PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's CSI is About US!!

genevieve_ohara
11-18-2004, 09:56 PM
Check it out...CSI is about Transgendered people tonight!

West Coast Girls: Check it out!!!

So far, it seems incredibly true, informative and sensitive....

But I'm still watching it!

Love

G

clarissa3d
11-18-2004, 10:05 PM
wow, lots of twist and turns... I didnt like that they portrade the girls as prostitutes.

I do like the CSI series..

StephanieCD
11-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Has there ever been a portrayal that you can think of about heterosexual crossdressers in pop culture television? Other than bugs bunny's underwear ;) Really though, most cartoons make crossdressing references at one point or another - has there been a positive portrayal of CDs (not necessarily TSs?) on television?

It was yucky how they made the TSs out to be *****-ish. Although, they weren't too too bad... some good points made, I guess.

DonnaT
11-19-2004, 12:21 AM
There was Drew Cary's brother.

I thought CSI tonight was pretty well done, and his explanation about the pearl at the end was nice.

Sharon
11-19-2004, 12:24 AM
I hope they rerun it soon because I had to leave the house unexpectantly tonight. Dang -- I should have remembered to tape it. :mad:

Sweet Susan
11-19-2004, 01:07 AM
I thought it was pretty stupid and outlandish.

genevieve_ohara
11-19-2004, 08:31 AM
Well, accepting of course, that everything on TV is stupid and outlandish....I thought it was really good.

They explained the process really well of going from man to woman...the operations, the hair removal, the hormones, the after-surgery issues....even the feelings in childhood when we knew we were perhaps supposed to be a different sex.

The Plot: (don't read any more if you haven't seen it...) is that a courageous MTF gets murdered for trying to expose a horrible 'chop-shop,' where they do MTF surgery without a license...or sanitation. So, some of the TG's were heroes...some were villains, some were hookers, some were dancers, some were trying to help CSI get to the truth.

Obviously, it's a crime show and so, there was crime. Lots of it!

But, the thing I noticed: they never once made fun of us. Never.

They treated us like real human beings, not freaks...and in the end the star made a short speech about how maybe, if you consider science, and nature, we really were all supposed to be both sexes...and that maybe gender...was a mistake of evolution.

Just a TV, show, yes. But remember two things: the writers treated us very, very well...and CSI is the most highly-watched TV show in the United States.

That's pretty good for us!

Love

G

Wendy me
11-19-2004, 08:42 AM
the show was ok even the comments at the end were real good something abought oysters change their sex (wish i could rember it better)
the part that sucked :eek: "thay killed wendy" :eek: as far as i can see killing WENDY is never a good thing

but over all i thought it was good ;)

genevieve_ohara
11-19-2004, 08:53 AM
OMG that's right...they did you in!

Too funny, honey

G

Wendy me
11-19-2004, 09:02 AM
funny???????????thay broke a nail........da ya see anything funny abought that????????

Georgette
11-19-2004, 09:02 AM
I thought that it really didn't knock us or condone us they more or less accepted us as most of us are, guys wanting to get out of the traditional male rolls of being the macho, gungho male. I think that Grissom made a very good point at the end maybe nature did screw up somewhere along the way.
I don't care what they said I'm still me. I did get a little up set that there is butchers out there that really do what they showed.
HUGS

Paula A
11-19-2004, 11:21 AM
My wife and I watched the show, you all know I haven't told my wife yet about Paula, I need to maybe right after the hollidays, Any way a couple of terms came up that I thought was wrong they had another acronim for SRS, I don't remember what it was but it wasn't SRS. My wife was asking "what was that?" Anyway I corrected it and explained it to her, SRS and FFS adn HRT and MTF. Then I thought maybe I should have played dumb.

The one scene (stop if you haven't seen it yet) with Grissholm in the bar where they clearified the mis-normer and said something like that it is not a thing about sex (the act) but a thing about sexuality and the line about being young and wondering who's body do I have, like "being in another country without a passport to get back home" I thought was a good analegy I thought that this scene was the best and most acurate of the whole show aside form the last couple of lines regarding the oyster.

One thing really made me think though was how wendy met her future husband at grievance councelling for the loss of her old self. That made me really think, If I was able to change would I be happy with it for the rest of my earthly life.

I also thought about Bobbie on her way to London and her voyage beyond the next two weeks I hope that everything works out ok for her, I said a little prayer to myself.

DonnaT
11-19-2004, 11:27 AM
Damn Paula, we could have been in the same room! My wife asked me also what GRS (gender reassignment surgery) was, and I corrected them too, although both terms are used interchangably.

And Bobbie's trip also came to mind.

Chandra Marie
11-19-2004, 12:38 PM
I didnt like that they portrade the girls as prostitutes.
I really enjoyed it a thought it was very well done. As for the prostitution, in reality alot of TS girls do it to help pay the OUTRAGEOUS price of SRS.

Rachel Elizabeth
11-19-2004, 05:17 PM
:confused:

While it brought certain issues to light, it also seemed to continue to show a more tawdry side of our experience. It did, however, address the perils of taking short cuts.

I don't know if I appreciated the interplay between the two women: "he? she? what?"

Perplexed....

Jocee
11-21-2004, 01:29 PM
What I do admire about the show is the use real life tg people in the scenes, as opposed to what Hollywood generally does, which is use a GG actress to portray the TG character.....

Specifically, in the "support group" scene.... the woman talking up front was Ms. Marci Bowers, who took over Dr. Bibers practice out in Trinidad, CO last year. Yes.... she is a surgeon, and post-op, and apparently quite good.....

Also, in the scene, with a none speaking role, was a very brief shot of Calpernia Adams, who was the inspiration behind A Solder's Girl......

So, while I had problems with the whole "TG as a psycho" theme (that always pops up during sweeps week), at least some effort was made....

For those who are interested.... Calpernia has a website and great blog....

http://www.calpernia.com/weblog.php (http://www.calpernia.com/weblog.php)

She is one very very cool chica.....

Joana

DonnaT
11-21-2004, 03:11 PM
Thanks Jocee. She talks about the CSI episode in the Oct. archives too.

Marlene4a
11-21-2004, 07:39 PM
Your Avatar my dear, gets better and better every time I have the pleasure of viewing it.

love