PDA

View Full Version : different race crossdress?

jo_ann
05-26-2006, 07:47 PM
ever think about crossdressing as another race? black/white on FX was a good example.. thought about what it would be like to do some sort of halloween costume where I was black. The one year I dressed up as a nurse, a white couple dressed up as jamacians, so I don't think anyone would really be offended by it. I would just love to trick people as they come in "who's the black woman? I don't remember meeting her"

maybe...
1. dress as oprah with money falling out of my purse
2. dress up as whitney houston with track marks on my arms and a needle sticking out
3. storm from xmen
4. ru paul

mudanjel
05-26-2006, 11:11 PM
It seems a little dicey to me, JoAnn, but attitudes about race in a huge city like Chicago are probably a lot different than where I live.

I'd only do it in a campy style (Storm or Ru Paul) and make sure it didn't come across as putting black face on as in the old days of vaudeville.

Lisa Maren
05-27-2006, 12:45 AM
I agree

I would do this only as a gesture of respect for the person as whom you're dressing up. Note, however, that even then I'd bet you would get mixed responses at best.

I think the responses would probably be a bit more relaxed for a fictitious character, such as Storm.

Even in a big city (I live in San Francisco, so I'm not speaking from ignorance) I don't think it's without risk.

You could always have fun by dressing up as Mrs. Doubtfire, Tootsie, Patrick Swayze's character in To Wong Foo or Tori Spelling or something humorous like that.

Hugs,
Lisa

Ebonee_Tgirl
05-27-2006, 02:27 AM
Yikes. Not a good idea hon. I'd have to kick your ass! :D Seriously though, I don't think you would find a SINGLE black person who would find it funny or "ok". And why if you did do it would you choose such a negative image as Whitney with needles and track marks? That's like me saying i'll paste myself up with white flour and lay on a bed with a needle in my arm in a pool of puke pretending to be Janis Joplin.

older not wiser
05-27-2006, 02:31 AM
Yikes. Not a good idea hon. I'd have to kick your ass! :D Seriously though, I don't think you would find a SINGLE black person who would find it funny or "ok". And why if you did do it would you choose such a negative image as Whitney with needles and track marks? That's like me saying i'll paste myself up with white flour and lay on a bed with a needle in my arm in a pool of puke pretending to be Janis Joplin.

Good point hon, very good point. You got my vote!!!!

Love BonnieAnne

Tracy_Victoria
05-27-2006, 02:58 AM
The one year I dressed up as a nurse, a white couple dressed up as jamacians, so I don't think anyone would really be offended by it. I would just love to trick people as they come in "who's the black woman? I don't remember meeting her"

4. ru paul

Several years ago, I worked in an office as an office manager, one of the girls there, invited all the workers to her birthday party, then springing the fact that it was a Fancy dress party, sounding as it was going to be a good night, all the workers that could go, did.

When I arrived at the party, I could not see the birthday girl (Joanne, quite a plain jane!) Anywhere, which was a suprize as she said she would be there from the start. Yet there was a young Indian with quite a crowd of people gather round her) she certainly seemed popular, but being new in with several workers together we all went off to get a beer!

Then this young lady starts heading our way, and greets us all by name, we were all stunned, it was Jo! Gone was the mass of big bushy black curly hair, it had all been slicked down and styled by adding a really plated long hair piece, that just looked totally real! She had darked her extremely light complextion by several shades, and the coustume just topped the look of completely. She would have been accepted, in any indian comunity, as of that race totally with out question!

(I went as Merlin the magician, before any one asks!!!) :happy:

Tracy_Victoria
05-27-2006, 03:00 AM

Very well put, and it a shame that both ladies, Janis, and whitney, have both become victims of the stress, and success of there careers and money!

CobraJett
05-27-2006, 11:40 PM
ever think about crossdressing as another race? black/white on FX was a good example.. thought about what it would be like to do some sort of halloween costume where I was black. The one year I dressed up as a nurse, a white couple dressed up as jamacians, so I don't think anyone would really be offended by it. I would just love to trick people as they come in "who's the black woman? I don't remember meeting her"

maybe...
1. dress as oprah with money falling out of my purse
2. dress up as whitney houston with track marks on my arms and a needle sticking out
3. storm from xmen
4. ru paul

I would love to have to look of an asian woman....they are just so beautiful ! But since I am 6'6", that's kinda out of the question ...:(

CJ

Wenda
05-28-2006, 01:33 AM
My mom's eldest sister, who would be 106 years old this year, did a little act as "Sven Svenson", which was a short step, since both of her parents were born in Sweden. So, in drag, she was Swedish, but, she was fascinated with being black and I have pictures of her in black makeup, and with my mom and her twin brother as little black children. It wasn't disrespectful, not like vaudeville. For her, it was a Polly-Anna view of black is beautiful long before that was reality. Years later, when we talked about it, she said she just thought that black skin was beautiful. (which I also believe)
If I could, I would be my absolute favourite star, Teena Turner, but, I don't have the legs or the voice. You can always dream. In colour.

DeniseNY
05-28-2006, 08:17 AM
You could have also chosen to be Whitney Houston when she was singing the National Anthem or before she married the toxic Bobby Brown - she was once beautiful and strong and resplendent and elegant. (The needle and tracks thing comes off as disrespectful.)

As a Black woman, I would not be offended seeing you as Oprah, Storm, or RuPaul. Or even the sista next door.

I myself have never given thought to cross-racing. Cross-dressing is a big enough step as it is :) . I saw the Wayans brothers in "White Chicks" - and I know not to go there - LOL !!!!

Kate Simmons
05-28-2006, 11:27 AM
I agree with you Ebonee, the idea is to be yourself, not be in some costume . You especially have to have the feelings of others in mind when it comes to something like this, as to what is the purpose, etc. I enjoy dressing differently when I'm working undercover but that's for a specific purpose and not just for the hell of it. Although the idea of posing as Chewbacca in drag has a certain appeal to it. Don't think it's ever been done before. But then knowing me, I would probably attempt to feminize the Swamp Thing too. LOL Ericka

HaleyPink2000
05-28-2006, 12:03 PM
:D I wana see your pics after do this. LOL:) Many people do that. It's Halloween for Gawd sake. :D