PDA

View Full Version : Help! Size question

juliehourglass
06-04-2006, 07:14 PM
Hi girls,

I want to buy a business suit to wear for a date I have coming up and since I'm a bit inexperienced with buying such attire - how do I know what size to get. I like Fredericks of Hollywood number that's so hot in that business/secretary way. I'm 5'9" 170... I've heard that size 16 will fit but what do you say...

Thanks and lots of love,

Julie

JeanneF
06-04-2006, 07:21 PM
It really depends a lot on your build more than just your weight. I'm 5'9" and 190, and generally wear a size 12 or 14, but I'm not built particularly big (kind of broad shoulders, but still well within "girl" size).

Like always, your best bet is to try it on, or if you're mail ordering go by what their size charts say.

Jodi
06-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Julie, Suits are great, but are difficult to get a great fit without trying them on. Very few of "us girls" are built to the same size on the top and the bottom. For example, I am a 14 on the top and an 8 on the bottom. If I buy a size 14 suit, the skirt will be way too big, and if I buy a suit in size 8 the jacket wouldn't fit. You might be one of the very lucky ones of us who are the same size top and bottom, but the odds are against that. To get a great fit in the suit look, you want to find what are called "coordinates". These are matching skirts/pants and jackets that are sold separately. This way you can mix and match sizes in the same design and color. To ensure a great fit for any suit look, you must be able to try on to ensure the fit and look is right for you. If you are not able to try on, a number of catalogs sell separates/coordinates. Examples are Lerner catalog, Chadwicks, Newport News. JMHO, but I would not mail order a one size suit. I think you would just end up sending it back.

Good luck.

Jodi

Butterfly Bill
06-04-2006, 07:27 PM
There is not much standardization in women's clothing sizes. I usually wear about a 16, but I have one suit I can get into labeled 10! There is no substitute for actually trying it on. Get some exact measurements of your height, waist, and chest in inches or centimeters, and try to get such measurements if you are ordering sight unseen.

juliehourglass
06-05-2006, 04:25 AM
You girls are so helpful - thanks for the good advice!
I really want to wear one because the constricted feeling drives me wild! I've looked into a size 38 C

thanks again
Julie

Kate Simmons
06-05-2006, 06:32 AM
You need to check the size charts in the catalog or online of the company you are ordering from. You would probably be a medium at Lane Bryant or 16 or 16W. I think Frederick's tends to size a little small. You can only find out by experimentation sometimes but you can send it back. Ericka

stephanie100
06-05-2006, 06:52 AM
Julie does not say where she is US sizes are differant to UK or EU which is differant to both Also I take a size 16UK for dresses or tops a size 12UK for skirts
Steph

Sky
06-05-2006, 10:31 AM
In short, girl, you have to try it on. Some things you can buy by guessing, but not a business suit!

BTW, if the constricted feeling is what turns you on, what you need is a waist cincher and a tight body suit. And then your suit sizes would go two or three numbers down just like that!