PDA

View Full Version : Arm hair

Sharon
11-16-2004, 04:26 PM
I have a question that can be taken seriously this time!
I am a little tired of shaving my arms and the back of my hands. Seeing how light (but dark) the hair is, is there some sort of bleach solution I could use to just whiten the color so that what I have is less noticeable? Has anyone tried something like this with success?
I thank you in advance for any knowledge you can share with me.
Sharon

Chandra Marie
11-16-2004, 04:31 PM
I like Sally Hanson's bleaching cream

christine55
11-17-2004, 02:11 AM
I buy the blonding for hair, lasts longer than facial hair bleach for women, and I have this little gizmo I picked up for 1.99 that holds 2 double edge razor blades with short combs covering the blades. Works really well to trim down the hair after bleaching.
Hugs, Christine

Rachel Ann
11-17-2004, 02:46 AM
I don't know as much as you girls, but what's wrong with peroxide?

Lily_gg
11-17-2004, 04:18 AM
I use Jolen bleach (but not on arms) - it's safe for face and body, and if you have an allergic reaction, they'll refund you I believe.

But really, how bad are your arms? My hair is very dark (natural brunette), although my arm hair isn't really that thick - there's a fair amount, but the actual hairs are quite skinny - it's girlie hair after all - and I don't do anything about it now. Had it waxed off a couple of times when I was younger, and upset about the cruel boys I knew teasing me and saying I was a man, but it isn't a worry now - if yours isn't too thick, you could probably leave it, or maybe try waxing a few times to thin it down a bit? In fact it's just about the only hair on my body that gets left to its own devices now!!! :p

Rachel Elizabeth
11-17-2004, 11:14 AM
I just decided to get rid of it. With the term "metrosexual" floating around, more young business men are actually getting brow and body waxes. I just got the entire waxing job last evening, including the removal of my arm and had hair. I looooovvvveee it!!!

Rachel

Natasha Anne
11-17-2004, 02:48 PM
I just use a beard trimmer with a No 1 guard or none at all. I find shaving leaves stubble. I tried bleach, but it just leaves you looking like a woolly elephant :)

Sharon
11-17-2004, 04:32 PM
I use Jolen bleach (but not on arms) - it's safe for face and body, and if you have an allergic reaction, they'll refund you I believe.

But really, how bad are your arms? My hair is very dark (natural brunette), although my arm hair isn't really that thick - there's a fair amount, but the actual hairs are quite skinny - it's girlie hair after all - and I don't do anything about it now. Had it waxed off a couple of times when I was younger, and upset about the cruel boys I knew teasing me and saying I was a man, but it isn't a worry now - if yours isn't too thick, you could probably leave it, or maybe try waxing a few times to thin it down a bit? In fact it's just about the only hair on my body that gets left to its own devices now!!! :p

Lily,
The hair isn't real thick, but it is very dark and noticeable, at least to me, especially on the back of my hands. I've been shaving it for some time now, but within a day or two it is back and black as ever. Since it would be less noticeable if it was white or blond, I thought bleaching it might be a viable solution.
Thanks and love,
Sharon

Wenda
11-17-2004, 07:30 PM
I am going to try bleaching. I shave the tops of my fingers and hands, but there isn't much hair there. I never thought about the hair on my arms until I started dressing up, and I feel like it is pretty noticeable. Some interesting suggestions I will try, especially the thinning comb. Let you know if I end up looking like a wooly elephant LOL. wenda.

Lily_gg
11-18-2004, 04:26 AM
Lily,
The hair isn't real thick, but it is very dark and noticeable, at least to me, especially on the back of my hands. I've been shaving it for some time now, but within a day or two it is back and black as ever. Since it would be less noticeable if it was white or blond, I thought bleaching it might be a viable solution.
Thanks and love,
Sharon
I know exactly what you mean about it being really noticeable to you, that's why I asked if it was really that bad (I'm a dark brunette, so I know what it's like to have noticeable body hair - I'm having my underarms lasered because even just after shaving they'd still look stubbly because of how dark the hair was, just under the surface of the very fair skin there).

I hadn't thought about the backs of the hands though - can see how that could be a problem. There is the woolly mammoth risk, there's also the risk that leaving the bleach on for the max time will only part bleach the hair, leaving you with a mix of dark, orange and blond. Whenever I use Jolen (upper lip, urrghh. Not really that bad, but I notice it, so want to get rid of it, just like you and your arms!) I leave it for twice the time. I probably shouldn't, my skin goes slightly red, but it fades within the hour, and I've been doing it for so long now I know it'll be fine...

If you really want to get rid of it, I'd say the best suggestion would be a wax. As others have said, we are in the middle of the 'metrosexual revolution' - if any guys pick on you for having it done, say you got talking to the beautician at a coffee shop, and she was really hot, so you went there to get her to fuss over you. :p

Wenda
11-18-2004, 10:11 PM
I did the Sally Hansen Cream Bleach sensitivity test on my arm last night. no reaction... but.. also don't see much bleaching....I will keep you posted. wenda.

Sharon
11-19-2004, 12:01 AM
I bought some Sally Hansen yestersay, but I need to let the hair grow out a bit more I think. I'll probably end up waxing so I don't end up worrying about dark roots. :eek:

Sharon
11-19-2004, 12:19 AM
The thing is that when you see a GG with an above average amount of hair, then she's just hairy, like many Mediterranean women are. If a TG has heavy hair, it makes him/her feel self-conscious if there's just a little bit of a second-glance.

Sweet Susan
11-19-2004, 02:37 AM
I take a pair of hair clippers with a #1 adapter. It cuts the hair down to about a 1/4 of an inch. Works really well for most things. The problem I'm left with though is my wrists and hands. I can't shave just my hands, cuz then it looks like I'm wearing "hand" gloves. It's a dillemma. I used to shave my arms, but then it starts to grow out and it's hard to maintain. It's hard to explain a beard on the arm. Waxing might be the answer, but then again, you are still stuck with the arm beard eventually. I'd like a solution, myself

Rachel Ann
11-19-2004, 03:40 AM
With the term "metrosexual" floating around, more young business men are actually getting brow and body waxes.

Although it is working in our favor, I still don't understand the difference between a metrosexual and a fop :confused:

Lily_gg
11-19-2004, 04:07 AM
A metrosexual tends to be very successful in business, and thus have lots of money, sharp suits (by the 'in' designers), women dripping off his arms, and a big growly sports car, all of which confirm the size of his manhood, which of course he has no need to boast about, being a metrosexual and not an '80s stockbroker. Whilst he is well versed in foods, fine wines, beauty regimes etc, and is of course impeccably well groomed, he can still beat his entire local rugby team when it comes to doing circuits at the gym, and has a healthy 'male' social life, involving many dates with the aforementioned gorgeous women, as well as gallery openings, arty film viewings and so on.

A fop is a bit less refined grooming-wise, less money (of his own, see below), floppy hair rather than wrists, and gets the women who want to look after him, puppy dog style (Hugh Grant in any of his pre-Bridget Jones films really). He'd probably not beat the local girls' school in gym circuits, let alone a rugby team. He's best described by the word sweet. Also, he may not be as aware of being in touch with his feminine side as the metrosexual, and tends to just bumble along through life. If he does have money, it's Daddy's.

Maybe? :p

Rachel Ann
11-19-2004, 04:17 AM
Thanks Lily, that's better than I could do, ever! :D

Wenda
11-21-2004, 12:24 AM
Just finished my second bleaching with Sally Hansen Cream. My arm hair is a lot lighter in colour, so I am satisfied. I mix it according to the instructions, but apply it with my hands and work it in to ensure good coverage. Leave 15 minutes and rinse. No side effects. I will probably do again tomorrow, then once every week or two. I am also going to find a thinning comb and just reduce the volume of hair a bit. Wenda.

Lily_gg
11-27-2004, 06:05 AM
Thanks Lily, that's better than I could do, ever! :D
Glad you like :D

Rachel Ann
11-27-2004, 06:21 AM
I was in a hurry, so I just shaved off my arm and hand hair with my electric razor (I didn't have much and it is very fine). Nobody said a word. If anyone had I would have just said that some gray hairs were appearing (all my friends know that I am very vain about not having any gray hair).

Sweet Susan
11-27-2004, 11:06 PM
Jenny, that is just damn clever!

DonnaT
11-28-2004, 12:02 AM
LOL Fast thinking Jenny. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_159.gif

Jeannie9
11-28-2004, 12:15 AM
Jenny,

That's a great one. The things we can come up with when were on the spot.

With all our "knowledge" we could have our very own comedy hour!

You gals are the best.

Jeannie

Wenda
11-28-2004, 05:34 AM
My boss noticed that I had shaved off my arm hair recently. I guess it's noticeable because I had sooo much of it.

Anyway, he mentioned it and I told him I was sprayed by a skunk and it was the only way to totally get rid of the odor.

Ok ok, I was on the spot. Now if he ever mentions it again, I'll just say that I liked it that way and decided to keep it. Think he'll buy that?
:D Sprayed by a skunk!?!?!?!? damn, that is goood!I have done the sally Hanson cream three times and it does really lighten my arm hair. I notice it after a bath. wenda.