PDA

View Full Version : What books have you read?

Sweet Susan
11-16-2004, 12:52 AM
I have read several books about crossdressers and transexuals over the past few years. In the past year, I have read three books about crossdressers who went on to become transexuals. The books I have read are: Hidden In Plain Sight, by Leslie Townsend, an interesting look at someone who is absolutely gorgeous as a woman; She's Not There: A Life In Two Genders by Jennifer Boylan, a fantastic story, very well written by Jim Boylan, who became Jennifer Boylan. He was an English professor at a New England university; she is now filling in for him. He has written several books, one of which was made into a movie. The other one was written by the crossdresser's daughter, and it was called, Dress Codes: My Mom, Me, My Dad by Noell Howey. This was a sad story. Evidently the dad was just a crossdresser, but he just kept wanting to go to the next step, each time somewhat reluctantly, until finally he transitioned, and went to Europe and had a sex change. His daughter went with him and helped him through it and through out the entire process. Three very interesting books. I'm sure some of you have read books. What say you?

Wendy-Anne
11-16-2004, 01:25 AM
There is always the classic Australian novel "The Twybourne Affair" by Patrick White. A strange novel, almost like brittle steel at times, but quite compelling for any dresser.
Wendy-Anne

Sweet Susan
11-16-2004, 01:27 AM
I'm not familiar with The Twybourne Affair. I assume you recommend it. Isn't there another novel out there. Let's see, they made a movie about it, and a play, I believe. Yes, that's it. Madame Butterfly. Have you read that?

KewTnCurvy GG
11-16-2004, 01:31 AM
Hmmmm, most recently I read My Husband Betty. Interesting stuff:)

hugs
kew

Amelie
11-16-2004, 03:45 PM
I just read "*****s of Lost Atlantis" by Charles Busch
Amelie

Julie
11-16-2004, 05:03 PM
Dressing Up (Transvestism and Drag The History of an Obsession) by Peter Ackroyd.

JJ

Sharon
11-17-2004, 12:41 AM
I had to go down to my library to dig this book out, but my first written exposure was a paperback published in 1972 called "Once I was a Man -- Behold, I am a Woman," written by "Dianna" as told to Felicity Cochrane. I was still very much confused about these feelings I was having and here I found an autobiography by someone who had gone through something I was sure was unique to me. It was so long ago that I remember little about the author's story, but it had an incredible impact.
I think I'll hang onto it and give it another read.