PDA

View Full Version : Gender and Sexuality...........

Vicky_Scotland
06-05-2006, 06:30 AM
I still see post on TG forums all over the same question as appears on this forum also.

What type of Cd are you. Are you Gay,Bi,Straight etc etc.

People please realise that Gender and Sexuality are to completely different things. They are poles apart. Your Sexuality does not determine your Gender as your Gender does not determine your Sexuality.

Gender - The condition of being female or male.

Sexuality - Concern with or interest in sexual activity.

AnnaMaria
06-05-2006, 06:49 AM
Vicky,

I have to agree with you on this one. This type of question I think comes from the stereotype that has been placed on us by the general public because of events of the past. Some often people see tg men as gay automaticlly because of drag queens and such from the past or because of the fact that they believe that no "normal" man would willingly give up his birthright to be the "weaker" sex, so the person must then be gay.

Personally I believe that we as a community should focus our attention on what we can do to change this attitude that is so prevelant in our society today so that we can make changes for the future generations. Because lets face it girls, until we all make an effort to change the way we are precieved by society at large nothing is going to get any better for us. And we are still going to have to face the questions from society about our sexuality, which I truely believe should be something keep between us and our partners, not the world.

I don't want anyone to think that I am trying to come down on anyone in the group because that is not my intention at all. I simply want to bring home the fact that we are perpetuating a myth which could force us to stay an unprotected minority instead of giving us the freedom to live our lives in peace while being who we are without fear of reprisals because of it.

huggs
anna

Teresa Amina
06-05-2006, 08:30 AM
Maybe it's superficial but still the "What type" question is useful for those who've only just discovered they're not alone. The diversity of this group is suprising if you're only aware of your own sexuality and wondering what sort of people you've gotten involved with here.