PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever flown en femme?

Chrissycd
05-31-2006, 10:28 AM
I am planning a trip in June and I am planning on going en femme 24/7. That includes the airports, checking into hotels, eating out, etc., etc. Have any of you girls flown en femme? What was your experience? Are there things I should prepare for in case some moron decides I'm a security risk or some stupid thing like that? Please share if you've flown within the U.S.
Thanks girls,
Chrissy

KathyT
05-31-2006, 10:39 AM
Well remember your ticket and your picture ID must match...
and I have heard about some underwire bras and metal garters, if you wear them can cause Metal detectors to go off

Tracy_Victoria
05-31-2006, 10:43 AM
It clearly must happen, to quote a very sad case, on reading the Ghost of flight 401, many years agoone of the passengers was found to be a crossdresser (yep it strange the references we remember!)

it was be easier to do in the states where passengers just booked a ticket, but 9/11 may have changed all of that. however saying that, a TS in transistion (ie living as a woman but not had surgery) must have needs like this, and travel from state to state.

I suppose the only think is to contact the airline you intend to fly with, and ask. sadly I can't find the reference now, it was on a UK site, but sadly one girl had an incident with an airline, if i find it I will post the link for you.

Sally2
05-31-2006, 10:48 AM
The problem regards to flying enfemme revolves around photo identification. You have to present photo ID for boarding at least. Does your Photo ID show you in your male mode? I personally wouldn't fly dressed en femme. Would airport security deem you a risk? Possibly, and thus subject you to stringent search and screening checks. It would be nice to hear from those who have flown while dressed and give you the benefit of their experience. Sally2

Song,

"All I want is a Room Somewhere, Somewhere to wear ladies underwear! New shoes, a Wig, a Dress! Oh wouldn't it be lovely."

Isn't this the song from "My Fairy Lady? Sally2

Deborah_UK
05-31-2006, 11:03 AM
A friend of mine was humiliated by United Airlines a few years ago on her way from the USA to the UK, an account of which can be read here

http://trans.sister.org/Sarah/Ronnie.html

btmgrl6
05-31-2006, 11:24 AM
I worked for a major AAirline In Los Angeles. We had many tg people flying betwee L.A. and San Francisco. The Airline's policy was.... hands off. We don't discriminate.
In regards to the TSA....you may be given a lot closer scrutiny than a regular passenger, up to and including a pretty good hand search.Now if your id says you are male you'll be searched by a male...He'll feel you up pretty good too. lol
As far as your photo id. It's the picture that they really look at, not your clothes.If your id says you are John Smith and you are not trying to say that you are Mary Smith.....you are not tring to hide anything. As long as what you are wearing is within acceptable dress code for the airline... they don't care. Consider this.... you are a gg.. you go to the airport dressed in jeans, a tee shirt ,tennis shoes and no make up. Your id picture shows you in full make up.
When the agent looks at the picture and then at you... he/she can still tell that it's you...make-up or not
I don't know about your state, but here in Ca...it is against the law to hide your identity. it's not enforced , none of our politicos,want the A.C.L.U. or any of our gay rights groups protesting in front of thier offices.
We stand up for our rights here, even if we don't agree with the cause...if we see it as a civil rights violation... we speak up.
So I'd say depending on where you live... you shouldn't have a problem, if you can deal with a bit of a hassle .....
And calling ahead of time might be a good idea in regards to airline policy.
tsa will still be your main concern.

hope this helps

Steph

Melanie R
05-31-2006, 11:35 AM
I have traveled internationally as Melanie many times over the past 10 years and have never experienced a problem with airline or security persons but have had the opprotunity of educating many. I also knew many other CD's who have traveled enfemme and have never experienced a problem.

Hugs,

Melanie

Tracy_Victoria
05-31-2006, 11:59 AM
A friend of mine was humiliated by United Airlines a few years ago on her way from the USA to the UK, an account of which can be read here

http://trans.sister.org/Sarah/Ronnie.html

Thanks

Different Website, I think, (well it seems different) but it the same story I couldn't find!

Save me looking for it!

bobbie anne
05-31-2006, 12:13 PM
Hi. I fly quite often and I would wait until you got to your destination before going female. With picture I.D. it could lead to some embarresment. I always have my undies and things in carry on and has not been an issue. Bobbie Anne

JoAnnDallas
05-31-2006, 12:22 PM
Since that was in 2000, does anyone know what the outcome was??

HaleyPink2000
05-31-2006, 12:36 PM
Wear a Garter belt that has plastic clips. LOL:):D

Chrissycd
05-31-2006, 02:37 PM
I am TS but my male picture ID and my appearance en femme are not much different. Since I'm not trying to pretend to be someone else, I don't think there would be a problem. If there are any, I would think that being polite and calm about it is all that's necessary. It's a little bit of an odd spot to be in being preop mtf, but I just don't feel it's right to go any other way than I am planning, even if there is a glitch or two. To be honest, the only real concern I have is my layover in Salt Lake City where I assume people are more conservative. And then there's the lady's room issue which will be with me for the whole trip.
Thank you girls for your insights, especially from you who've been there and done that, and know the ropes.
Does anyone else have any insight on this?
Chrissy

melissacd
05-31-2006, 02:56 PM
Lacey Leigh's book on the successful cross dresser has a great section on travelling by plane with lots of good advice.

Julie Avery
05-31-2006, 03:48 PM
I believe that the one true answer to this question is, "Sally Fields".

Nevertheless, I have never flown on an airplane in anything other than men's clothes (I think men's clothes go better than the girly stuff with the white knuckles, vodka, and tonic that are required to get any vehicle airborne that's got me inside it). Too bad I never crossed paths with Erica Jong, but let us not linger over regrets.

LeannL
05-31-2006, 06:16 PM
I would just like to add that a number of states have passed laws that make it illegal to discriminate based upon gender presentation. I don't know if the TSA folks are aware of it but it should apply.

I know that I had a bit of a similar situation when I went to Chicago for a day. I decided to go to the top of the Sears Tower and the metal detectors went off when I went through. Had to be hand scanned. I didn't talk much as they scanned me. Then they let me go.

stacie
06-01-2006, 08:06 AM
A good friend of mine travels to, Las Vegas every year dressed en-fem she really never haves any problems other then some weird looks and a funny smile at times. What she did to get around the picture id was she went to the Licence branch and got a state id of her dressed en fem. Since you can not have more then one drivers licence an state id is the only thing you can get and it is a legal document.

Butterfly Bill
06-01-2006, 09:42 AM
To be honest, the only real concern I have is my layover in Salt Lake City where I assume people are more conservative.

In 2003 I spent three days and two nights at the Motel 6 near downtown SLC wearing a floral print rayon dress, and visited Temple Square and the Deseret Press bookstore. It's a big city that is amazingly cosmopolitan.

julie w
06-01-2006, 12:03 PM
I fly a lot and often wonder how I would handle the nerves If I were in femme
I think If you are used to going everywhere enfemme and are very confident
then go for it ,I have seen a tg before going though security she had
no problems , I would not try it on international flights

HaleyPink2000
06-01-2006, 12:14 PM
I am TS but my male picture ID and my appearance en femme are not much different. Since I'm not trying to pretend to be someone else, I don't think there would be a problem. If there are any, I would think that being polite and calm about it is all that's necessary. It's a little bit of an odd spot to be in being preop mtf, but I just don't feel it's right to go any other way than I am planning, even if there is a glitch or two. To be honest, the only real concern I have is my layover in Salt Lake City where I assume people are more conservative. And then there's the lady's room issue which will be with me for the whole trip.
Thank you girls for your insights, especially from you who've been there and done that, and know the ropes.
Does anyone else have any insight on this?
Chrissy

Lady's room, remember don't stand up when you go pee pee. LOLOL:)

jeniinnylons
06-14-2006, 08:43 PM
I just recently got a job with TSA.

You ID does not have to match what you look like.

Also is you need additional screening you are screened by the gender you appear as.

So if your dressed as a lady you will be checked as a lady.

Lisa Renee
06-14-2006, 11:57 PM
You know what is really wierd about this? I had planned on asking the same question. I have a friend in North Carolina and I was thinking about flying out to see her and her new baby sometime later this summer and wanted to spend the entire time enfemme, which would entail flying out there, from Salt Lake City. Doesn't anyone think there are CD's in Salt Lake City?

julie w
06-15-2006, 01:10 AM
I flew last week on a canadian domestic flight,I got my boarding pass from a machine went through
security they only check you have a boarding pass not you Id ,I showed
my drivers licence when boarding to the airline employee ,as far as my
experience gos security are only interested in what you are taking on the
plane not who you are .I havnt flown in the us since november but I think its
the same ?

jeniinnylons
06-16-2006, 09:42 PM
Just a note don't wear a underwire bra, it might/will set off the Wlak thru metal det. and will for sure set off the hand held.

PS: the airlines now have a computer that selects people for selective screening (addition screening) if it has a SSSS in the left corner be prepared for the works.

Dee 1062
06-16-2006, 09:47 PM
I am planning a trip in June and I am planning on going en femme 24/7. That includes the airports, checking into hotels, eating out, etc., etc. Have any of you girls flown en femme? What was your experience? Are there things I should prepare for in case some moron decides I'm a security risk or some stupid thing like that? Please share if you've flown within the U.S.
Thanks girls,
Chrissyyou may be asking for alot of problems and even trouble.....If you have alot of time and money then go for it....I would call the airlines first and talk with them...then you'll know first hand......:rolleyes:

Nastasha
06-17-2006, 10:44 PM
I just flew today. I did not dress enfemme, but all of my clothes in the bag were womens.
When they pulled my bag to check it .. it led to some questions .. but, it was kind of fun as well. The look on the ladies face when she opened up my bag and found panties n bras, and then when she asked if I was sure this was my bag ..... PRICELESS. :D

Clare
06-18-2006, 04:28 AM
Not as yet, although I would like to do so in the future.

I would imagine if you have been given a Doctor's certificate which idicates you are transitioning, there is nothing any organisation can do about your dressing fulltime and using their services.

Be confident girl and enjoy your trip.

I am planning a trip in June and I am planning on going en femme 24/7. That includes the airports, checking into hotels, eating out, etc., etc. Are there things I should prepare for in case some moron decides I'm a security risk or some stupid thing like that?

Chrissycd
06-30-2006, 11:15 PM
Now that I'm back from my trip, I can give my own perspective on flying en femme. It's only one experience, but I think it's a valid one.
To recap, initially, I was dead set on flying en femme b/c I just started going full time and began HRT (My handle hasn't been accurate for a few years now, btw.)
Well, I had enough people try to scare the crap out of me that I reconsidered. I know everyone was just being protective of me and I do appreciate that, but in hindsight, there was NOTHING to worry about.
What I finally decided to do was to go androgynous. So, I wore women's clothing, but nothing ridiculous or provocative. I didn't wear makeup or my boobs either. I wore orange terry shorts, a simple, white top, cute sandals, and I wore my hair in a pony w/ a matching scrunchy.
I'm not trying to be a smartaleck or trying to brag, but, my hair is long, and just wearing cute shorts and a simple top is enough to convince most people that I'm a woman, so that's the way I was received even though I wasn't even trying (outwardly). I DID speak as I do en femme, and behave in that manner, too, though.
NOBODY in ANY airport (Minneapolis, Salt Lake, or Phoenix) even raised an eyebrow. While en route, I was called Miss and Ma'am by both passengers and flight attendants. During my layover in Salt Lake, I am NOT making this up, I entered the men's restroom and was told by one man who was exiting that "THIS IS THE MEN'S". And then, having ignored him and continued on my way in, I was stared down by so many eyes that I actually put my hand up to my face and turned quickly to get out. The testosterone was like super charged in there, and I was NOT welcome.
So, I had to pee. So, I went in the women's. And that is where I went everywhere I went for the whole remainder of the trip.
I know this is long, and I apologize, but there's one other thing I MUST share.
With a few days remaining on my trip, I visited the Grand Canyon. Afterwards, I was so drained of energy that I ordered a pizza when I got back to my motel. That damn pizza put me in the hospital about 14 hours later b/c it made me so sick that I was losing fluids everywhere you can imagine.
SO, again, b/c I was sick, I didn't have any makeup on or a bra, and the emt's actually used conflicting pronouns to talk about me with the nurse at the hospital. So, the nurse finally looked at me and said, "Honey, will you tell me who's right, here?" So, I told her I'm TS and she heaved a sigh of relief and said, "thank you for clearing that up."
So, what did I learn? I learned that I'm damn lucky b/c I pass often even when I'm not trying, which was a huge confidence booster. Also, I learned that if you are just yourself, and you don't dress like a *****, people respect you. Finally, I learned that people deserve alot more credit than I ever imagined that they deserved.
Thanks for staying w/ me till the end here, girls.
Be smart, but give people a little credit out there. At least in the 3 cities I mentioned, my experience was stellar.
Hugs,
Chrissy