PDA

View Full Version : Is it really genetic?

bredalee25
05-19-2006, 06:46 PM
Ok i've been bewildered for some time now. Is being a CD really genetic? The reason i'm asking is that my mom blames my dressing on herself. Also my brother is gay she's taking the blame for that as well. My mom wasn't what you would call very girlie when she was young more like a tomboy she'd climb trees wrestle around with her brothers and wasn't much for tea parties or doll babies. She just liked being one of the boys. So it's got me wondering did the feminine gene skip my mom and wind up in me and my brother. Because i love all things fem clothes, shopping for new clothes, shoes, dressing pretty you know them all so what do you all think about my hypothesis ttfn

DonnaT
05-19-2006, 06:52 PM
Well, the jury's still out on that, but I believe it to be a combination of genetics and the the effect of the hormones we receive in the womb.

Marla S
05-19-2006, 06:55 PM
AFAIK nothing is proven, but your story contradicts a popular theory that CDing is caused by a lack of a male role model.

gennee
05-19-2006, 06:57 PM
I don't believe that crossdressing is genetic. No one in my family (that I know of) crossdresses. Some people just enjoy different things. I never had the desire before until, one day, I got the urge to put on my wife's dress. I've been doing it ever since.

Gennee

bredalee25
05-19-2006, 07:02 PM
My genetic father was not in my life as he was married when my mom got pregnant with me. My grandfather and three uncles were there so it wasn't lack of a male role model. When you have three really big uncles who take you hunting fishing and dirt bike riding to make up for a worthless father helps alot just wanted to add this to my story ttfn

Laurie Ann
05-19-2006, 07:23 PM
I have no clue but I think what DonnaT said makes sense.

Teresa Amina
05-19-2006, 08:30 PM
A Far Out theory would be that genetics and hormones in the womb etc. don't mean a thing. What happened is you are just you. Maybe all that reincarnation stuff is Real. For some reason you couldn't wait for the appropriate body to come along. "So I'll be a boy this time; how bad could it be?" Floating there in the ether between lives it seemed like a good idea. You were in a hurry and took the first thing to come along. Oops!
Good theory for cd/tg/ts, but doesn't explain the gay brother.....
More Wine!:D

livy_m_b
05-19-2006, 08:48 PM
There's enough different kinds of cds/tgs/tss that in my view there's also likely to be multiple causes. I do believe some instances are genetic and also that some instances are related to to prenatal hormonal influences, but I am pretty sure some people just do it and like it for whatever reason. On this channel you see a range of personalities from those who do it for almost purely sexual reasons to those for whom sex seems to play no role at all. For some people, social aspects are the most important, for others it's the shock effect, for others it seems to be a matter of expression of a compelling internal identity. Compared to the population at large there seems to be a larger percentage of persons who have sexual orientation towards men, thinking of themselves as women (speaking of mtfs), but for most of these people they're pretty firm about not considering themselves homosexual (a point which others dispute vigorously) while a large number continue to have a sexual orientation towards women, whether or not they transition/srs. I suppose you could imagine variation along several axes to account for all of this variation so that if we really understood it, it would only be variation in three or fewer factors, but my expectation is that it's more complex.

LucyTwitch
05-19-2006, 08:55 PM
Hi

Genetic No!, we all start live in the womb with no bio sex but have the genes waiting for the right triggers to switched on to difine are bio sex. Which is done by hormones, so the hormones wash thory is the one I would say is why we are what we are. Also we are all individuals and the extent to which we dress is determined by many more factors than the formentioned.

Love
Lucy

Rikkicn
05-19-2006, 10:05 PM
My personal belief is that it's origin is Divine and it has something to do with why we're here. Remember in ancient and not so ancient cultures we were considered healers and shamans and were always at the center of ceremonial life and revered for being special and sent by God.
Today in India, Hishra's still hold this position although it has changed with Christian influences.

Love
Rikki

melissacd
05-19-2006, 10:28 PM
Is it at all possible that it is not specifically genetic or hormonal or incarnationish but rather that one's biology is not the sole determinant in whether one likes or does not like the softer prettier things in life? Is it at all possible that a male can like things that are considered female and vice versa. The world is populated with billions of people and it seems to me that with large numbers statistically this possibility is in point of fact highly probable. The mathematics of small populations in high numbers should allow for the possibility that some males will appreciate femininity in a way that is more than just observing and admiring but rather participating as well.

Rather than seeking a reason why perhaps it is better just to enjoy who we are.

Just a thought. :D

annekathleen
05-19-2006, 10:38 PM
Could a couple of divorces trigger it?
I've been wearing their clothes even when I was married!
Now I wear my own (female) clothes!

Ipexx2
05-19-2006, 11:14 PM
There is link that was posted on digg.com That there was study done that being
gay came mom genetic.Or take it as God makes everyone of us in his own image..

Ipexx2
05-19-2006, 11:15 PM
bredalee,
Of course I don't know your brother, but you seem to be saying that gay men are feminine. I know a lot of gay men who are extremely unfeminine and want nothing to do with anything feminine. My guy is VERY manly and would NEVER be taken for being feminine in any way. Being gay no more equals being feminine than cross dressing equals being gay.
Very true Dawn

Dana
05-20-2006, 12:01 AM
The "Genetic Wash" theory

For those un-initiated ~ it goes that all fetuses up to six weeks are essentially femininie ~ in that all things being equal and un-distrurbed ~ the fetus will develope into a female ~ the natural defualt ~ but for the fetus to develope into a male ~ something "extra" must be added ~ a hormonal wash ~ which not only masculineizes the physical attributes of the fetuses body ~ but the neural pathways of the developing brain as well ~ as a natural consequence ~ (the resutl of any number of known and un-known variables ~ and contributing casuses can result in an almost infinite combination of physical attributes, mental attritbutes, etc. Thus while a child may have the common markers of XY chromosones ~ they're brains may be under-masculinized, over-masculineized etc. Giving them a predisposition toward certain thought patterns (likes, dis-likes, preferances, {left-handedness for example} that can be inter-acted upon by any given one individual's interaction with their environment ~ that is to say we are the sum total of our life-experiences and interaction with others in our given environment.

This leads to the nature ~ nuture debtae ~ which has specatively suggested ~ depending upon the source ~ as being a 60% ~ 40% mix ~ in that 60% of who were are was pre-determined prior to birth ~ and 40% based upon our life experiences thus far to date. My suspescion is that this highly subjective ~ and while may hold true for one given individual ~ may not hold true for another.

Taking this discussion out of the relamn as it pretains to CDing ~ sexual preference ~ another common area this discussion could be held is in the area of substance abuse ~ it is now an established fact ~ that some individuals are born with a natural pre-disposistion toward addictive behavior toward substance abuse, (alcohol, drugs, whatever) that they would never had a problem with had they never first tried it to begin with (interaction with their environment) ~ that is to say ~ (albiet argumentaively) that in a completely temperate society ~ there would be no alcholics ~ if there wasn't any alchohol for them to consume.

*DISCLAIMER*

I am NOT seeking to begin a separtate thread, nor to initate a debate ~ simply explaining a theory as I understand it thus far to date. Others may agree ~ disagree, contribute their wisdom and knowledge ~ but I will not respond further to what I have posted with this post!:hugs: :love:

Khriss
05-20-2006, 12:39 AM
...these arguments abound for every form of socialy unacceptable behavior...some need excuses..some reasons to condemn...either way, I am what I am..and while behaviors can change or even be altered...the trials of self-acceptance..or seeking acceptance by others for my hopefully harmless predilictions.are the hardest for me..as I still ask myself ..What do I have to feel guilty about ??" eh?? xx"K"

Dana
05-20-2006, 01:04 AM
...these arguments abound for every form of socialy unacceptable behavior...some need excuses..some reasons to condemn...either way, I am what I am..and while behaviors can change or even be altered...the trials of self-acceptance..or seeking acceptance by others for my hopefully harmless predilictions.are the hardest for me..as I still ask myself ..What do I have to feel guilty about ??" eh?? xx"K"

Well said! Very WELL said! Here! Here!

Marlena Dahlstrom
05-20-2006, 02:03 AM
The evidence for biological causes (or more likely a propensities that are combined with psychological and social factors) is very suggestive but definitely not conclusive. And undoubtedly the exact causes vary from person to person.

Another factor is simply temperment, which IIRC there is pretty good research that it does have some biological roots. There are simply personality traits and behaviors, societies choose to see some as being "masculine" and some "feminine."

Incidentally, the strong mother-distance/absent mother theory that was a favorite of Freudian theorist (actually for a lot of "deviant" behavior) never has been supported by actual research on CDs.

Delila
05-20-2006, 02:08 AM
I dont think that it is genetic, I think that it is a combination of hormonal makeup and early life influences that some of us do not remember.

Kierci
05-20-2006, 02:15 AM
I wish it was genitic, that would make it alot easier telling the family and others. Sir why do you wear womens clothes? Well my genetics are a little off kilter. LOL OK maybe it wouldnt be that easy but I like to fantacise. I also do not agree with the lack of a Male role, my Dad was there for 28 years of my life and he was a very active part of my daily life, so that doesnt pan water either, sorry :)

Delila
05-20-2006, 02:21 AM
I also think that it varies from person to person which in my opinion sort of proves that it is sort of random and less of genetic makeup.

Julie York
05-20-2006, 03:29 AM
I'd take another look at that old photo of Great Uncle Alice if I were you.:D

Bella
05-20-2006, 05:04 AM
AFAIK nothing is proven, but your story contradicts a popular theory that CDing is caused by a lack of a male role model.

Just a quick hello, I'll post on the introductions area soon, but wanted to respond to this.

My parents divorced when I was really young, about 2yrs old. My mum left for Australia (she wasn't uncaring, she just knew I'd have a better life with my dad and his family). Anyway, I was brought up by my grand parents, dad and two uncles.

I've been cding for as long as I have memories, so it's not all sexual and I wasn't without strong male role models.

I'm a hell of a lot like my mother and bits of me strongly like my dad, they're about as diverse as two people can get so it's easy to spot where genetic stuff comes from.

As far as the cding goes, my mother didn't bat an eyelid but my dad, well I carefully approached it once and he left it hanging and then slid away from the subject...

ronda
05-20-2006, 05:20 AM
i lived in with my dad and 4 brothers from age 12 my mom passed away and my sister were married so the male role model thing goes out the window not to mention that i remember wearing heels panties and dresses at age 4 and loving them at age 6 i was made to take them off and told not to do that any more but i liked them so i kept on dressing and playing with the gg next door:D :happy:

bredalee25
05-20-2006, 07:19 AM
Wow alot of information in these posts it seems it is triggered in most cases by a curriosity about female clothing. In other cases it's more a natural thing to dress. In my case it was the 2nd one to me it's natural to wear a skirt or dress or anything considered female as i feel i'm a female and dressing just makes the outside match the inside. This is alot for a girl to take in but i've read all the posts and thank you all for your insight on this subject. ttfn

Adrienne Heels
05-20-2006, 07:19 AM
As a little boy, I used to love to wear heels...I used to walk around our home and two of my aunts' homes like that. They all thought it was so cute that I went right for the shoe closet when I got there.

My mother had the dominant role in my parents' marriage...my father was very passive. The same thing holds true in my marriage.

There has to be some genetic issue.

BarbaraNY
05-20-2006, 07:59 AM
"Why can't it be genetic?" Everyone spends countless hours attempting to come up with a reason. Why does there have to be a reason? Trained professionals can't explain it, so why should we think we can come up with an answer. Things are what they are and it's just that simple. Until some one comes up with documentably supported scientific data, I for one would fall back on the adage "KISS" and say..."Why can't it be genetic?"

RikkiOfLA
05-20-2006, 07:59 AM
I was born in 1949. My mother had miscarried once (or was it twice?) before, and I was her first child who was born live, and she was already 40. (Whew! How's that for a run-on sentence?)

So her doctor prescribed her "a new drug" called DES (diethylstilbestrol). It was a synthetic estrogen that was prescribed to women to prevent miscarriages.

It was later determined that DES had lots of side effects. Many male babies were born transgendered. Some males born under its influence have a painful time ejaculating. Some girls have even more severe symptoms--breasts and sex organs are incorrectly formed.

DES was on the market in the USA from the early 40s until 1954. It was sold in some third world countries even longer, but since 1970 it's been off the market everywhere.

It took me years to come to grips with this and learn about it and accept my transgenderedness, to the point where I love being me. DES probably saved my life--I might have been another miscarriage.

Rikki

Annesah
05-20-2006, 08:25 AM
I think it's all the above. Geneticaly; gender "issues" go back a long way on our maternal side. Lot's of lesbians. Most recently my maternal aunt and my sister are gay. The aunt is very fem and sis is quite guyish. Then there's the wash. It may account for the difference in my aunt and sis as well as partially explain my preferences. Social, invironmental; definitely. My beloved pre-school day care "mom" actively nurtured my fem. In the end, I'm more than OK with everyting and would wish to change nothing.
Everything is as it should be.

michelle19845
05-20-2006, 11:03 AM
i agree with the wash theory definitely,the absence of male role model maybe a little,it could also depend on how good of a role model he is too,not just if one is there.i believe that nature/nurture is a big one and also if parents consumed certain substances that could affect child's development.come cases feelings of depression and or anxiety could be the cause.things that happen at puberty with changes could affect it.
some are just plain cders and just do it for a high femme feeling and are happy to be male.i personally think that that is affected by a nature or nurture problem.some just find it hard to get along with their birth gender and realize through time that they fit a female better than a male.i'm sure there are some other reasons out there.also,parents wanting a girl,instead of a boy or vice versa,they may try to have it be more of the gender they wanted and didn't get.we're all here for some kind of reason.we'll find out why sooner or later.

Kate Simmons
05-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Our's is a special "gift" Brenda. Not everyone has the outlook from both vantage points like we do. It depends on what you do with the "gift" once you realize you have it. I find that overall, it gives me a lot of perspective. When I first came out of the 'closet" I was kind of apprehensive but now I just enjoy being who I am. It may be genetic or it may be "learned" but the point is how you deal with it. I cannot escape being Ericka anymore than I can escape being Richard and don't try and just go with the flow. I'm way past the "basics" of clothes, wigs and makeup and into developing myself as an overall person and am comfortable with myself either way. I am finding out anything less than that compromises who I am as a person. It's always nice to have others to talk to who understand however. Ericka

Billie Jean
05-20-2006, 12:58 PM
I don't believe that crossdressing is genetic. No one in my family (that I know of) crossdresses. Some people just enjoy different things. I never had the desire before until, one day, I got the urge to put on my wife's dress. I've been doing it ever since.

GenneeThat is that you know of. there may be someone closely related to you who crossdresses and they just haven't come out to anyone. Have you? I don't think every male in a dress has genes that make them do it. Women are fully female genetically and men are half female genetically. Everyone started out female and the male hormones turned them into boys during gestation.0.02 Billie Jean

Kate Simmons
05-20-2006, 02:22 PM
How we wish to express ourselves may be genetic. A lot of the issues with clothing are based on society's programming though. Ericka

bredalee25
05-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Our's is a special "gift" Brenda. Not everyone has the outlook from both vantage points like we do. It depends on what you do with the "gift" once you realize you have it. I find that overall, it gives me a lot of perspective. When I first came out of the 'closet" I was kind of apprehensive but now I just enjoy being who I am. It may be genetic or it may be "learned" but the point is how you deal with it. I cannot escape being Ericka anymore than I can escape being Richard and don't try and just go with the flow. I'm way past the "basics" of clothes, wigs and makeup and into developing myself as an overall person and am comfortable with myself either way. I am finding out anything less than that compromises who I am as a person. It's always nice to have others to talk to who understand however. Ericka
Erika sounds like you've come to terms with your life style. But sad to say but i'm not there yet i'm still trying to figure it out. It does help to have all you girls to talk to. Without you i'd probabally not be here to post anything as suicide was in my thoughts at one time. Thanks to all the kind loving girls here you've helprd me to see that i've the right to live as i see fit. If that means wearing pretty clothes and being female so what if i'm happy thats all that matters to me. I just wish my gf would accept brenda as part of me and love me anyway. She doesn't even want to talk about it she always yells at me when gender issues come up. She was so mad when she found out that I was visiting crossdressers.com and talking to you girls but she doesn't know i'm one of the girls here. I told her I needed a fem name to join the forum and that you girls wouldn't talk to a GM only another CD. Ok so I told a little lie sue me you won't get much. Well anyway Erika thank you very very much for your insight. ttfn