PDA

View Full Version : symbols?

StephanieCD
11-15-2004, 09:53 PM
Inspired by another thread...

is there some kind of crossdresser secret handshake or sign or something? I used to live with a gay man and he told me of all of these "signs" gay people in his community gave to each other. Different colored bracelets, earrings, rings, symbols, handkerchiefs, and so on... it's a bona fide system - around here, at least.

Do we have anything like that? A symbol or something? Nothing gawdy like the tri-ess logo or a pink triangle... but something we could recognize each other by? Just wondering...

Is there anything like that? And if not - I might have an idea or two. Or maybe someone else does?

No particular reason other than to find acceptance in a crowd, ya know?

JennyCD
11-15-2004, 09:56 PM
Yeah, plucked eyebrows and telltale mascara. :)

StephanieCD
11-15-2004, 09:57 PM
You sarcastic bitch, you're just my style ;)

So glad you're doing ok.

JennyCD
11-15-2004, 10:00 PM
Sarcastic? Bitch? Why that's the nicest thing anyone's said to me in a while. :)

StephanieCD
11-15-2004, 10:04 PM
I speak your language ;)

Bernadina
11-15-2004, 10:48 PM
Small butterfly pins have been suggested in other discussions.

http://www.qss.ca/entomology/thm_frbfly020.gif

StephanieCD
11-15-2004, 10:51 PM
Small butterfly pins have been suggested in other discussions.

http://www.qss.ca/entomology/thm_frbfly020.gif

Funny, I've owned one for years!

clarissa3d
11-15-2004, 10:51 PM
Such strong language... All this Plucking bitching going on..

Just a note the sign of Mercury is a good one..

Elinor
11-16-2004, 12:43 AM
You could try wearing a dress: Wig; High Heels & Make-up to work. I should think people would then pick up on it. That you are indeed a Janegirl. Don't know if you would care for the kick-back that would come from work mates. Lets all do this today and see what happens. Then again perhaps another day. Tomorrow is another day. GONE WITH THE WIND man they knew what a dress was in those days.

Julie
11-16-2004, 02:32 AM
There has been one sign muted which is a blend of the male & female symbols, I hope if someone else has seen it they could post a picture.

JJ

Wendy me
11-16-2004, 08:48 AM
hand shakes ,codes,passwords,pins ,buttons, decorder rings, computers,cellphones ,digital camars......i rember when all you needed to be a cder was a stolen pair of pantyhose,............in a few yers you probly nee to take a teast
things shure have changed

Danielle1960
11-16-2004, 09:14 AM
I like the plucked eyebrows. I keep mine fem.
Danielle :)

Chandra Marie
11-16-2004, 10:53 AM
Here is a link to a site I found with our symbol. I made this offer before but if you want to come in or send a self addressed stamped envelope I will cut it at no cost for fourm members. $2.25 if you want the magnetic backing (if you prefer a less permanent install). PM me for the store address, I don't want it floating freely here;) .

http://www.gendertalk.com/info/tgsymbol.shtml

KewTnCurvy GG
11-16-2004, 11:37 AM
Such strong language... All this Plucking bitching going on..

Just a note the sign of Mercury is a good one..

Mecury! Excellent! The shapeshifter, mecurial, ever changing. I like it:)

hugs
kew

StephanieCD
11-16-2004, 12:05 PM
Mecury! Excellent! The shapeshifter, mecurial, ever changing. I like it:)

Honestly, I like it tons better than a giant pink triangle with gender symbols in it! :) Discrete and classy over flamboyant flag flying any day, in my book.

StephanieCD
11-16-2004, 12:14 PM
The astrological sign of Mercury is traditionally the symbol of transgendered peoples. In Greek mythology, Hermes (the Greek version of the Roman god Mercury) and Aphrodite (the goddess of love) had a child named Hermaphroditus. That child possessed both male and female sexual organs, hence the term hermaphrodite. Also, rituals associated with the worship of Aphrodite are believed to have been highly sexual, involving castration, transvestism, and homosexual relations.

In the symbol itself, the crescent moon at the top is supposed to represent the masculine, and the cross at the bottom represents the feminine. The ring represents the individual, with the male and the female balanced at either side.

Here is a somewhat stylized version of it...

http://www.spookhouse.net/images/mercury.jpg

After digging around a bit it seems it's an accepted symbol for general transgender-hood.

babe4life
11-16-2004, 01:11 PM
hand shakes ,codes,passwords,pins ,buttons, decorder rings, computers,cellphones ,digital camars......i rember when all you needed to be a cder was a stolen pair of pantyhose,............in a few yers you probly nee to take a teast
things shure have changed
Wendy, good thing we got in on the ground floor ... Not sure that I am in the mood to write any more tests! :eek:

Love,
Vicky

Chandra Marie
11-16-2004, 01:29 PM
Honestly, I like it tons better than a giant pink triangle with gender symbols in it! :) Discrete and classy over flamboyant flag flying any day, in my book.
Mecury is to much like the Religious symbol below for me.

http://altreligion.about.com/library/graphics/symbols/sankh.jpg

The ankh is an ancient Egyptian symbol of life. Also known as an Ansata cross, it is a visual representation of a sandal strap.

The horizontal and vertical bars represent the feminine and masculine energy, respectively. This combination of male and female symbols (the cross and circle) in the ankh suggests fertility and creative power. The top loop symbolises the sun on the horizon, and suggests reincarnation and rebirth.

The ankh appears frequently in Egyptian writings about rebirth, and for a short time was adopted by Coptic Christians to symbolize the resurrection of Christ.

The Ankh is also considered to have meaning in Ritual magick and in Wiccan/Neopagan traditions, as a symbol of immortality and completion.

Wendy me
11-16-2004, 01:39 PM
Wendy, good thing we got in on the ground floor ... Not sure that I am in the mood to write any more tests! :eek:

Love,
Vicky

lol who has time for that????????if thay go by posts your in ;)

Wendy me
11-16-2004, 01:42 PM
how abought a sticker..............cd player.........????????

Nikki A.
11-18-2004, 12:11 AM
Slightly longer, reddish fingernails from using nailpolish that bleeds into the nails. And please no tests I have to take enough at work.

Wenda
11-18-2004, 10:36 PM
Here is a somewhat stylized version of it...

http://www.spookhouse.net/images/mercury.jpg

After digging around a bit it seems it's an accepted symbol for general transgender-hood.
WWHOOOAAAA!!! That sucker looks like it could beam me and my gf's into another galaxy!! I will stick with the plucked eyebrows, painted nails and nylons as reasonable indicators. wenda.

Vallari
11-18-2004, 10:41 PM
How about an Adams Apple? :p

JennyCD
11-18-2004, 10:49 PM
The problem with any outward symbol, as I see it, is that there are so many living in the closet. Any symbol, however discrete, will sooner or later become known to the mainstream folks the closet people (myself included) are trying to keep in the dark.

Krissi
11-24-2004, 02:49 PM
Here I always thought left over nail glue on the fingernails was the sign.

Krissi :)

Georgette
11-24-2004, 02:58 PM
How about the sign of Libra we are destined to be balanced between both genders.
Besides thats my sign.LOL

crispy
11-24-2004, 11:00 PM
How about the sign of Libra we are destined to be balanced between both genders.
Besides thats my sign.LOL
is it compulsory? to be CD if you're Libra? that would explain the irresistible compulsion, I guess.

Georgette, thanks for giving me an excuse that is completely outside my control. ;)

Georgette
11-25-2004, 09:51 AM
Gotcha Crispy. I hope I'm balanced enough, I tolerate all of you.

MiaPink
11-25-2004, 04:42 PM
Whenever you make a new acquaintance, just say: "Eric Stratton, Crossdressing Chairman, damn glad to meet ya." A little Animal House humor for you....

Sorry to be silly in this matter...but maybe it would work.....I've also seen T-Shirts that simply say "I Love Crossdressing." Assuming that your family, friends and co-workers don't know - they might think the shirt is so absurd that they probably wouldn't say a word. But we'd know! :p

Georgette, I'm a Libra too...hmm are we onto something here? lol

Julie
11-25-2004, 04:51 PM
You could be onto something, add another Libran to the list.

JJ

Georgette
11-25-2004, 09:47 PM
Then Libra it is, LIBRA, LIBRA, LIBRA, all in favor of Libra raise your hand.LOL :)
HUGS
Georgette

Marlene4a
11-25-2004, 11:38 PM
I like Rachel's response the best.
Everything else seems too "spooky" or dangerous to me.

Love

Sharon
11-26-2004, 12:11 AM
Then Libra it is, LIBRA, LIBRA, LIBRA, all in favor of Libra raise your hand.LOL :)
HUGS
Georgette
Proud to be a Libra, like Jenny, born on the cusp, but the other one: Libra/Virgo.

DonnaT
11-26-2004, 12:06 PM
I guess I'll cut that string of posts. Gemini here.

Sign of the twins (one boy and one girl). http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/583.gif

Wendy me
11-26-2004, 02:31 PM
I guess I'll cut that string of posts. Gemini here.

Sign of the twins (one boy and one girl). http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/583.gif

lol sorry still lol not to be mean or anything but with crossdressing when i think of the twins i well.................think of something elese .............mabey not a bad thing that could work we would all know what it ment........

and me i am a libra

Rachel Ann
11-30-2004, 07:03 PM
Here is a link to a site I found with our symbol. . . . I don't want it floating freely here
That's why I like the butterfly, it isn't so obvious!

Cate Lynch
12-11-2004, 12:24 PM
Hey girls,

I found a web site that has an interesting idea...

http://www.pinkypals.net/

It would appear there's a whole bunch of girls already onto something - wearing a ring on your left pinkie finger. Subtle but obvious to the initiated.

Cate

Sharon
12-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Wow -- I'm on the cutting edge and didn't even know it. I've been wearing a pinkie ring for ages!

Rachel Ann
12-11-2004, 02:44 PM
http://www.pinkypals.net/
I always wanted a diamond horseshoe pinky ring. Looks like it could be merged with that design.

I still like the butterfly best though - subtle enough for those who need to be subtle.

Rhonda Callahan
12-11-2004, 03:52 PM
Libra, that is. I want to be balanced, but, I'm too unbalanced. Now even steven, that's the way for me. But I don't know a Steven! I'll have to find a temp. tattoo with the Mercury symbol.

Celeste GG
12-12-2004, 06:54 AM
One Melbourne Crossdressers club has the seahorse as it's symbol as it is one of the few animals that seriously takes on the maternal role. The Seahorse club is very maternal at looking after it' girls.

Donna Louise
12-12-2004, 07:23 AM
Well, I guess that leaves me out. I'm a bull, I never could spell that d- word anyway.

A pin or symbol of some sort would be nice but as said earlier. Once it is known, like a rainbow, everyone would know or suspect who we are. Personally I would love to display a pin but then I hate questions.

I do keep my eyebrows plucked and trimed short. Only problem I can never get the darn things to match. :confused:

Hugs
Donna Louise

LaceyNicole
06-07-2005, 09:08 PM
another libra here. i like the idea of something that only "we" would be able to tell, but the pinky ring looks very notincable to me.

riema's here
07-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Bernadina,not for nothing sweety but I don't think a butterfly pin will go good next my union sticker or my crisscrossed hammers sticker on my hard hat.I don't have a better suggestion!and Im not trying to be a smart ass.Besides eventually it would be recognized world wide just like "rainbow" did for gays!I speak for my self,as good as I feel and look most of the time I'll never come out. :o

Sweet Jeanette
07-02-2005, 10:54 PM
I just found this thread. I read it!----Thank God, someone besides me is thinking about this!---I never knew that a symbol existed, much less, was avalible! :eek: ---But then, you have to take into account, that I live in a small town, of very biggoted people!---Word of new things do not get here fast.---Not here!---I have read your posts, and it seem to me, that a lot of you are worrying over the design of a symbol, or the color of it. ---Or which it should be!!!---Good Grief!!!-----I would just be happy to "Have A symbol"!---I would not care if it was triangular, or lavender, or ---whatever!!! :cry: ---I like the "butterfly" idea, but I like the triangle too. I like the symbol by Stephanie too. ---But, ---Whatever it comes out to, I want a symbol that is universally, ---AND internationally recognized!!!----It doesn't have to be BIG!---It can be small, and it can be "any of the above", or something else. It doesnt matter. ----I want ONE!!!!------And it can be a tatoo, (if you have the B-lls), or a pin.---And it doesnt have to be pasted to a "Hardhat" either!---I am glad that someone is thinking about this!

Rachel Ann
07-02-2005, 11:07 PM
It seems that cover is the biggest issue for most of us. Perhaps adopting a symbol that is already widely recognized and can be explained away as having a different meaning is the way to go.

Say, a rune, an astrological symbol (a planet, not a sign – many seem to favor Mercury), an animal (I like Celeste’s seahorse), something ancient like Chandra Marie’s ankh, a Chinese ideogram … I’m sure that you can all add to the list.

Something that is well known for its “other” meaning would be best.

Tristen Cox
07-02-2005, 11:10 PM
I like this works in any size, color etc...
BTW this thread is like 9 months old now.

Sweet Jeanette
07-02-2005, 11:23 PM
BTW this thread is like 9 months old now.

I like it too. ---And, is there a law about old threads?---This one seems to be a pressing issue, with many people.---We NEED to be recognized!-And not by going out in full dress, as some suggest.---I think the "symbol" thing is very important, to all of us.----Im not trying to be a smart a-s. ---I am just asking.

Rachel Ann
07-02-2005, 11:26 PM
Very obvious, though, Tristen.

Tristen Cox
07-02-2005, 11:30 PM
I like it too. ---And, is there a law about old threads?---This one seems to be a pressing issue, with many people.---We NEED to be recognized!-And not by going out in full dress, as some suggest.---I think the "symbol" thing is very important, to all of us.----Im not trying to be a smart a-s. ---I am just asking.
I was just mentioning it in case people have no clue who some of the first posting members are that are no longer here. And yes Rachel obvious, but if it's small enough say the size of a cufflink it might not catch any attention. But then again it could become a converstion piece if people see it and start asking what it means. Maybe have it blend into your outfit so as not to be noticed. Just a thought.

Sweet Jeanette
07-03-2005, 12:03 AM
I was just mentioning it in case people have no clue who some of the first posting members are that are no longer here. And yes Rachel obvious, but if it's small enough say the size of a cufflink it might not catch any attention. But then again it could become a converstion piece if people see it and start asking what it means. Maybe have it blend into your outfit so as not to be noticed. Just a thought.

A small item, would mostly go unoticed by the general people, but CDs are alert, and watch and see everything. ---And, if someone did ask what it ment, (well, if you did not think they were with us), a person could Lie !---I have no problem with doing that, if it will protect me from someone being "nosey"!---I might tell them that I am a Star Trek fan, and its just a button, ---(Which I am).------We NEED some kind of identifier!

Paula Rae
07-03-2005, 12:51 AM
Hey Ladies,

The Butterfly is taken, how about a Lady Bug

Ricki B

Marcyme
07-03-2005, 01:13 AM
This is a great idea, we need something.
I like the ring idea. It is simple and subtle....even just a small silver band.
Some sort of symbol would be cool too. I would love something I could have as a lower back tatoo.

Clare
07-03-2005, 01:22 AM
Well, i like the idea of a pinky ring, and being an aussie, the seahorse design sounds good to me!

yes, i think as a significant part of the community, we need some form of identification within our own énvironment'.

Lets do something constructive!!!!

Christine

Sweet Jeanette
07-03-2005, 02:57 AM
Well, i like the idea of a pinky ring, and being an aussie, the seahorse design sounds good to me!

yes, i think as a significant part of the community, we need some form of identification within our own énvironment'.

Lets do something constructive!!!!

Christine

I think we have something going here! :) ---People are starting to think! :eek: ----(About time)!---The Lady bug is a harmless little "innocent" that hurts nothing, and is very pretty. ---I have never seen a Seahorse, except in pictures, but I think that ---also, it would make a good "identifier". ------The ring thing appeals to me! How about you?---Lets hear some more input from all of you,---out there!!!!
We ARE a Sizeable part of the Human community!----All of YOU, and I, are part of this! Should WE let ourselves be BEATEN down, by the "others"?---HELL NO!----I think WE, should Stand Up, for what we are, and Voice our opinions!---Let us adopt a universal sign, that shows WHAT, and WHO, we are! :)

jo_ann
07-03-2005, 09:25 AM
I came up with this like 8 years ago.. basically picture a female symbol with some square blocks on the side, so as you spin it, it changes from a female symbol to male:
http://www.joecomputers.com/tg.gif

Paula Rae
07-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Hey Ladies
How about these? Found on "Google Image Search"
Ricki B

Rachel Ann
07-03-2005, 01:34 PM
Hey Ladies
Ricki B
I like the first two. The first one could only be worn en femme. A pin might work better than a ring when in boy mode. Now we just need an alternative explanation for what the ladybug (or seahorse, or whatever) means.

Sweet Jeanette
07-03-2005, 10:53 PM
Hey Ladies
Ricki B

I like the 2nd one, the larger ring with the full band and the ladybug. ---If you find, all of a sudden that you are in "questionable" company, (meaning- "the others", or the nosey ones), -You could roll the ladybug to the underside of your finger and conceal it, and to them, it would be just a gold band. ---If you forget to, and someone asks about it,--you could tell them that you were a "nature lover", which wouldn't be far from wrong!!! ;) ----I guess that the same thing could be done with a button, but I just happen to like rings, and gentle creatures, like ladybugs. ---But, that is "just me".---To me, a ring is more personal, always there, always reminding you. ----Just like my wedding ring is always there, ---reminding me,---every time I see it, or when I flex my fingers.-------Very Personal. :)

Rachel Ann
07-03-2005, 11:42 PM
... If you find, all of a sudden that you are in "questionable" company, (meaning- "the others", or the nosey ones) ...
That's not always easy to know or recognize quickly enough to react.

Ricki, is there any special significance to the ladybug other than the “lady” part? I like it, I just wonder why you chose it.

Might we just agree on the ladybug (or the seahorse, or whatever) and leave it to each of us to display in her own way? I would find it almost impossible to explain wearing a ring like that in boy mode, but as a tie tack, lapel pin, or something attached to my suspender, I could just say it was a goof or a souvenir or memento.

Most nursery rhymes began as subversive political commentary. Here are a few of many many links to "ladybug, ladybug ..." with various theories:

http://www.connectexpress.com/~ips/lady/rhyme.html
http://www.rhymes.org.uk/ladybug_ladybug.htm
http://www.fright.com/edge/ladybug.html
http://www.corsinet.com/trivia/scary.html

I'm sure that with a little imagination we can each come up with a reason for wearing the symbol that is plausible to non-TGs. Of course, it will take a lot more people than the membership of this forum to get it off the ground.

Agreements? Disagreements? Anybody? Maybe we need a poll or something. Then again, we could just pursue it as individuals and see where it goes.

Sweet Jeanette
07-04-2005, 12:27 AM
That's not always easy to know or recognize quickly enough to react.

Ricky, is there any special significance to the ladybug other than the “lady” part? I like it, I just wonder why you chose it.

Might we just agree on the ladybug (or the seahorse, or whatever) and leave it to each of us to display in her own way? I would find it almost impossible to explain wearing a ring like that in boy mode, but as a tie tack, lapel pin, or something attached to my suspender, I could just say it was a goof or a souvenir or memento.

Most nursery rhymes began as subversive political commentary. Here are a few of many many links to "ladybug, ladybug ..." with various theories:

http://www.connectexpress.com/~ips/lady/rhyme.html
http://www.rhymes.org.uk/ladybug_ladybug.htm
http://www.fright.com/edge/ladybug.html
http://www.corsinet.com/trivia/scary.html

I'm sure that with a little imagination we can each come up with a reason for wearing the symbol that is plausible to non-TGs. Of course, it will take a lot more people than the membership of this forum to get it off the ground.

Agreements? Disagreements? Anybody? Maybe we need a poll or something. Then again, we could just pursue it as individuals and see where it goes.

I think your right!---We need a poll.----How do we start one?

Paula Rae
07-04-2005, 02:34 AM
Hey Rachel Ann,

There is no special significance to the ladybug. Except that we are all Ladies and like you, most are as cute as a bug in a rug, therefore "LadyBug" seems to me like an appropriate symbol.

I agree with "Hot Lust walking" we need a poll.

Ricki B

Tristen Cox
07-04-2005, 02:44 AM
I agree with "Hot Lust walking" we need a poll.

Ricki B
I'm sure one of you intelligent ladies can figure out how to make a poll :)

Rachel Ann
07-04-2005, 03:00 AM
Thank you, Ricki *blushes* *curtsies*

OK, we need to back up and figure out what the poll would be about.

Have we settled on the ladybug or does that still need to be sorted out? Is there a nursery rhyme about seahorses?

Are we going to try to insist on one way of wearing it (such as a ring) or allow some latitude?

Are we going to do this in a unified way, or everyone for herself and see what happens?

Are we going to try to make some sort of moral from the nursery rhyme? For ourselves? For the "others"? Or is it again everyone for herself?

So let's have some consensus about what we need a poll about. :p

This is fun. :D

(Violating Karen's patent :o ) here are lipstick kisses to all <3

Rachel xx

Tristen Cox
07-04-2005, 02:10 PM
Yeah just make sure you lot figure it out before you post it, because once it's up you cannot change the options FYI. :)

Natalie x
07-04-2005, 06:33 PM
I support the poll idea

There only seem to be about four or five contenders for which symbol to use. Do we need an option as to whether or not the way we wear it can be a free choice? I wouldn't have thought so, as I don't think it could or should be compulsory in any way.

Rachel Ann
07-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Nothing can be compulsory, this isn't the government. :p Unless they make us start wearing pink and blue triangles or something. :eek:

Of course there will always be an "other" category. I am a good enough logician not to leave anybody unable to vote.

I'm willing to set this up but I'm going to wait a few days for everybody to get a chance to say what they think the choices should be. There might be 2 or 3 polls, depending on the number of selections for symbol, how to wear it, etc., but I hope not. This ought not to get too complicated. Besides, we want it to catch on and spread beyond this forum! :)

So, ladies, please try to post your wishes before Friday 7/8, ok?

*hug* *pout*
Rachel the silly girl who set herself up for this. :bonk:

Tristen Cox
07-04-2005, 07:20 PM
You should be able to have ten options, however I can add more to that as to minimize the amount of separate polls if you like:) It always adds two more options no matter how many options are already up so I suppose I could just keep adding infinitly ;)

mariej
07-04-2005, 07:38 PM
How about we all carry a 20 foot by 10 foot neon sign powered by a tow along portable generator which says (in a very understated an inoffensive way) "I'm a crossdresser and what the f*** you gonna do about it?"
Just a thought.
L&P
Mariej
xx

PS What does subtle mean??

Paula Rae
07-04-2005, 08:07 PM
Hey Rachel,

Thank you for jumping in there, with 1,325 posts under your belt, you have the experience and from what I've seen, the talent too.

I vote for the Ladybug, but please leave out Marie's 20 foot neon sign, as I can't afford the gas to run the generator.

Ricki B

Sweet Jeanette
07-04-2005, 08:15 PM
How about we all carry a 20 foot by 10 foot neon sign powered by a tow along portable generator which says (in a very understated an inoffensive way) "I'm a crossdresser and what the f*** you gonna do about it?"
Just a thought.
L&P
Mariej
xx

PS What does subtle mean??

I think we are starting to get "out of Hand" here!---This is NOT something to be taken lightly, or to make fun of! :mad: ------We are seriously trying to figure out a "Universal sign".---How about, Marie, you give us some input on how to make our poll?------When you get off your "Funny Kick"!----This is Serious s-it!-------

JoannaDees
07-04-2005, 08:25 PM
It's been said before, but ANY sign you decide on will become public knowledge just like the rainbow. So what's the point? I think the idea behind the sign is some secret signal, but it will not be secret, so again it fails the acid test.

Joanna

Rachel Ann
07-04-2005, 08:35 PM
You should be able to have ten options, however I can add more to that as to minimize the amount of separate polls if you like:) It always adds two more options no matter how many options are already up so I suppose I could just keep adding infinitly ;)
Yes, but it depends on how many things people want to vote on. It can get out of control quickly. If you have 5 choices for symbol and 5 choices for how to wear it, that's 36 options when you count "none of the above".

The less complicated and rigid this is, the better the chance that it will catch on. I personally think that we should just settle on a symbol and leave the rest up to the individual, but I'm waiting to hear from the other girls.

It's been said before, but ANY sign you decide on will become public knowledge just like the rainbow. So what's the point? I think the idea behind the sign is some secret signal, but it will not be secret, so again it fails the acid test.
You're probably right - but if it doesn't catch on *too* quickly, it will remain something arcane and usable - for a while.

The Masons managed to keep their symbol and code phrases secret for a few hundred years. Back when the Romans were throwing Christians to the lions, the "fish" symbol (an acronym of a Greek phrase) worked for a long time. (This is why superimposing the word "Jesus" defeats the point of the symbol.) Of course, the Internet changes everything.

In principle, just going out dressed if you aren't passable could also be a symbol, but who is going to want to do that?

Anyway, I'm willing to go along with the gag and see where it goes.

mariej
07-04-2005, 08:43 PM
Lighten up
If u don't like it ignore it!!

Sweet Jeanette
07-04-2005, 08:46 PM
Nothing can be compulsory, this isn't the government. :p Unless they make us start wearing pink and blue triangles or something. :eek:

Of course there will always be an "other" category. I am a good enough logician not to leave anybody unable to vote.

I'm willing to set this up but I'm going to wait a few days for everybody to get a chance to say what they think the choices should be. There might be 2 or 3 polls, depending on the number of selections for symbol, how to wear it, etc., but I hope not. This ought not to get too complicated. Besides, we want it to catch on and spread beyond this forum! :)

So, ladies, please try to post your wishes before Friday 7/8, ok?

*hug* *pout*
Rachel the silly girl who set herself up for this. :bonk:

Rachel Anne, Thank you for taking the reins!------If you are up to the task, please lead us!----I do not think it should be compulsary. ---It should be voulentary. ---And as for what kind of symbol, -------Well---anything that is gentle, and hurts nothing.---I like the ladybug, but that is "just me".---A poll will "maybe", decide the first part of it.---And, it may take years to figure out a "Universal symbol". ----------But WE NEED ONE!

mariej
07-04-2005, 08:50 PM
I posted this a while ago

I was out with my lady one day and made another CD. She looked pretty good but to a trained eye she was obviously a guy.I pointed her out to my lady and she said you've probably just done to her exactly what you hate happening to yourself !! Wow! I realised my mistake and felt really bad about it.
Maybe we girls should have our own secret sign so that if we do make someone we can show them we're a friend.
I suggest a discreet wave of the little finger !
If we made them right then cool. If we got it wrong then no one's the wiser.

Thoughts anyone.

L&P
Mariej
xx

No offense intended or taken!!
L&P
Mariej
xxxxxxx

Rachel Ann
07-04-2005, 08:50 PM
Thanks for your support.

I'm just going to wait until Friday to see how many want a poll, and what it should include.

I think we are starting to get "out of Hand" here!---This is NOT something to be taken lightly, or to make fun of! :mad: ------We are seriously trying to figure out a "Universal sign".---How about, Marie, you give us some input on how to make our poll?------When you get off your "Funny Kick"!----This is Serious s-it!-------
Up to a point, honey. If we can't have a sense of humor about ourselves, we are all doomed. Anyway the odds of anything started by a group as small as this becoming "universal" are vanishingly small - which is a good thing. The fewer people who know about something, the better it works.

Lighten up
Thank you, Marie. And the sign is an interesting idea, too! As long as it isn't too weird or complicated.

Rachel

Sweet Jeanette
07-04-2005, 08:52 PM
Lighten up

You have you opinions. I have mine.

Tristen Cox
07-04-2005, 08:58 PM
If u don't like it ignore it!! There's one poll option isn't it :whistle:

Rachel Ann
07-04-2005, 08:59 PM
If this gets contentious, I'm not going to do it. There are so many more important things to fight over. It's not as though anybody here has the power to make anybody do (or not do) anything.

Sweet Jeanette
07-04-2005, 09:03 PM
If this gets contentious, I'm not going to do it. There are so many more important things to fight over.

I know there is many more important things. :(

Sweet Jeanette
07-04-2005, 09:10 PM
I dont know what the word "contensious" means. I never said I was Highly Educated"!---Just a GED and some college. ---Marie, I am sorry. I did not mean to make you mad! :(

azure
07-04-2005, 10:04 PM
ah we need to have the soviet flag for our militant front sisters!! they're the ones that can be found defiantly crossdressing in front of cctv cameras, and gatecrashing celebrity dinner parties leaving a trail of lurid polaroids and utter carnage in their wake! The very same sisters who could be witnessed bringing their own brand of crossdressing mayhem to Miss World, and not to miss out on the coup de gras, a lap of the super bowl stadium wearing nothing but full make up high heels and a smile, wow they sure do have stamina!
they also have a bumper sticker to go with the hammer n syckle flag pin badge, it reads "your next!"
though it is important to note that the militant front sisters cannot be killed by conventional weapons hmmmm?

azure
07-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Azure the incredible thread killer has struck again, its a knack you see, please excuse me, my serotonin levels are a little low today.
hmmm maybe I could start a business

Do you have a troublesome thread
Got a thread that just goes on and on
tired of inane chatter
craving more culture but caught up in a thread that saps your will to live
dont want to be the one to leave the thread incase you get talked about
call 0800 AZURE
her speed original and friendly comments are guaranteed to end even the most tenacious of threads
on a no end no fee basis
so who ya gona call .....Threadbusters!!!!!

Rachel Ann
07-05-2005, 05:06 PM
In some species of fighting fish, the male changes its coloration to that of a female so that they can mate without killing each other. So how about one of those?

Azure the incredible thread killer has struck again
Nah, it's only been one day. And a holiday at that. I'm just waiting to see what anybody has to offer between now and Friday.

we need to have the soviet flag for our militant front sisters!!
works for me *giggles*

Sweet Jeanette
07-05-2005, 07:06 PM
Thanks for your support.

I'm just going to wait until Friday to see how many want a poll, and what it should include.

Up to a point, honey. If we can't have a sense of humor about ourselves, we are all doomed. Anyway the odds of anything started by a group as small as this becoming "universal" are vanishingly small - which is a good thing. The fewer people who know about something, the better it works.

Thank you, Marie. And the sign is an interesting idea, too! As long as it isn't too weird or complicated.

Rachel

Your right. I think everybody here has a sense of humor, to some extent. I guess at times I get too hyper about things. I tend to do that at times. Just smack me, if I do. ---Also, ---I would not call a group such as ours, "small"!!!---There are Millions of us around the world, in all countries. They may not belong to this board, but word gets around! :smug: ---And We All, share at least one thing in common;---(Who and what we are!).---This is our common bond!----The "Universal thing" may indeed, start HERE, if it hasn't started somewhere else, on some other board!---I believe it may have; ---we may just not know about it.---I also believe that,---"Something that stays hidden, will NEVER have a chance to grow".-------Sorry, I rambled. ---Just my thoughts :o

Clare
07-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Hey, its been a while since i saw/added to this thread, but here's my idea again.

I'd like us to have a pinky ring with the seahorse design.

Did you know the male seahorse actually carries the unborn babies after fertislation with a female? He is the mum and dad of the relationship until the little ones 'leave home'!

So since we are girls and help rear our own children, i think the seahorse reflects our real lives somewhat.

I'm not much of a designer or graphics artist, so don't ask me to draw up a design! Where would we get the seahorse rings made? No idea!

Just my final thoughts on this plan.

Christine

Rachel Ann
07-08-2005, 12:54 AM
OK, I'm going to extend this by a day, since not much has been coming in for additional suggestions. So far, I've heard

1) butterfly (Bernadina),

2) seahorse (Celeste),

3) rainbow (Donna Louise),

4) ladybug (Ricki)

5) little finger wave (Mariej),

6) rotating 3D m/f symbol (Jo Ann), and

7) triangle with modified m/f symbols (Tristen).

I think that we can safely omit the Soviet Union flag and the neon sign. (Sorry, Azure and MarieJ)

Once we have a consensus on a symbol, we’ll have a separate poll about a preferred way of wearing it.

Keep watching this space …

Love

Rachel

Ibuki_Warpetal
07-08-2005, 01:10 AM
I'm going to continue what I'm doing and just keep growing my hair and nails.

Au natural.

Rachel Ann
07-08-2005, 02:23 AM
I'm going to continue what I'm doing and just keep growing my hair and nails. Au natural.
That's cool, this is just for the benefit of those who wanted a poll.

Ibuki_Warpetal
07-09-2005, 01:40 AM
That's cool, this is just for the benefit of those who wanted a poll.
If I had to choose I would choose Mercury.

RainyHaze GG
07-09-2005, 02:27 AM
I read the entire thread I think, and if I missed it I am sorry.....But have you thought of the YIN & YANG symbol? It could be worn and go almost unnoticed. Also could be explained to friends, family co-workers any number of ways.

Just a thought.

Hugs,
Rainy

Rachel Ann
07-09-2005, 04:30 AM
Rainy - Yin / Yang is a good one, I'll put it on the list. (Although you might have to explain to some that you're not a Buddhist ;) ).

Ibuki - sorry, but I'm not including any astrological symbols because they put some members in a special place at the expense of others.

Rachel xx

Ibuki_Warpetal
07-09-2005, 04:36 AM
Rainy - Yin / Yang is a good one, I'll put it on the list. (Although you might have to explain to some that you're not a Buddhist ;) ).
Ibuki - sorry, but I'm not including any astrological symbols because they put some members in a special place at the expense of others.
Rachel xx
Hows that? It's just a symbol for planet.

Rachel Ann
07-09-2005, 12:46 PM
Hows that? It's just a symbol for planet.
Yes, but whether it was in one sign or another at birth means different things, some good, some bad. I don't take astrology seriously, but many do. So I'm avoiding it in the interest of not rubbing anybody the wrong way.

There will be an "other (specify)" category anyway.

Lady Jayne
07-09-2005, 03:00 PM
Ok I've been thinking about a symbol that would'nt be too obviouse but still makes a statment......how about a silver/gold pendant or pin I came up with a couple of designes using the XY cromosone as a base.
What do you girls think?

RainyHaze GG
07-09-2005, 09:59 PM
Jayne,

Very good designs. Reminds me of something similar to frat pins. People would assume they are Greek letters.

Rainy

ashleybear1032
07-09-2005, 10:26 PM
I'm a big guy and love to CD. I have been readin gthe posts for a while. I just recieved a VS Gold Card in the mail. Any I have a Girlfriend who is awesome and we totally share the gender roles, and the VS account is attached to her card. But as a big guy who plays Lacrosse and Rugby I'd like to see Something thats very conspicuous. But I would like to see a something to show we are the up and comers. I also live in West Palm Beach so let me know if anyone else is around my area. Peace....Ashley <my girlfriend gave me that name!

Rachel Ann
07-09-2005, 11:09 PM
[QUOTE=ashleybear1032]How about the greek letters for TV or CD TS?/QUOTE]
There's no "V" in Greek, and not all of us are TS. I suppose that CD could be represented as Kappa Delta or Xi Delta. TG could be rendered as Tau Gamma or Xi Gamma.

In any case, we now have more choices than the poll will take, so please go to the "Symbol Poll" thread, check "something else", and post one of these.

Rachel

Rachel Ann
07-09-2005, 11:13 PM
See "Symbol Poll" at http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=162302#post162302. If you have a new idea, choose "something else" and post it there, please.

Rachel xx

Vivian Best
07-10-2005, 04:04 PM
Lady Jane,

Personally I like all three designs! I wouldn't hesitate to wear any of the three. Unknowing people could make any number of things out of them and if is necessary as a defense you could say it was any number of things.

Vivian

Rachel Ann
07-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Lady Jane,
Personally I like all three designs! I wouldn't hesitate to wear any of the three. Unknowing people could make any number of things out of them and if is necessary as a defense you could say it was any number of things.
Vivian
Vivian

Do go vote, then! http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=162302#post162302

I ran out of room on the list, so you will have to post it as a "something else". Be sure to include enough information that we know what you're referring to.

Rachel

Khriss
07-21-2005, 01:56 AM
there are certain flowering plants that are trans-gender capable,
- frog species that will change gender -mid developement from male to female, in order to better insure survival (propegation of decedants)-
just a thought for possible "organic" sybolism "K"

Rachel Ann
07-21-2005, 03:41 AM
there are certain flowering plants that are trans-gender capable,
- frog species that will change gender -mid developement from male to female, in order to better insure survival (propegation of decedants)-
just a thought for possible "organic" sybolism "K"
That's cool and thanks for the idea. But, we're way past that. Please see "Symbol Poll" and "Symbol Poll: Sudden Death".

Rachel

crispy
07-21-2005, 04:31 AM
- frog species that will change gender -mid developement from male to female, in order to better insure survival
there are certain fishes that do that as well.

....................... gets a shark well confused. :( :rolleyes: