PDA

View Full Version : femme voice

kimmigir1
05-29-2006, 12:47 AM
im sure its a staple in passing but is there a trick in developing a femme voice , i mean i have a somewhat deep voice , and im wondering how to develop a lighter voice , any of you ladies have any advice on how to pass with a femme voice , i mean what do you gals do when your in public ?

bredalee25
05-29-2006, 12:59 AM
I don't talk if i can help it. but if i need to i just put my best fem voice out and hope for the best. You need to consult a speech therapist hun they can help you more than i can.

ttfn

Connieminiskirts
05-29-2006, 01:09 AM
I can actually change my voice! Blows my grandkids away!!! And most others especially if they know me as 'Bill' Even surprizes my wife sometimes as I have this "unconscience habit" of talking as Connie in the clothing dept at wallyworld, or stores in the mall when I see some outfit that just looks soo good! She actually turns red sometimes it embarrasses her so much But I just keep on as I was. I dont get embarrassed. at least so rarely that its seems like I dont.

kimmigir1
05-29-2006, 01:35 AM
i know what you mean about talking sub-conciously i mean im scottish but born in the states , and the only on in my family that can do the accent flawlessly(and it comes out when im mad lol), but can do hundreds of almost perfect voice inpersonations , but never tried a female one so im sure once i get it down it will be a snap , but yeah i just needed some "stater" help

EricaCD
05-29-2006, 04:09 AM
There are plenty of online resources for affecting a fem voice. I have been using the Melanie Phillips system. Just google her name and you'll get the links. It's more than just altering pitch, but if you are able to do voice impressions you will probably have a relatively straightforward time developing a sufficiently passable voice. (I'm having a dreadful time of it....)

Good luck!
Erica

Felicia
05-29-2006, 04:44 AM
Some years ago I purchase a VCR tape called "Melonie speaks". It is full of not only how to speak in a fem voice, but also, what to say as a fem as opposed to the way men say it. (HUG) Felicia

GypsyKaren
05-29-2006, 05:00 AM
I tried the femme voice thing, but gave it up because I sounded to fake, and people couldn't understand what I was saying. I just talk natural now and I've never had any problems with it. I know there are tapes and such that supposedly teach you how to do it, and I'm sure it works for some of us, but most people I've heard trying to talk femme really sound ridiculous to me and probably everybody else too.

Karen

Deidra Cowen
05-29-2006, 07:47 AM
I've have attempted it with no luck, even used some of those websites and practised using a recorder. Just can't get it to work. :Angry3:

Lady Jayne
05-29-2006, 08:35 AM
Hi Kimmi,
I found this site a while ago quite by accident, hope you find it usefull. http://heartcorps.com/journeys/voice.htm
:happy:

Siobhan Marie
05-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Hi Kimmi,
I found this site a while ago quite by accident, hope you find it usefull. http://heartcorps.com/journeys/voice.htm
:happy:

Thanks Lady Jayne,
Have just looked at it and it looks useful

:hugs: Anna x

Ms. Donna
05-29-2006, 04:13 PM
Another is Finding Your Female Voice (http://www.deepstealth.com/store/ts_voice.htm)

Good Luck!

Love & Stuff,
Donna

sportschick
05-29-2006, 09:31 PM
Even though I haven't dressed in over a year and still don't feel like it, I did learn a pretty good femme voice from the "Finding your Female Voice" site a couple of years ago. If I can do it, anyone can, I have a deep voice. I also sing in a band, and I found that working on the femme voice actually helped the singing, and increased my upper end range, an unexpected bonus that gave me the motivation to keep at it..use the femme voice on the phone occasionally for fun and get away with it.
There's a site called http://singsmart.com ..in the section called "free singing stuff", under "should I sing this in head voice or chest voice", it talks about using the whole airway including up into the nasal cavities..when working on this I found the spot the femme voice comes from..it helps if you're a singer, otherwise I wouldn't have kept at it..interesting challenge

Wenda
05-29-2006, 09:51 PM
All of us have several 'voices', but tend to use only one or two, just from habit. I was at a customer service seminar a few months ago, sitting with a much younger co-worker, a large, hockey-playing security guy, who was not afraid of a little pain. When I shifted into wenda's voice to make a point, it really startled him!
Wenda's voice is just softer, is enunciated more clearly and comes from the top of the throat, with a slightly British accent. My other femme voice, Polly, Polly Darton, has an even higher voice, with the top of my thoat quite tight, with a (surprise) somewhat southern accent. Other threads have noted how shifting accent as well as pitch has produced results, note Mrs Doubtfire, Tootsie. You can't 'force' it, or it sounds like a cartoon character. ("Although Mel Blanc had how many voices? from Bugs Bunny to Yosemite Sam?). As the others have said, singing helps. It exercises your vocal chords, and helps you stretch to the new region that you need to be comfy in. Have fun.

Melissa Ryan
05-30-2006, 04:21 AM
Some years ago I purchase a VCR tape called "Melonie speaks". It is full of not only how to speak in a fem voice, but also, what to say as a fem as opposed to the way men say it. (HUG) Felicia
Did it work?

Felicia
05-30-2006, 04:38 AM
Did it work?
Yes it works well and so does the exercise of singing in a fem voice. (HUG) Felicia

Melissa Ryan
05-30-2006, 07:02 AM
Have you got a spare copy?! Charlene said I burst her bubble hearin me! :D

MarinaTwelve200
05-30-2006, 05:26 PM
Basically, what the lessons tell you you do is affect a falsetto===like you are imitating "Julia Child" "Heat and eat--bon appitit" ---or "The Wicked Witch of the West" "Ill get you my pretty --and your little dog too"

Then LOWER the pitch of that falsetto as far as it will go---Something then "clicks" or switches over in your throat, and you will find yourself talking with female harmonics.----Of course there is more to a passable female voice--like word choice and rythim, but this is the basic method,

ALSO there is a warning that you can get STUCK in that voice mode for an hour or two the first time you try it---The author of the article got stuck to his embarasment and had a funny incident with his wife.---A friend of mine I told about this also got stuck for 30 minutes ot so the first time HE tried it---but he sounded like "minnie mouse" rather than a woman.

I have not succeeded in doing it yet--I havent practed enough and I am also concerned about getting stuck----:D

susiej
05-30-2006, 07:03 PM
Don't also forget that girls and guys use different expressions, even different vocalized (ahh, um, like) pauses. What you're really doing is what actors do when they take on a new character -- you have to do everything the character would do, and none of the things you would do.

Of course, actors have it easy compared to us -- their lines are written out for them by experts!

Use a recorder, either a tape, or a program on your computer. Practice.

And, just as in your physical appearance, you'll be more believable if you don't go for an extreme in your voice. You don't have to drip sensuality, or sound baby-doll or ultra-fem. Just be yourself -- your girl self.

Hugs,
Susie