had a unique experience.

Wenda
05-12-2006, 06:54 PM
When I was checking out of a Zeller's (like Target in US), with a treasure trove of lingerie, the cashier, an attractive 20 something asked, "Are these all for you?'
I pretended I had heard, "Is that all for you?" I said, "Yes, Thanks" and smiled and paid. She smiled. She knew.

Womanatheart1
05-12-2006, 07:14 PM
I really believe many clerks know. I'd love to be a fly in the break room as they talk other girls.
I remember a few purchase of fem items while in guy mode. One time when I felt comfortable shoping for Stephanie in guy mode in a Kohls - I brought these fem items to the young gg check out clerk. She quickly and nicely asked me - are these for you ? I said yes - I hope they fit. (I loved it). Another time I must have come off a purge and had an opportunity to freelance purchase in the perfect store (this one was JC Penny). The whole womens section was mine. I brought 3 or 4 bras and panties, heels, skirt, blouse and brought them to the not so busy older gg clerk. I said "can you check me out?" She said, "I will stand here all day long and scan anything you want to buy - it doesnt matter to me if you wear them or not". She knew. Many know. But does it matter? I am at the point now, it doesnt matter. Often, I will expand the converstation if the situation is right and ask the gg for advice because I am a cd. I get great advice and insight. For many - it is no problem.
Love, Stephanie:happy:

Jennaie
05-12-2006, 07:54 PM
If a clerk ask if they are for you or someone else, I take that to mean: I can help you better if you will tell me if they are for you and I don't have any problem with it at all.

I have been ask this question by several clerks and I am always relieved to hear it. I just smile and say, yes, they are for me. If the clerk is comfortable with me, I could care less about anyone else.

Adrienne Heels
05-12-2006, 08:24 PM
When I went into Nine West the first time and asked to see a pair of heels, the girl had to know they were for me....and there was no problem at all. If I am in drab, I have no problem telling the salesperson I am shopping for myself.

Joanie
05-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Thanks, ladies, for some lovely answers! This board is great, especially when the wife is away over night and I am here by my lonesome in a new outfit.

Certainly sounds like the saleswomen are used to a number of men out their buying for someone else other than the wife, sister, etc. All of your experiences sound great. I always worry about telling someone here in town that it is for me and then having them go home and describe me to someone I might know and them putting two and two together. As for men buying ladies things, I think most women expect men to take the more safe route and buy jewelry as gifts. I could never go wrong buying my wife tons of the stuff as she loves it all. Buying things that involve much more intuitive knowledge about what the gift recipient may find attractive (such as a particular dress where style and color both count) is much riskier and therefore they may not see many hubbies out there going that route. Plus, maybe we CDers have a gleam in our eyes they recognize from female customers enjoying shopping?

I remember one of the first makeovers I had (private session in the back of a Merle Norman studio that I scoped out over the phone before working up the nerve to come in), the woman said.."If you have been in cosmetics for just a little while, you get pretty used to guys wanting this for themselves!" She had been in it for probably twenty years, so she knew what she was talking about.

Theresa9
05-12-2006, 11:52 PM
I never get asked if shoes are for me or someone else. I just assume they know! I wear at least a size 11 womans shoe and size 18 dress. I can sometimes get into a smaller size skirt. If I buy a top or blouse it has to be 22-24.

Speaking of shoes check these out for only $8.95 that were clearance at Target, size 11.

Jodi
05-14-2006, 07:44 PM
As I have said on other threads, I worked for both New York and Co and the LImited as an SA. Do we know if a guy is buying for himself. The answer is absolutely yes. The only one you might fool is a new person the first couple of days on the job. You will never fool any experienced SA. To understand this, you have to see it from the perspective of an SA. Watch the body language, how does a person shop, are they nervous. Trust me, YOU ARE NOT FOOLING ANYBODY! Any cd who brouses carefully and closely, and then picks out 3 or more items is buying for himself. Men just don't shop that way when buying for an SO. I concur that the reason the SA asks if the items are for you is so she can assist you better. She might already know that the items you selected won't fit, are the wrong style for you, or the color hue is wrong for you. When working in the stores, I wanted to sell. I had several cd customers at NY & Co, and they were some of my best customers. Think about it girls. If you are treated with respect, given top grade assistance and made to feel comfortable, you will buy, and you will come back. When I would see my cd customers come into the store, I knew I would pad my sales total for that day. It was not uncommon for these guys to drop three or four hundred dollars at one visit to the store. Any fears you have in shopping are within. Shopping should be a fun experience with positive results.

Jodi