PDA

View Full Version : query on measurements

DawnLabelle
05-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Hi all,

I recently ordered a few tops and a dress through eBay which were all listed as 38" chest, yet two of the 5 pieces of clothing didn't fit at all, and only the stretchier material ones did.

This got me thinking.....

we all know how to measure for a bra, around the chest for the band size, around the bust and use the delta for the cup size. But when it comes to chest measurements for a top, do we use the same measurement?, or are we supposed to measure around the fullest part of the breast?, so my 38C would become a 42" chest?

im fed up of wasting money online like this so any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Dawn

Butterfly Bill
05-25-2006, 07:01 PM
Measure just under your armpits around the widest part of your chest for a shirt, blouse, or other kind of top. There is no such differance like the one you described for bras.

The best way not to waste money is to buy clothes in person so you can actually try things on.

Brianna Lovely
05-26-2006, 04:29 AM
Try shopping at local Thrift stores, until you get your sizing right. I use a mini tape measure that I bought at HomeDepot. It's a one inch square key chain-tape measure.
Take your measurement (42") add 2" = 44", divide by two = 22". Now, go to the thrift store and measure across the front of a top, just below the sleeve opening. If it's 22" try it on, see how it fits.
Please keep in mind that a size 18 is not the same, across makers or time. Women's clothing is made bigger for spring (weight gaine over winter) and smaller in the fall.
Some examples........................

Your Size = 42" = size 18....

A Web Store- Woman 18W, L, 42.5"
Misses 18, XL, 42.5"

Speigle- Woman 14,1X, 42"
Misses 18, XL, 43"

Target- Woman 16, XL, 42"

Sears- 16W, 1X, 43"

Bealls- Misses 18, XL, 43"
Junior 18, XL, 42.5"

Walmart- Woman 18, XL, 43"
Plus 16W, 1X, 42.5"

Hope this helps.

EricaCD
05-26-2006, 08:52 AM
Usually, bust measurements for clothing represent the circumference of the material at the widest point. So you'd be a 42" bust for clothing even though a 38" bra size.

You'll still get loused up occasionally, but it'll be because eBay sellers often are not careful about their measurements.....

Erica