PDA

View Full Version : Hair removal options ?

CobraJett
05-31-2006, 02:09 PM
I'm pretty sure this is an old topic revised many times... So bear with me, I'm still new ...lol

Anyways there are a few areas that I keep free of hair, mainly speaking of belly, back, and ...ummmm intimate area... I am by no means Chewbacca, but it seems like as I grow older I am getting hair where I really don't want it...(i.e. my butt!!) I tried shaving this area as I do with everything else, but a day or two after shaving it gets very sensitive and even may get a rash...I don't really sit on my butt all day so I was wondering if this is common?

Okey, well my point I was trying to make...is there a better alternative as opposed to shaving? I tried nair once, but I don;t know if I used it properly...and how long does it stay gone? Is there some other home remedy to hair removal? Since I am single now I have to opportunity to try new things since I don't have to explain to a significant other why there is all of a sudden no hair on the intimate areas...Ya know what I mean?

Thanks! Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

CJ

Marla S
05-31-2006, 02:21 PM
Well, you could try an epilator (hurts a bit, though).

CobraJett
05-31-2006, 02:44 PM
Well, you could try an epilator (hurts a bit, though).

What is an epilator actually? Pain is a moot point...I would rather it hurt for a bit, than to have it itch and be irritating for days ...lol

CJ

Marla S
05-31-2006, 02:58 PM
An Epilator (http://www.epilator-review.com/philips_epilator.htm) is a razor with rotating tweezers instead of blades. Hairs are plucked out instead of cut.

It needs several days until they regrow and the regrowing hairs are smoother because they have thinner tips.
Skin will be irritated as well first but according to my experience less then after shaving.

To prevent growing in of hairs I'd suggest to rub your skin with a piece of luffa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luffa) while under the shower.

CobraJett
05-31-2006, 03:03 PM
An Epilator (http://www.epilator-review.com/philips_epilator.htm) is a razor with rotating tweezers instead of blades. Hairs are plucked out instead of cut.

It needs several days until they regrow and the regrowing hairs are smoother because they have thinner tips.
Skin will be irritated as well first but according to my experience less then after shaving.

To prevent growing in of hairs I'd suggest to rub your skin with a piece of luffa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luffa) while under the shower.

Thank you so much Marla! Is there a certain brand of epilator that you would recommend? About how much do they cost? And can you use them for intimate areas as well? Jeez, I have so many questions!

Thanks!

CJ

Marla S
05-31-2006, 03:20 PM
Is there a certain brand of epilator that you would recommend?
I think Braun and Phillips are good.

About how much do they cost?
About 80 Euros

And can you use them for intimate areas as well?
Of course you can, but it depends how pain sensitive you are ;)

Katrina
05-31-2006, 03:28 PM
I've done laser on my bum. Its expensive, but seems to be reducing the hairs. They are at finer, lighter, and fewer in number after 4 sessions.

kathy gg
05-31-2006, 03:50 PM
hoorah for epilator...
Just wanted to throw in a very positive thumbs up for epilators. My hubby used to be quiet hairy, chest/legts/arms. Well now he has been using an epilator for I suppose at least 10 years. Anyway, sicne it is almsot like tweezing, except you are repeatably pulling the hairs out from the root over time the hairs will grow back almsot softer {unlike in regular shaving} and eventually not regrow. And I have seen the pics of my hubby before he used it and wow! he had alot of hair! Now his hair is fine and soft and almsot barren on areas on his legs and the chest. It is like it was never there to start. I think I can count the chest hairs when they regrow.

He sold me on it and I have used it, but not exclusively like he has , as sometimes I jsut don't have the time. To get both my legs done with percision it takes about 20 mins. Not including drinking time! haha!

yes it is painful to me, I have a very low pain threshold, and I usually need at least two glasses of wine or a couple of martinis before ripping! I have only used it on my legs and underarms {you want to talk about pain!!} And when I am vigilent and dont' go back to shaving I can really tell a difference in how the hair regrows. I also believe now that I am using it way more on my legs, in some spots I have seen no hair regrowth.

We use the SILK EPIL and we just bought a new one to replace the old one. The new style has a desensatizer which I find preps the leg for the hair to be ripped.

I have started recomending it to people now that we use the new one. The old one I found did not rip hard enough and I got alot of hairs which broke off rather than got yanked by teh root completely.
anyway....best $70 {candian} for the money.

CobraJett
05-31-2006, 04:15 PM
Okey...if its a bit on the painful side when its in use....how does it feel afterwards ? Any irritation or rash as in shaving? I'm going to try to pick one up next weekend :P

CJ

pedebra
05-31-2006, 04:56 PM
I use an epilator each week. The pain is mild and I experience more ingrown hairs than when I shave. But I find that I only have to shave about 1/4 as much as I used to.
Debra

kathy gg
05-31-2006, 06:14 PM
zero pain afterwards. I mean the pain is caused the the riping of the hair. As I said, it is the same idea as tweezing, just with tiny blades grabbing the hairs at incredidbly fast speed. THe pain is momentary. Again....drink a little vodka and you are good to go! :D

My hubby and I used to get ingrown hairs on the old epilator, again, I dont' think it was ripping near as fast because the motor was old inside it. I have not seen any ingrown hairs sicne we bought the new one. It seems to grab the hair much better and from the root. Anyway, a few ingrown hairs still to me are worth it. When I use it consistenly I only have to redo it it a week or more later. With regular shaving it is daily with sucks.

Okey...if its a bit on the painful side when its in use....how does it feel afterwards ? Any irritation or rash as in shaving? I'm going to try to pick one up next weekend :P

CJ

CobraJett
05-31-2006, 06:44 PM
zero pain afterwards. I mean the pain is caused the the riping of the hair. As I said, it is the same idea as tweezing, just with tiny blades grabbing the hairs at incredidbly fast speed. THe pain is momentary. Again....drink a little vodka and you are good to go! :D

My hubby and I used to get ingrown hairs on the old epilator, again, I dont' think it was ripping near as fast because the motor was old inside it. I have not seen any ingrown hairs sicne we bought the new one. It seems to grab the hair much better and from the root. Anyway, a few ingrown hairs still to me are worth it. When I use it consistenly I only have to redo it it a week or more later. With regular shaving it is daily with sucks.

Drink Vodka, eh? Do you think a few Captain Morgan & Dr. Peppers will work as well? wooooohoooooohoooooooooo ! ! !

CJ:hugs: