PDA

View Full Version : Are we biased?

btmgrl6
05-19-2006, 05:00 PM
Since this is a cd' forum.....as was intended, are our opinions biased towards our female side. If so , how much credence can we attach to answers given to those with serious issues who come here for help with a problem that could have
could have serious consequences? maybe a problem that needs to have both sides expressed.
I've posted a couple of threads and some of the replys were what basically the reason that I have posted this one.
i can't put myself in my SO's shoes,I can't think like a male any longer, I think like a girl, so I can't answer that....
So... your opinions? Are we able to give an unbiased answer.. while if fem mode?

steph

Ms. Donna
05-19-2006, 05:18 PM
i can't put myself in my SO's shoes, I can't think like a male any longer, I think like a girl, so I can't answer that....

You absolutely can put yourself in your SO's shoes.

Most of the relationship issues are not so much about the CDing as they are about trust, honesty, compassion, caring, etc:
We violate their trust by hiding this and by not having been upfront about it.
We are dishonest when we promise to stop - knowing full well that if we could, we would have already.
We become self-absorbed and consumed by our 'need' to dress up - forgetting that there is another person in the relationship - our wives / GF/ SOs...
We want them to accept this outright while not considering the mindf**k we've just given them.
We care more about our needs than theirs.
You get the idea.

It is not difficulty to imagine having someone close in our lives who has an addiction, a 'sordid' past - something that they have felt the need to keep hidden. Now you find out... Perhaps your SO used to be a prostitute? How would you feel? How would you react? What if she was hiding an addiction? What would you do? Would you feel betrayed? Lied to? As if maybe you don't really know this person?

It's not about thinking like a man or women - it's about thinking like a person.

And that's something we all have the capacity to do.

Love & Stuff,
Donna

Karren H
05-19-2006, 05:18 PM
I guess like anything else in the world.....Peoples opinions on a problem are going to biased one way or the other (pro or con) and its up to the reader to take all the opinions in and sort out what makes sence and what doesn't. From what I've seen there are no clearcut answers to many of the problems posted here. Ohhhhh and I don't consider that I have any serious problems so you can give credence to everything I say (grin). LOL. And don't think I am biased towards my female side over my male side unless your talking about shopping!!!

Love Karren

Julie York
05-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Crossdressers wear clothing that society classes as female. They don't have a lobotomy when they dress up.

It's the internet. If someone says "Shall I jump over a cliff?" then what is the consequences I would suffer if I say, "Hell yeah why not."

(I wouldn't say that anyway......or would I?)

But then you would also have to be pretty stupid to take the advice against all your instincts. Advice is not an absolute. It's a shading of what you already suspect.

btmgrl6
05-19-2006, 05:31 PM
When you have the time please look at my "what if" thread. you'll find some interesting answers.

steph.

btmgrl6
05-19-2006, 05:35 PM
Well when you are hurting and unsure you might just grasp at anything in an attempt to find help. In a state of confusion, a person might not be thinking all that clearly. .....Basically you are saying, if you don't know any better and you listen to me.... what ever happens .it's your own fault?

Stepf.

Faye Emmette
05-19-2006, 05:52 PM
I try and be fair in all my scriblings and perhaps being a crossdresser can help me be moreso.
If one can have a circumspect view of a situation and use one's own thought processes to analyse the situation, then it will be unbiased.
The product of this will then depend on things like my experience, knowledge and/or wisdom.
And this could be either right or wrong.

carol ann
05-19-2006, 06:10 PM
My problem is that when I try to put myself in my wifes's shoes - i cannot think of my enfemme self as anything but weird and not something any normal girl would want anything to do with.

I have to say that most of the gg's who post on this forum must have wonderful levels of understanding and tolerance. it must be terribly difficult being partnered by someone they think of as male who only wnats to show off as a female.

kwebb
05-19-2006, 06:54 PM
Lots of time with me, powers of suggestion can be alot stronger than I give them credit.
Sometimes I'll struggle with issues associated with CDing the most when I am the most active on the boards. Once I back away a bit, I seem to do better . Weird.

Sometimes I even wish I was still under the impression that it was only me that did it. The fact that soooo many others cd somehow at times makes it less special to me or somn.
It makes me more apt to look at it as something wrong or sinful, and not an exclusive design God had in mind for me only.

Then at other times, I say wow, this is soooo common, it must be normal. Just a normal part of the spectra of human behavior. I vacilate betwixt those 2 mind-sets.

suzanne claire
05-19-2006, 06:54 PM
We would as a group be biased since we represent our female self in this form.Perhaps biased is not the correct word but maybe opinionated would be more appropriate in the context of this thread.It is difficult to be as open minded about crossdressing as it is about certain other aspects of life.:love:

btmgrl6
05-20-2006, 12:11 AM
Yes. i did say that this forum caters to our female side, as was intended. I think that it would follow that our opinions would be that of our female self. Anyone can have an opinion, but if the majority of those opinions lean towards the female point of view......we have a bias.
As far as open mindedness in regards to crossdressing.... I haven't a clue as to what that has to do with the thread.
Unless you mean that, being in fem mode, in the fem forum doesn't lend itself to being open minded as to other opinions that might not have the inability to see both sides of the issue. The reason being......we are biased towards our own (fem) opinions on crossdressing....?

I think biased was the correct word .

Steph

Dana
05-20-2006, 12:20 AM
I try and be fair in all my scriblings and perhaps being a crossdresser can help me be moreso.
If one can have a circumspect view of a situation and use one's own thought processes to analyse the situation, then it will be unbiased.
The product of this will then depend on things like my experience, knowledge and/or wisdom.
And this could be either right or wrong.

Well said!

Dana
05-20-2006, 12:24 AM
Since this is a cd' forum.....as was intended, are our opinions biased towards our female side. If so , how much credence can we attach to answers given to those with serious issues who come here for help with a problem that could have
could have serious consequences? maybe a problem that needs to have both sides expressed.
I've posted a couple of threads and some of the replys were what basically the reason that I have posted this one.
i can't put myself in my SO's shoes,I can't think like a male any longer, I think like a girl, so I can't answer that....
So... your opinions? Are we able to give an unbiased answer.. while if fem mode?steph

Bias? Statistical word. ~ Mathematics ~ "The Absolute Language"

Well, since we as CD's fall on the left hand side of the proverbial bell curve, our perspectives, attitudes, life experinces, etc fall outside of the norm ~ so of course our answers fall outside the noraml "bell curve" which doesn't mean they're not valid!

btmgrl6
05-20-2006, 12:49 AM
Nobody said that they are not valid.....IF in a fem forum,where fems are giving opinions that tend to lean toward their feminine point of view (and may I say again ,which is the the whole point of this web site ) would it be safe to say that there is a bias. pretty simple, no magic, no mystry, no hidden meanings. Nobody is being attacked.

Stepf

Dana
05-20-2006, 01:01 AM
Nobody said that they are not valid.....IF in a fem forum,where fems are giving opinions that tend to lean toward their feminine point of view (and may I say again ,which is the the whole point of this web site ) would it be safe to say that there is a bias. pretty simple, no magic, no mystry, no hidden meanings. Nobody is being attacked.

Stepf

Not going to get into a "Firefight" with you, but yes we are!

FionaAlexis
05-20-2006, 01:18 AM
Yes, we are biased - but I think all human beings have a bias. I think we have group bias towards saying what we think is the 'feminine' thing to say.

I once have joked that if I posted that a university study found that females farted between 5 and 10 times every day - I get 50 responses putting themselves in that range.

I think we are very much about creating this image on forums that we have a feminine personality and feminine reactions. However on TG issues there always seem to be a range of opinions on most subjects - and then often the guard drops.

If you are referring to your 'What if...' hypothetical - I think it is quite difficult for others to get their head around. And CDs/TGs in situations like this Forum and on gender related threads don't think too much beyond their own situation.

Fiona xx

btmgrl6
05-20-2006, 01:19 AM
No firefight intended. .....It was just a simple and straight forward question.
And as for how it related to the post. ...

If we have issues with others in our lives and because of our bias, we cannot or will not see the other side of the issue,how in the world can we expect to solve the problem.

Let me ask you this. Do you as a cd have the ability to stop for one second and look at something from another's point of view?

Steph

btmgrl6
05-20-2006, 01:31 AM
I am a 24/7 female.I feel that I have successfully exorcised my male brain to the point of near non-existance I have my feminine point of veiw, just like everyone else.I also have my bias's. even so..... i still believe that I can look at an issue from both sides. Are you able to do this?

or......
since I cannot put the shoe on the other foot. I do not have to admit that you have a valid point,and therefore I don't have to answer to it. .......

FionaAlexis
05-20-2006, 01:42 AM
...........i still believe that I can look at an issue from both sides. Are you able to do this?
Steph

Yes I believe so, Steph. If you are talking about issues of general interest - then yes I think so. On TG issues - I'm always changing my views because I'm always learning from others experiences.

But I have to say that I can be pretty pig headed on some things too.

Fiona xx

btmgrl6
05-20-2006, 01:58 AM
being pig headed is one thing, but being honest with yourself and your So is very different (you in general not personally)

Steph

Does changing your views on tg issues cancel your ability to see ( not saying you have to agree with them) from another standpoint?

If I say that I can see your point ,am I not in essence admitting that this is not just about me? I have some culpability too.

Kierci
05-20-2006, 02:06 AM
I dont think the answers are bias, from what I have seen since I have been here the questions have been answered honestly and as truthfully as possible. If the answers have been bias or even resemble bias it would have been a sheer mistake or the question was looking for a bias opinion. So I would have to answer your question non biasly with a No. Thats my 0.02 Probably only worth 1/2 cent. :tongueout

btmgrl6
05-20-2006, 02:18 AM
No one said that the answers were not honest or truthful. those things have nothing to do with being biased. In this case the bias means leaning towards the female point of view. there is nothing wrong with that.....no one is attacking anyone ,no one is saying that someone is right or someone is wrong

Bias....inclination of prejudice in favor of a particular person,thing,or viewpoint

dancinginthedark
05-20-2006, 02:29 AM
So... your opinions? Are we able to give an unbiased answer.. while if fem mode?

steph

Steph~
Sorry for intruding but if I may add my POV? I have posted here when I was just that upset and freaked out by something CD related. My first post here comes to mind. You are correct that a person in that state of mind looking for answers and insight will take whatever answers and insight they can find. I do not in anyway want to imply that GG’s are just foolish enough to take everything said as gospel but a frightened person is vulnerable. And Julie is right I am not likely buy just anything tossed my direction—my instincts are fairly good. I can say that the ladies who have responded to my posts have for the most part been kind, thoughtful and open. You don’t tell someone having a personal crisis all there is to know, there is simply too much to learn and too many variables to cover. So are the ladies bias? No more than anyone else. And it’s fine. If I am posting here it is because I want your opinions and I say up front I want a CD POV. If I am posting at a CD site I am fairly certain you are in a femme state of mind, so to speak. But more important to me is they, the ladies here, are good people and don’t make light of a person’s distress. One last point, I just wondered. You all refer to one another as sisters; did you know I consider you mine too? Do you think I would if I thought you were all totally self-centered or completely biased? Nope. I see plenty of open minds and compassion here, more than enough to make up for the occassional less than stellar answer. :hugs: Ms Donna proves my point beautifully. A post that shows compassion. It's honest and thoughtful with loads of insight.

Bev06 GG
05-20-2006, 02:30 AM

steph
Hi Steph,
What an interesting Post. Personally speaking I'd say that the men and women are very different in their thinking. Having read alot of threads on here I think generally speaking the advice and support given is very intelligent and well thought out. However, it is obvious when its a CD giving it as apposed to a GG. I dont believe by putting on a dress a CD suddenly starts to think like a woman would do. We are all shaped by our upbringing, Gender and social class etc and whether or not we like it, we all have our own little prejudices. .
What men would think of as a harmless bit of fun with nothing else in it, a woman would read allsorts into. We are pretty complex in our thinking really.
However, isn't it nice to get a balance. I have learnt so much from the CDs on this site and it has helped me enormously to understand where my partner is coming from. It has also helped me to realise that men and women are definitely wired up differently and come at a problem from entirely different perspectives. That is why I like this site so much because there is such a good balance.
As for TS Well they are women. Which makes you wonder if the difference between male and female is a hormonal one. I have a very good friend who has had the change and to be honest she is just one of the girls even in her mind set. You can bet your going to get a womans eye view on something if you ask her what she thinks on a particular subject.
Take care
BEVxxx

btmgrl6
05-20-2006, 02:45 AM
Glad you are here. I have no problem with gg's posting in my threads.
i don't understand why so many feel that bias has some sort of negitive meaning. It simple means slanting more in one direction than another. In this instance i am talking about slanting more towards the female point of view.
So on issues that come up that may require looking at both sides of the coin, is a biased group a true reflection on how to settle an issue fairly? I also think that there are a great bunch of people on this sight, very accepting, and very caring. My thread is in no way meant to reflect negitively on anyone.

Steph

Bev06 GG
05-20-2006, 02:54 AM
i don't understand why so many feel that bias has some sort of negitive meaning. It simple means slanting more in one direction than another. In this instance i am talking about slanting more towards the female point of view.
So on issues that come up that may require looking at both sides of the coin, is a biased group a true reflection on how to settle an issue fairly? I also think that there are a great bunch of people on this sight, very accepting, and very caring. My thread is in no way meant to reflect negitively on anyone.

Steph
No Steph and it wasn't taken like that either I think its a very good thread. I have to admit tho, on giving advice if there is something that I feel is way out of my depth, or I think is far too personal, I do err on the cautious.
There have been numberous threads of late on relationship problems, either connected to CD issues or not. I dont feel particularly qualified to give advice on either as my expertise and knowledge can only be fairly applied to my own relationship whereby I can see both sides of the coin. That isn't to say that I cannot share my own experiences and hope that theyre helpful, but to actually advise can be a tricky thing.
BEVxxx

Khriss
05-20-2006, 03:01 AM
...got a "point of view" ?? generated by ,gender,religion,race,nationality... GO FIGURE !? ... though open mindedness ...would be an ideal...

...everywhere..

eh?

andrea6er
05-20-2006, 03:02 AM
Just to throw my two penny worth into the pot, it doesn't matter if your a GG, CD, TG, or any other label, everyone is different and everyone has a different slant on life. Wouldn't it be boring if we were all the same! For me I'm just glad that by some miracle I'm allowed to see life a little bit from both sides of whatever fence you like to sit on. :hugs:

FionaAlexis
05-20-2006, 03:06 AM
being pig headed is one thing, but being honest with yourself and your So is very different (you in general not personally)

Steph

Does changing your views on tg issues cancel your ability to see ( not saying you have to agree with them) from another standpoint?

If I say that I can see your point ,am I not in essence admitting that this is not just about me? I have some culpability too.

I can see things from partner's point of view and I have always had great empathy for her position. I have compromised to fit her point of view. I think I'm quite open about what I do - and I'm happy to discuss my activities. Essentially I want to dress and go out dressed on a regular basis. I think she understands what I do and why I do it. I think I have clear idea of what her limits are.

Not exactly sure what you mean in your second point - I think what I'm saying I'm reasonably flexible on TG issues and I have a willingness to be persuaded that long held views are wrong.

Fiona xx

btmgrl6
05-20-2006, 03:09 AM
help me understand something please.
In my thread i stated that some cd'ers said that they could no longer see from a man's point of view, because their female side wouldn't allow it. I agree that men and woman think quite differently on some issues. However, a man in a dress is still a man... like myself. And no matter how female i get I can still access the man side of my brain. I'll say this once again. As far as i am concerned I am a girl in a guys body. My brain is wired female. I still have the ability to to understand and accept another's point of view, even if that point of view is a man's.
As for the rest of my thread.. no mention of bad advice was ever given. the jist was getting both sides was far better than one side. most issues that come up in here have to do with both male and female points of view.

Steph

btmgrl6
05-20-2006, 03:17 AM
That's what I am talking about... seeing and understanding the other person'e point of view... To do that you would have to put yourself in their place.....

Thank you

Steph

Jean GG
05-20-2006, 03:40 AM
how much credence can we attach to answers given to those with serious issues who come here for help with a problem that could have could have serious consequences?

Excellent question! I think whether or not one can give an unbiased opinion has little to do with being a cd...they other can or can't. Sometimes what seems to be a bias is simply a result of someone NOT knowing any better.

I received many wonderful responses, public and private, to my threads when I first joined the group. I was so distressed and so grateful for each and everyone of them. Thankfully I could tell who might have been biased and tried to view them as such. I am not sure that most distressed people can do that. I later reviewed these responses again and learned even more by being able to, once more, tell which ones were more balanced.

If one posts a thread looking for supports to their own biases, I believe it can be very damaging. Hence, even when posting one must try to present a balanced situation (another thread?) if one wishes to get some benefit from the responses received.

I have gone over my threads with my husband and he too seems able to distinguish between the more biased and less biased opinions received. This helped me even more. Overall, I BELIEVE IT TAKES AN EXTREMELY HONEST PERSON WHO KNOWS HIM/HERSELF WELL ENOUGH TO KNOW IF THEY CAN PROVIDE A BALANCED PERSPECTIVE, WHO HAS DONE A LOT OF SOUL SEARCHING AND WHO THINKS VERY DEEPLY. We all like to think that we can give UNBIASED OPINIONS but in the end it might be inevitable. jean

Khriss
05-20-2006, 03:43 AM
as no GG ( in my life) has yet understood my desires to wear "their style of clothing".. I'm not going to short circuit those who might...
I'm single, and..correct me if I'm wrong... but many GG's come here and while welcomed, tend to impose their own ideals of conduct here..or morays ...forgetting that some,,,, may have come here to escape??...

where's the help?? (realy?) "K"

Jean GG
05-20-2006, 03:50 AM
Sometimes what seems to be a bias is simply a result of someone NOT knowing any better.

If one posts a thread looking for supports to their own biases, I believe it can be very damaging. Hence, even when posting one must try to present a balanced situation if one wishes to get some benefit from the responses received.

Overall, I BELIEVE IT TAKES AN EXTREMELY HONEST PERSON WHO KNOWS HIM/HERSELF WELL ENOUGH TO KNOW IF THEY CAN PROVIDE A BALANCED PERSPECTIVE, WHO HAS DONE A LOT OF SOUL SEARCHING AND WHO THINKS VERY DEEPLY.

I have asked my husband this question many times, now I ask you. Are you capable of presenting a balanced perspective when looking for help and support or are you simply looking for VALIDATION?

I wont be able to review these responses for 3-4 weeks, but look forward to reading them. jean

Jean GG
05-20-2006, 03:54 AM
as no GG ( in my life) has yet understood my desires to wear "their style of clothing".. I'm not going to short circuit those who might...
I'm single, and..correct me if I'm wrong... but many GG's come here and while welcomed, tend to impose their own ideals of conduct here..or morays ...forgetting that some,,,, may have come here to escape??...

where's the help?? (realy?) "K"

I look for opinions that help me understand my cd husband. I wish to LEARN, LEARN, LEARN. :) JEAN

Jean GG
05-20-2006, 03:59 AM
sorry everyone...I did start a new thread with the question above...still learning the system. Thanks for you infinite patience! jean :)

Shelly Preston
05-20-2006, 04:23 AM
Yes, I would say we probably are, but it wont be somerthing we intend to do.

Peoples opinions and responses are based on so many different things that this is a very difficult question to answer.

As has been said earlier Experience, Prejudice, Gender, Upbringing, Education etc, all play a part in our replies.
It would be interesting to hear the response of FTM to the same question

If you had asked "are you biased" you might get different responses

dancinginthedark
05-20-2006, 04:35 AM

Steph

On issues that come up that may require looking at both sides of the coin, is a biased group a true reflection on how to settle an issue fairly? Well Steph when the other side of that coin for the person asking [like a GG] is a CD who better to ask than another CD? That’s what I love about being here, it’s not negative to find bias. I get the scoop from you all, your reality is not the same as some so called normal guy. You’ve been forged by fire. We can post in more than one section. Like the GG, GM, MTf or FTM to get a well rounded response or just askfor everyone's input in a single thread. I can get lots of opinions. Yes, they are bias in that they are from a femme [or CD] POV if I only post and ask for CD input in the MTF forum. I mean no offense when I say this, especially to the transwomen here, but each of you started life as someone’s son and later you may have been [and in many cases still are] a brother, a father, a BF, a husband or a S/O. I trust these feelings and experiences you had at those times are still available when you are relating to someone who needs a more unbiased or male POV. When it is one of the “ladies” here asking for input or help from others there is going to be bias. If you have a roomful of girls/ladies talking to one another you are very likely going to get a femme POV. And honestly there are plenty of threads here that if I didn’t know I was at a CD site it would be impossible to distinguish the GG from any of the other girls here.

GypsyKaren
05-20-2006, 05:47 AM
Are we biased? Of course we are, everyone is to some extant, that's simply human nature. I really don't consider it a gender or trans issue, but an issue of individualism. No matter how hard we try, we have a biased slant on things in our favor, we try to justify as much as possible, as individuals.

I think it's hard to say it's a biased slant towards our "femme" side, at least for most trans people, because many are still torn and confused over this side of them. So many have not reached the point of self acceptance, so to me it's hard to lean towards something you're still fighting over. That's not to say it's not possible, I suppose some can do it sub-conciously, but I doubt it.

For those who have reached self acceptance, like myself, there's still the issue of learning what it's like to be female and to allow the thoughts and feelings associated with it. After a lifetime of self denial and trying to change, it takes time to really get in touch with your inner self and to understand it. For me it's still a learning process that has it's starts and stops, it's ups and downs, but I'm slowly getting there. Hope this makes sense.

Karen

TGMarla
05-20-2006, 07:54 AM
Not all advice is good advice. Any one individual, when polling a diverse crowd such as this one, would have to, out of necessity, sift through the dirt to get to the gold. I try to keep my responses clear of an overtly femme bias, because biased answers to any question are not clearly thought out and well balanced. Most of us here already know the femme (CD) point of view. Whether we are seeking validation or support, or really trying to find answers to complex questions, we all need the input that others are willing to give. Some of that input is going to have a certain bias to it. It's up to us to sort it out.

Kate Simmons
05-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Yes, Steph always. You know me........Ericka

carol ann
05-20-2006, 01:47 PM
Hi Steph,
What an interesting Post. Personally speaking I'd say that the men and women are very different in their thinking. Having read alot of threads on here I think generally speaking the advice and support given is very intelligent and well thought out. However, it is obvious when its a CD giving it as apposed to a GG. I dont believe by putting on a dress a CD suddenly starts to think like a woman would do. We are all shaped by our upbringing, Gender and social class etc and whether or not we like it, we all have our own little prejudices. .
What men would think of as a harmless bit of fun with nothing else in it, a woman would read allsorts into. We are pretty complex in our thinking really.
However, isn't it nice to get a balance. I have learnt so much from the CDs on this site and it has helped me enormously to understand where my partner is coming from. It has also helped me to realise that men and women are definitely wired up differently and come at a problem from entirely different perspectives. That is why I like this site so much because there is such a good balance.
As for TS Well they are women. Which makes you wonder if the difference between male and female is a hormonal one. I have a very good friend who has had the change and to be honest she is just one of the girls even in her mind set. You can bet your going to get a womans eye view on something if you ask her what she thinks on a particular subject.
Take care
BEVxxx

I believe that Bev06 has got it closer to right than any of us crossdressers are ever likely to.

If a GG meets someone she is attracted to knowing already that he crossdresses then she has every opportunity to examine her feelings and to see where both are are coming from before deciding how far to take it.

Those who have spent time on the forum know already that the reasons, background and the extent of CDing are wide and numerous.

When however the crossdressing is discovered after the relationship has settled in it is totally unreasonable for the CD to assume that the GG should accept it. The whole matter of a a normal hetrosexual relationship is suddenly beeing thrown into confusion. The CD without warning has changed the rules of the relationship. That can be unfair and unreasonable. I believe that, at that stage, the CD has to look for the GG to lay down the ground rules for the future of the relationship.

The idea the because a male dresses as a female, that he can decide that he thinks as a female is ludicrous. Genetic make up goes much further than that. We can try but we are beholden to the GG to give the true view
Carol