PDA

View Full Version : Washing tights (pantyhose)

Emma England
05-31-2006, 06:43 AM
Is it possible to put hosiery into the washing machine?

Last time, I did that they got shreded :sad:

I know a lot of women wash them by hand, but I'm lazy.

Would a delicate cycle be enough? Or maybe those net bags are useful?

Lilith Moon
05-31-2006, 06:49 AM
I've done it and it worked.

But really, they are easy enough to wash by hand. Swish them around in a bowl of warm water and some delicates type washing powder. Follow with a rinse. Lay them on a towel for a couple of minutes, then hang them over anything handy with smooth edges, such as a chair back, to dry. Takes about five minutes top for the wash.

LindaTS
05-31-2006, 07:02 AM
I put mine in one of those nylon mesh lingerie bags and toss it in the washing machine with all the other things. I also do my panties and bras the same way. Works for me.

Sharon
05-31-2006, 07:22 AM
Swirl them around in your sink for a minute using a mild soap (Woolite which is popular in the US works great), shake out excess water, hang them up over a towel, and they're ready to wear again in a couple hours. No muss, no fuss, no snags.

Robertacd
05-31-2006, 08:22 AM
I throw mine in the wash all the time along with my bras and panties. I can't recall any of them ever getting damaged.

I even dry them in the drier :eek:

hammer
05-31-2006, 08:45 AM
Try delicate cycle in a lingerie bag.

Joanne_2003
05-31-2006, 12:27 PM
I have always just washed and dried my hosiery in the mesh lingerie bags and never had a problem.

Joanne

mellisa's wife
05-31-2006, 12:33 PM
I always wash my pantyhose out in the bathroom sink using a mild soap.... Woolite - or in a pinch shampoo or hand soap will do. I wrap them in a towel, give them a little squeeze and throw them over a towel rack. They are dry in a matter of a few hours. The more gentle you are ( no wash machine) the longer they will last.

I've been doing them this way for the past few decades! lol

Tina Dixon
05-31-2006, 02:32 PM
My wife puts them in one of those bags, I only got a couple of pair so I wash them in the sink, it's faster.

Helen MC
05-31-2006, 04:02 PM
If you haven't a lingerie bag, put them in a pillowcase, tie it at the end, then put it in the wash. That will protect delicates.

Julie Avery
05-31-2006, 04:05 PM
I put mine in one of those nylon mesh lingerie bags and toss it in the washing machine with all the other things. I also do my panties and bras the same way. Works for me.

That's the ticket, Linda, as I see it (stockings only, my other lingerie goes into the general fund). I have some pantyhose that go back to 2002, and are unblemished. Now I'll grant you, they were ignored for two years, but you can do the arithmetic.

My GG partner just tosses hers in with the wash - but it's not half as stressful for her as for me to buy replacements.

SherriePall
05-31-2006, 05:19 PM
I don't know how my wife does it other than putting them in the washer and then placing them on top of the dryer to dry.

Lindahexi
05-31-2006, 05:37 PM
I always wash mine by hand, usually in the bathroom sink, I use normal soap on them, they only take a couple of minutes, and providing they are rinsed well, they dry feeling as good as ever.