PDA

View Full Version : Epilator

Kathrynn
05-31-2006, 10:55 PM
Ok! i just bought an epilator... Do i shave first and then epilate? Please give me some direction.
Thanks,
Kathrynn

Rachel E
05-31-2006, 11:26 PM
You can start using it as per the instructions that came with the unit. It will hurt like hell until you can thin out the amount of hair that you have.
I have one and am doing my self as the hairs grow. It dosn't hurt that bad as you continue the use of it. About once a month i will completly shave myself and will go for about 5 to 6 days with out haveing to do any thing.
When you start just do small area and then move onto another area.
LOL Richie, Spokane, Wa

Scotty
05-31-2006, 11:45 PM
Does this do permanent hair removal or just temporary yanking it out?

I know someone replied when I asked this question but I'm not sure if I asked if it were permanent or not :)

Tx,

AngelAshley
06-01-2006, 05:42 AM
It's not permenant... the hair will grow back unless the hair regrowth cells are destroyed (which can currently only be effectively done by electrolysis and sometimes laser/IPL).

Don't shave fully first - the hair needs to be a few milimeters long in order for the tweezers to grab onto it. If you've got an electric shaver with a long hair trimmer on it, use that. See the instructions on your epilator for more info.

Yes, it will hurt like hell at first, and you might get some redness and/or skin irritation. From my own experience, I've got used to it pretty quick. I can now epilate the lower 3/4 of my leg without any pain at all.

Don't get tempted to try it on facial hair unless you're willing to put up with bleeding on your face then scabs after that for a long time. Trust me... it hurts like hell, and you'll look like a frak for a LONG time.

Rita Knight
06-01-2006, 06:05 AM
Hi All,
I have been epilating my arms and legs for years. One thing, for the first time, I would suggest shaving your arms ans legs, then let the hair grow back for about a week. Then epilate. I have found that longer hairs are more painful to epilate.

Rita

swiss_susan
06-01-2006, 07:05 AM
Having recently tried, either way will work but both will hurt like hell.

Susan

PennyAnne
06-01-2006, 08:21 AM
I have been using an "emjoi" purchased from The Sharper Image for a couple of years now. It leaves my legs smooth for over three weeks. Yes, it stings some at first, but after a few times the hair gets finer and it hardly stings at all. Use it after you have showered. After you use it, apply Witchhazel it will keep you from developing ingrown hairs. You will find ther you have to use it about twice or maybe thre times the first week. Then a light touch up till the next time. Make sure to moisturize after the witchhazel had dried. This is VERY important. This routine will prevent ingrown hairs which are unsightly and also itch. I know it sounds like a bother, but having your legs silky smooth with no stubble is worth it.
Penny