PDA

View Full Version : Caught at work with long nails.

JoAnnDallas
05-31-2006, 09:02 AM
The other day, I had to go back into the area at work, where they assemble subassemblies for our products. As I was talking to one of the ladies, she noticed my nails. She takes my hand, looks at my nails, runs a figure over one of them and asked "Are these acrylic?" I answered "Yes they are". Now the butterflys are starting to fly around my stomach. She then turns to another lady and says to her, "Look how nice his hands and nails are". The other lady looks at my hand and then at me and askes "Why are you wearing acrylic nails, they are for women?". Before I can answer the first lady says "Long acrylic nails are NOT just for women now adays. Men are getting them too. A lot of men are now taking more care of their hands and nails these days". Now one of the guys hears this and comes over and looks at my hand. I'm standing there trying to think of a way to end this as I'm starting to get very uncomfy. He looks at them and remarks, "They do look nice, but I could never do something like that". The first lady then says, "I bet if you did, your girlfriend would love it". He gets this funny look in his eyes and then says "Mabey". I finially speak up and say, "ugh, ladies, lets get back to what I came to ask about, OK". They laugh and said "OK". I concluded my buisness and quickly went back to my desk.
Now I don't mind women making a fuss over me, but it was getting a little uncomfortable. The more I stood there at the center of attention, the more butterflys I got. :redface:

Julia Cross
05-31-2006, 09:06 AM
Wow JoAnn,

Sounds like they're discovery of your nails went extremely well. It goes to show how accepting people can be and actually how much more they are willing to accept then we ever imagined.
Julia

Emily Ann Brown
05-31-2006, 10:50 AM
Bet you're glad your red toenails weren't showing sis !

Emily Ann

LongNails
05-31-2006, 10:54 AM
I know it probably was uneasy when you were discovered....but wasn't it a GREAT feeling also. I wear my french manicured nails almost evry day and I love all the comments I get on my nails, many have been just like you said that some women will actually say that they are not just for women any more and actaully defend my nails.

Take care...

KathlyLC
05-31-2006, 11:37 AM
There is a bunch of the acrylic nail stores in this area (pretty much the same in all areas anymore) and its certainlky not unc9ommn to see a lot of males in there getting their nails done. The VP at the bank we deal with wears acrylic nails as does one of his other male cashiers.........Its not as uncommon as you may think.

JoAnnDallas
05-31-2006, 11:57 AM
I have had acrylic nails since late last year. Up till then, I had such bad nails, that the looked horrible. They would crack, split, peel, and had these ridges that ran the length of the nail. I convinced my wife that I really needed to do something about them. So the next time I was at my nail salon to get a manicure, I asked Tina about what I could do. She looked at them and suggested that I get acrylics. She said it would cure all my problems and it did. Since late last year, I have not had a bad nail since.

Emily....yea, they would freak if they saw my BRIGHT RED toe nails. Then too, they might not. LOL

I have not had one bad comment about my nails. I was a little worried when I first got them about bad comments, especially from men. They have been as long as 1/2" beyond my figure tips and NO ONE has said anything bad or derogatory about them. Guess it like when men started using hair salons. All of a sudden it was not tabo and ONLY for women. Guess the same for nail salons now. LOL

unclejoann
05-31-2006, 04:00 PM
I once read a comment by some man in the 1940's who was talking about how the times were changing, "but" he said "at least men don't wear deodorant."

Talon DeRojo
05-31-2006, 04:32 PM
JoAnn - How cool! Women coming to the defense of your acrylic nails. Have you posted a close-up picture of them?
Talon:)

JoAnnDallas
05-31-2006, 04:37 PM
I did sometime ago. I'll take a new pic and post it.

janedoe311
05-31-2006, 04:42 PM
I would say I bite my nails and the fake ones stop me!

Julie York
05-31-2006, 04:47 PM
And as you wandered just out of earshot....they turned to each other and smiled knowingly.....

"You do know he's a duck don't you?"

(You get it or you don't. Sorry newbies.):D

jennig
05-31-2006, 05:56 PM
hi just read you post it made me smile I have kept my acrilic nails for about two years a first i would get the done and remove them befor work on monday well that got old I just love having long nice nails it took me a cople of months to just stop thinking about how different it was I would always try and hide my nails I even would put gloves on, like you said times have changed and if you want long polished nails go for it yes you will get some commints but who cares I now tel people that say something about my nails thats how I like them and theay just drop it
hugs jennig0.02

JoannaDees
05-31-2006, 06:44 PM
Ahhh. I had acrylic nails for several months, I loved them. But it was so costly to go every two weeks for fills. I was also a sucker for the girls, and paid and tipped way too much. I never did get any untowards comments about them though, at least not from anybody I cared about. I'm getting nail wishy now .... hmmmmmmm. My nails are weak, they split, they are soft. Of course, that's another reason for the quitting, it seemed that the acrylics made my weak, thin nails get even worse. Well, at least I can type again.

Wenda
05-31-2006, 07:21 PM
I have a similar but somewhat different situation. As I posted a few weeks ago, when I went to a salon for a chest waxing. After the waxing, I lamented on my inability to keep more than 7 nails at any one time, usually with one broken right down to the quick. They sold me a little dropper bottle of Gerlan Nailcare. I put a drop on each nail once a day. I have not had a nail break since it started using the Gerlan. The only nail which is slow is my left index, which I crushed when I was young. I have started to get comments, so, I think it is time to trim, but, this is such an achievement for me, I hate to shorten any nails. I am realistic though, and know that, if they get too long, they will be more vulnerable, and break when I do any heavy work. Right now, I am typing with my nails! too cool! I think I will go nd paint them for overnight.... yummy. :) :) :)

avawho
05-31-2006, 07:22 PM
My excuse is always that I'm trying to stop chewing them off... the other one is that I'm too darn lazy to bother cutting them...

Cheers
Ava

Jodi
05-31-2006, 07:31 PM
I keep my nails a little longer (natural nails) and have clear enamel on them at all times. I have learned that if I want to do this, I had better be ready for any and all comments, both good and bad. I believe that JoannDallas learned this. I'm surprised that it took this long for a comment from someone. When a comment is made, especially by women, it is generally a positive one on how nice my nails look. If men have an opinion, they usually don't say anything. I have had a lifelong history of splitting nails and peeling, bleeding cuticles. About two years ago, my stylist recommended the manicure, and then my nail tech recommended the enamel 24/7. My nails and cuticles are the best and healthiest now than they have been in my life. If someone asks, that is what I tell people.

Jodi

ashlee chiffon
05-31-2006, 07:42 PM
wondering what length the acrylics are that guys wear? just wondering if there is a fine line of acceptance from GG's that depends on length of nail...short acrylics and slightly longer and fem long? Can a guy pull it off *wear acrylics* and not be judged as gay or fem? i get by with a manicure and clear polish and very seldom do i get a comment and its usually a compliment on "nice manicure" from a GG...
but never worn acrylics...
also, what's a preferable look...square or rounded or oval tips?
now the big question....is a french manicure on a guy in drab attractive or too fem looking? thinking of getting one, but don't want to be tooo obvious in my day to day life!

CandaceLace
05-31-2006, 07:46 PM
I've been caught by a brother at work not with acrylic but my regular nails I have let them grow for a littel time before he noticed them they were not too long but long enough to notice I had not clipped them. However, I had kept them files so they weren't sharp enough to cut me. I told him i had lost my nail clippers and kept forgetting to buy a new pair at the store. I still allow my nails to grow but when others at work ask me thye laugh because I tell them that it irritates my brother knowing they are long and they love it. in saying that they also don't care too much for my brother and one of the men has done the same.
currently my onle growth trouble is my toenails I cannot seem to keep them from being dried out and brittle. also they remail extremely short. any ideas ?
Candace

JamieTG
06-01-2006, 12:10 AM
Hi JoAnn. People make a fuss about my nails all the time. I've had numerous women compliment me and ask me my secret for growing them so long without breaking. I really enjoy the attention I get because of this. One time I was buying some perfume at a cosmetics counter. The girl was so amazed that she called over three other ladies from their counter to come over and see them. I was standing there with 4 cosmetics ladies talking about nails. It was wonderful!!
Jamie

JoAnnDallas
06-01-2006, 08:32 AM
Julie York.... Your so bad. LOL

melissa michaels
06-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Great Nails Jamie! My Nails Never Grow That Straight.they Want To Curl Down When They Get At A Length I Like.and My Job Is Hard On Them.but I Still Like To Keep Them At A Long Length,and Very Often Wear Clear Polish.i Also Keep My Toes Painted In The Winter Time.lllllllove It!!!

Jodi
06-01-2006, 08:37 PM
CandaceLace, I think it is time for you to start getting a professional pedicure.

Jodi

joanlynn28
06-01-2006, 11:40 PM
Gosh I am jealous over those pictures of the nails. I wore my acylics to work before and like everyone else the GG's noticed and even my fellow male coworkers. I have tried to grow my nails long naturally but they always end up breaking right when they are starting to get to the length that I prefer them to be. The problem is I work as an engine mechanic and I am hard on my nails because of my occupation. When my nails do get long it tends to be when I don't have as much work to do, then I know that I have been not working hard enough. I have tried Sally Hansen Hard as Nails but my nails still tend to chip and break. Any suggestions on what to do? I'll ask my therapist the next time I see her, she did have a suggestion on what products I could use to help my nails.

Bernice
06-02-2006, 12:16 AM
JoAnn, your story reminds me of something I did 26 years ago. I didn't have any nail polish, but I did have a red magic marker. I was on a business trip with time to kill. You guessed it, the marker was permanent. Isopropyl alcohol did not really remove it. I didn't have any acetone. I don't remember now how I managed to get through the next day and a half without too many comments.

It's so much harder to learn when we aren't supposed to find out how.

JoAnnDallas
06-02-2006, 08:21 AM
One day sometime ago, I was at the bank and the teller commented on my nails. I thanked her and another customer overheard and looked at my nails. Then she turned to her husband and said "She some men DO take care of their nails". Boy did I get dagger looks from the husband. LOL

Elizabeth Anne
06-03-2006, 10:41 PM
First off, try gel instead of acrylic. I have had both & I perfer gel. If you don't want the shine from the gel, have them buffed down a little to make them a matte finish.
Any overlay will help your nails from turning under all though that is the natural thing for them to do when they get to a certain length.
I am an auto technician & I use Mechnics Wear gloves. I have never broke a nail working on vehicles every day since & got overlays & started wearing gloves.

Hugs,

Beth