PDA

View Full Version : When to inform the kids?

Rachel1967
05-19-2006, 05:46 PM
Hi to you all,

I have been wondering if there is a right time to inform your children.
I have a doughtier who has just turned 14. Most of the time she lives with her mother, but stays with me on weekends.
We are very close but I am not sourer if she is ready. We are quit open about thinks and as she is growing up, talk about the changes she is going thought.
Similar threads probably have been posted be for, but any advise would be welcome.

Thank you.:happy:

Sandra
05-19-2006, 06:09 PM
Hi Rachel,

OK first question does her mother know about your dressing? If not would it be fair for your daughter to keep it quiet?

We told our daughter about Nigella when she was 14. Like you we had been open about things with her and she took the news in her stride, infact she did say that she did have an idea about her Dads Cding.

Just one word of caution though, be preparded to lose your clothes and makeup, if any of Nigellas goes missing we know where to look. :)

DonnaT
05-19-2006, 06:14 PM
All kids are different, so there's no telling how whe will react. You know her
best.

However, she's probably going through a bunch of changes of her own, and may not be ready for such a revalation. Then again, she may find it cool, and want to have a make-up party with you.

I told my daughter at 26 and son at 27. He's OK with it, she hasn't spoken of it.

Rachel1967
05-19-2006, 06:17 PM
Hi Sandra,

To your question, no my ex-wife doesn't now.

Kate Simmons
05-20-2006, 02:29 PM
Every situation is different. I told mine when they were in their late teens. Use your intuition (!?) and go with the feelings for the best time and place. Ericka

EricaCD
05-20-2006, 02:47 PM
There is definitely not a hard and fast answer. For our part my wife and I have agreed not to do so at least until they are 18. (And we may not tell them then.) The 2 observations above are excellent and bear repeating.

1. If your ex does not know I would certainly not tell your daughter.
2. 14 is a tough age for a kid in any case, and you may not be doing her any favors.

Erica

karen fox
05-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Hi
my wife told my son, who was 13 at the time, about me dressing like a woman.
imagine his disgust, and I recieved a text from him, when she told him. Not to mention the burden this had put on him.
Really I think she should not have told him without me being present, or it should have me that told him. I don't think he was mature enough to handle this imformation anyway. But then you know your daughter and if it will be OK for you to tell her.
Just thought I'd write that anyway, thanks for reading.
Karen

Joy Carter
05-20-2006, 03:55 PM
Just more amunition to use against you (EX Wife) if she does not take it well !

Rachel1967
05-20-2006, 06:18 PM
Hi to you all,

Thank you for all your replies. I think at the moment I will delay in informing my daughter for now.
As you have sed, she my be too young at the moment.
Once again thank you for your input girls.