PDA

View Full Version : My Saturday adventure, a baby step out of the closet

Phyliss
05-28-2006, 07:32 PM
So,.....Having had my fun on Saturday, dressing up, having some photos taken, and walking around in the parking lot, I had this thought that I just had to continue my adventure.
My sister is visiting for the weekend. Now, I'll tell anybody who wants to listen that the only reason she's still alive is because I couldn't figure out what to do with the body when we were kids. Since we've gotten older we've become much closer. I find that I look forward to her visiting, when we can talk about many things that "we" understand, having grown up together and sharing some common experiences.
Now,...to set the stage a bit, she has a camper trailer of her own and keeps it parked in my back yard. This way when she visits, she kinda has her own place. This morning I decided to "stick IT out". Went out to her trailer along with my Laptop PC.
One of the things we experienced as kids was the death of our mother. I was 9 at the time and she was almost 6. (I've related that story in the thread of "what got you started") Sat down at the table and said nothing, which means "I really want to say something but just don't know how to begin" I kinda hinted around a bit about some "things" I was doing and mentioned a phrase from AA that goes, "Behind every skirt there is a slip" (Those who are a friend of Bill W. know this one. It takes too long to explain it for the rest of you). While I was hemming and hawing trying to say what I wanted to say I was opening up the folder where I had stored my pictures from Saturday. After I mentioned the comment about "the slip" I turned the laptop so she could see my photograph. At that point I said "I wasn't wearing a slip in this picture."
She looked at it for almost a minute in complete silence. I just knew my world had ended right there.
"Is that you?" she said.
"Yes it is"
"You look lovely" was her comment, then she started to cry, (That girl can cry at the drop of a hat).
Oh no I figured she's gone over the edge. She looked at me and said, "You look so much like Mother it's scary" I had to admit she was right.
We must have talked for an hour about my dressing and everything. GAWD!!! it felt so good to be able to speak to another human about this. Not that I haven't said some things to different shop keepers where I buy my clothes, but they're not family. This time it was different and so liberating. I can begin to understand what everybody talks about when they have "The Talk".
Funny side note to this. She has some rather long acrylic fingernails. Last night she bought some pink polish to put on them, and had taken off the old stuff, but just hadn't gotten around to putting on the new yet. I volunteered to "do her nails" for her. Did a nice job if I do say so myself. While doing them we got into some more "personal family things" and it was so nice to be able to share these things with each other. It wasn't like brother and sister or even sister and sister but a much more personal level of two people sharing feelings and desires on a very intimate and private level. (Does anybody know how hard it is to do nails on another person while they're crying? Put down the brush grab the tissue and wipe their eyes, because if they wipe they're gonna screwup your work) Little personal tidbits like that are what make a relationship so very special.
No judgements at all from her. She actually said that she was glad that I'm doing something for myself that I enjoy. Also made the comment that I have nice looking legs. This from my sister who at one time wouldn't have P'd on me if I was dying of thirst. Just being able to open up like I did was so great. I told her about my "under dressing" each day. We got into a discussion about the merits of thigh highs vs. stockings with garter belts.
Even went so far as to sorta make a plan to "go shopping" someday, with me dressed.

All in all it was a memorable memorial weekend. One that shall not soon forget.

In case anybody is interested in where I had my makeover, (as seen in the photo section under "I really did it") PM me and I'll give you the particulars of who to call and where she is located.

SherriePall
05-28-2006, 08:15 PM
Phyliss -- I'm so happy to read about you and your sister sharing. I was very close to tears reading parts of it. Good thing I didn't have my mascara on.
There are now some of us who are envious of the fact that you have shared with your sister what for many of us is the "Big Secret." I wish the two of you the best.

Bernice
05-28-2006, 11:01 PM
I knew I really missed out on something special in life, never having a sister.

DeniseNY
05-28-2006, 11:07 PM
That story was really touching to me because I am not close to my sisters, and the fact that you connected on a person-to-person level was probably the nicest thing about that story.

I just have one question: Who the heck is Bill W?

Phyliss
05-29-2006, 05:18 AM
After I "grew up" and moved out on my own by joining the USN, I didn't see much of her for many years. When I did see her and we did speak, it was more of a simple "being civil to each other" kinda thing. Only over the last four years have we become closer. Yesterday was so special to me.

After my "revelation" she shared some quite personal "things from her life" with me. Some things I had never suspected. And I thought I had a terrible secret. Believe me I was "floored" when I heard what I heard. ( I ain't gonna tell ) I'll just say that I have a new found respect for her.

So....we have gone from this,...:kickbutt: to this,...:hugs:

Lilith Moon
05-29-2006, 05:55 AM
Phyliss,

You description of the Talk with your sister was excellent...I felt as if I was there as I read it... I'm glad it has brought the two of you closer together.

Tina Dixon
05-29-2006, 06:37 AM
Well good for you, you knocked the closet door down and gained a dressing buddy I bet.