PDA

View Full Version : I can understand Wedge heels

Paula T
06-04-2006, 12:09 AM
being called wedges and slingbacks are self explanatory at least to me and flats of course but why are the shoes that I am wearing in my avatar called pumps? Any of you gals know it's a dumb question I know but maybe somebody has an answer.:o

Breanne
06-04-2006, 12:25 AM
Saw this explanation at one time: Pump is taken from the french word 'pompe' meaning an ornament of decoration. Such shoes as you show were described as 'sans pompe' that is, without decoration, gradually the 'sans' was dropped and just 'pompe' or 'pump' was used. Even if this is not correct, it sounds reasonable enough.

Kate Simmons
06-04-2006, 08:50 AM
Want the "blonde" explanation? They are called pumps because they "pump up" your derrierre when you wear them silly. Really, though, I never even gave it a thought, just figured it was one of those "names" like leotard or something that didn't have any particular meaning. They make you look nice though. Ericka

DanaJ
06-04-2006, 09:03 AM
Found this out on the 'net.....

Oxford English Dictionary

PUMP [1555]: A kind of light shoe, originally often of delicate material and colour, kept on the foot by its close fit, and having no fastening; a slipper for indoor wear; hence (in 17-18th centuries) applied to a more substantial low-heeled shoe of this character, especially one worn where freedom of movement was required, as by dancers, couriers, acrobats, duellists, etc.; now specifically, a light, low-heeled shoe, usually of patent leather and without fastening, worn with evening dress and for dancing.

Etymology : Of obscure origin; no word similar in form and sense has been found in other languages. Suggestions have been offered of its identity with the mechanical 'pump' and with 'pomp' (splendid display or celebration, magnificent show; splendour, magnificence), but without satisfactory grounds. The German 'pumps tiefel' and 'pumphosen,' which have been compared, are so called from their tubular or pipe-like legs; and there does not appear in the early use of 'pumps' any clear connexion with 'pomp' or show. It may have been an echoic word, suggested by the dull flapping sound made by slippers, as distinct from the stamp of heavy shoes.

Phyliss
06-04-2006, 09:49 AM
Ericka richards, wrote:

"just figured it was one of those "names" like leotard or something that didn't have any particular meaning. "

To add to the knowlege base:

Leotard
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
A ballet dancer wearing a modern design of leotard.
A leotard is a skin-tight one-piece garment that covers the torso and body but leaves the legs free. It was made famous by the French acrobatic performer Jules Léotard (1839–1870), about whom the song "The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze" was written.
The first known use of the name leotard came only in 1886, many years after Léotard's death. Léotard himself called the garment a maillot, which in French has now come to mean a swimsuit.
Leotards are worn by acrobats, gymnasts, dancers and circus performers both as practice garments and performance costumes. They are often worn together with tights.
Leotards are entered through the neck. (Constrast with bodysuits, which generally have snaps at the crotch, allowing the garment to be pulled on over the head.) Scoop-necked leotards have wide neck openings and are held in place by the elasticity of the garment. Others are crew-necked or turtle-necked and close at the back of the neck with a zipper or snaps.
There are sleeveless, short-sleeved and long-sleeved leotards. A variation is the unitard, which also covers the legs.
Leotards can also be worn as lingerie and are eroticised by some people, often as part of a wider spandex fetishism.

Words have meanings. Sometimes obscure

Angie G
06-04-2006, 12:56 PM
I don't know but I love them.