PDA

View Full Version : I've been growing my nails...

Leslie16
05-24-2006, 05:15 PM
for 4 weeks now, and plan to paint them for the very first time this weekend. Any advice?

Leslie16
05-24-2006, 05:19 PM
this shows the length better...

Julie York
05-24-2006, 05:20 PM
DanaJ the Supreme Empress of nails will advise you, but from a basic view...put clear on first and DON'T paint into the corner!! It is the staining in the edges that is a killer to get off.

Leslie16
05-24-2006, 05:21 PM
is there a remover that works better than the others? that part scares me!

Julie York
05-24-2006, 05:26 PM
No idea, but I DO know from sad experience that you remove it by dabbing with cotton wool...hold...then wipe off outwards towards the fingertips. Don't smear or rub it around like cleaning paint off or it gets right into your cuticles and sides of the nail.

Leslie16
05-24-2006, 05:28 PM
how long before it all came off?

Kate Simmons
05-24-2006, 06:48 PM
I Just know that I wear polish every night and take it off in the morning. Just use regular polish remover and Q-tips with remover to take it off around the cuticles. It just takes practice that's all. Ericka

Katrina
05-24-2006, 06:52 PM
I'm sure Dana will tell me this is completely wrong, but I use cotton balls. I put some remover on the cotton ball and rub it on the nail. I get the bulk of it off that way on each finger then get a clean cotton ball and repeat, but this time pressing a clean portion of the ball into the cuticle area using another fingernail. I then wash my hands to get the remover off and then moisturize with some hand lotion making sure to get the lotion into the edges of the nails.

Wenda
05-24-2006, 07:14 PM
like katrina said. I use cosmetic pads which seem a bit more robust than cotton balls.

Jodi
05-24-2006, 07:28 PM
I would recommend two coats of clear enamel before applying the color. THis will help to ensure that the nail is completely covered with the clear.

Jodi

DanaJ
05-24-2006, 07:36 PM
Pure acetone will work best, but just about any acetone-based or non-acetone polish remover will work fine.

1) Use a clear base coat, especially for blues and reds (which can stain your nails)
2) do not touch your cuticles with the polish, that is, do not polish right up to the cuticles
3) when removing, do NOT soak the removal pad or cotton ball with remover, just dampen it. If you use too much remover, the thinned out polish will then run into all the nooks and crannies. THIS is what makes nail polish hard to remove.
4) hold the removal pad or cotton ball on the nail for a few seconds to soften the polish, then wipe outwards towards the ends of your nails
5) go over all your nails, then take a new pad or ball and go over all nails again
6) if necessary, use a Q-tip (cotton bud) to get around the cuticles
7) scrub well with soap and water and a nail brush
8) use a moisturizer and cuticle oil when finished

I just got home from my weekly nail salon appointment, got a really cool French with sparkly silver tips - I should take a pic and post it :)