PDA

View Full Version : People just won't believe you

Phyliss
05-25-2006, 03:09 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how people just don't seem to want to believe the truth.

Two cases happened to me today.

1. I was ordering some weather stripping for a job I'm involved with, and I needed a particular color. Taupe, to be exact. I called my factory and spoke to the secretary, to place the order. Now, M---- is a nice person and even though I've never met her, we've had some fun conversations on the phone. When I told her the color I wanted I also said that I wanted it to match my stockings. A two second pause and she said that she preferred "suntan" as it gave her legs a nicer glow. I asked her what brand she bought and she replied, "Leggs, of course" and said the tag line of "Nothing beats a great pair of legs." I commented that most likely she picked them up in the grocery store, to which she replied, "Sure, why not?" I went on to say that I didn't care too much for pantyhose as I could never find the right size, and that I liked thigh high stockings better, or, if I was going to wear regular stockings I simply had to have an 8 strap garter belt with metal clasps. ( started to make it into a joke at this point so that she wouldn't be too shocked) I also said that I liked the metal clasp because a plastic one will give out at 1 a.m. while I'm on the street corner. She mentioned that I must look nice with the hair sticking out all over lie somebody with a crew cut putting their head on a screen.
Even though I kinda told her I wear stockings she wanted to believe it was a joke. Like I say I didn't want to push the issue and MAKE her believe me, but I though it was funny in that you can tell some people the truth and they refuse to believe you.

2. Second time today, I was getting a hair cut this afternoon and the gal who cuts my hair was saying how I looked much better now that I've lost weight and that I must be feeling quite proud of myself. I told her, "Yes I do feel better about myself and feel so good that now I can fit into a size 14 skirt." She laughed and said that I was quite funny.

Some people,"Just don't get it" I think it's a hoot to be able to look a person square in the eye and tell the truth and they still don't believe you.

Julia Cross
05-25-2006, 03:13 PM
Well when it's too forward, they just figure you're joking.

J

myMichelle
05-25-2006, 03:22 PM
I've had very similar experiences myself. I know exactly what you're talking about...Although, in fairness, I suppose it isn't everyday that a woman has a man bring up such traditionally feminine things in casual conversation. I'm not sure women are intentionally trying to hurt our feelings, I just think that they make the (incorrect) assumption that, if a man says that sort of thing, he must be joking. The only exception to this comes around Halloween. Then, pretty much anything goes--just don't get me started on how much that p****s me off! Anyway, I can totally relate to what you're talking about. Hang in there...

nikisbest
05-25-2006, 05:28 PM
I have to agree, I was talking to a nurse from my doctors office on the phone, and she was going over my sheet of results from my doctors visit. She made a comment that I had gained a little weight, I said I thought my bras were getting a little tight, and she just laughed and said yeah they might be a little tighther. I joke like that all the time, its my way of being honest, and I guess I joke so much with people that they dont take me seriously. Oh well, still have a clear conscience.:)
Niki

jerseycarla
05-25-2006, 06:00 PM
I just love to look at GG's and say "who do you think has prettier panties on, you or me".

Wenda
05-26-2006, 02:15 AM
I have similar experiences, even when I slip into my femme voice to answer a question, they dismiss it. I guess my male persona is well defined, so the cd image doesn't fit. I don't push it, just leave it out there, in all honesty, and if no one takes up on it, no problem. I have had a couple of ladies comment on my awarenss of shoes or makeup though, and I think I have left them with a little lingering question at the back of their minds.

Nikki Dee
05-26-2006, 05:39 AM
Yeah. so true...happens daily with me...I work with a lot of girls and the more I tell them the "truth", the more they laugh...they refer to me as "one of the girls" now, thinking what a hoot that is...if only they knew.??..(though I suspect the more sensitive of them might just have a clue.!!!)
Nikki. xx

Sophie_A
05-26-2006, 09:05 AM
I regularly make comments, about clothes, shoes, makeup. If its someone I dont know, its often interesting to see the reaction, and it makes my friends crease, because most of them know all about me.

Its who I am, and I am proud of who I am, i have no choice as to who I am, so I now enjoy being me.

Sharon_Rose
05-26-2006, 09:24 AM
I have similar conversations all of the time. I may get a double take but after the double take, they get into the swing of things offering many suggestions. I find younger sales personnel are more inclined to believe you. When shopping in drab for women's items, after they ask me to described my "wife's" skin color, likes, etc., and I look at them and say "no, it is for me", they then take it seriously that I am a "woman."

I have not really encountered anyone who thought it was a joke.

Jenny Beth
05-26-2006, 09:39 AM
I have a funny thing happening with a woman who owns an upscale clothing shop that my wife does alterations for. Sandy (the owner and friend) hasn't a clue about me but I'd be one of her best customers if she knew. Anyway last Christmas I bought my wife a gorgeous sweater and Sandy commented I had good taste in women's clothes. I told her I'd make sure I told everyone where I bought my women's clothing, her comeback was that I'd better. So we've had this little thing going for a while and this past weekend was the best. My wife bought two bras on Saturday and as Sandy was putting them in the bag she handed her a Simone Perele lingerie brochure (gorgeous stuff) saying, "This is for him". I didn't have a comeback for this except to say, "Why thank you". When we got in the truck we giggled all the way home, if she only knew! Our next trip in should be interesting, I'm going to ask if I get a discount.

JoAnnDallas
05-26-2006, 10:12 AM
One time at a family get together, my brother-in-law started doing a typical gay routine. He is a jokester. I started laughing and then went into my fem voice and next thing we both in front of the family doing this gay routine. It was a hoot and everyone laughed and had a great time. Later my brother-in-law commented that my performence was too good. I replyed that I had a lot of practice. He looked at me funny for a second and then we both started laughing real hard.

TammyB
05-26-2006, 10:28 AM
If you mention it flipantly like that, then yeah people will make out that you are joking and have a laugh with you. But whether they actually believe you are joking, how can you be sure? You did bring it up, and that does say somthing.