PDA

View Full Version : masks getting even better

jo_ann
06-06-2006, 09:24 PM
Still not blinking or mouth movement, but very realistic looking.. and according to this wired article the eyeballs are glass (transparent so you can see through them).. this eliminates that gap you see with most masks.
http://photogenicdoll.cutegirl.jp/mask/faq/neweyes.jpg

ordering is already shutdown, if you go into FAQ section you'll find out they cost $900 USD (although looking at the skin close up, it's amazingly real looking)
http://photogenicdoll.cutegirl.jp/mask/

there's a been an article posted about this guy before (similiar pictures), but it seems like they're actually making them as production now.. look in the photo section on the bottom of the page, quite eery.

Deborah
06-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Looks pretty cool until you're walking around without blinking or moving your mouth lol.
I agree though, a lot better then other versions i've seen.

SherriePall
06-07-2006, 08:36 AM
Jo Ann -- Looks very interesting, but also very expensive (I think). Who knows what will happen in a couple of years?

Karren H
06-07-2006, 09:11 AM
OK, so I don't get the whole masking thingy? But then again I don't get a lot of things either, hehehe. But for $900 I could by a ton of makeup. And get a makeover. And maybe have some left over for new clothes and maybe a new wig! Or a down payment on laser hair removal!!

So what is the attraction to masking? If you don't mind me asking.

Love Karren

Julia Cross
06-07-2006, 09:45 AM
Kind of freakish if you ask me.

J

Tracy_Victoria
06-07-2006, 09:53 AM
OK, so I don't get the whole masking thingy? But then again I don't get a lot of things either, hehehe. But for $900 I could by a ton of makeup. And get a makeover. And maybe have some left over for new clothes and maybe a new wig! Or a down payment on laser hair removal!!

So what is the attraction to masking? If you don't mind me asking.

Love Karren

The one real benefit is you can have a beard and where a mask, but I can't see the point in crossdressing and having a beard! (no disrespect to those that have them) just my opinion that all!

yep i'd go for the makeup, wigs, and other items to change my appearence, but nothing perminant.

janedoe311
06-07-2006, 02:02 PM
It is crossdressing of course but a specific kind. They are not trying to pass. You can find many sites and groups. Some are into the rubber doll look!

Look at this site he or she went to extremes with a body suit. It is not just men but woman also that put on masks and suits. http://www.angelinadoll.com/thesuit.html

The problem with making them “real” is that it is not possible without making a plaster model of your face and molding the mask to fit. Even then it will fold when you smile.

The “masks” used in movies are put on in pieces and are very thin at the edges so they can only be used once. Having them in pieces makes the “parts” move with facial expressions without wrinkling. Also the glue has to be put around your eyes which you would not want to risk by yourself.

The photogenic mask it amazing. A person on a mask site that purchased one said that it is thick and heavy.

In any case I have a Cindy from the MakeupArtist at http://www.makupartist.com/web_shop/cindy.htm was going to wear it with my WonderWoman costume for Halloween, but did not get it in time. Will probably sell it on ebay, hopefully for what I paid for it. Did not tell my wife how much it cost me!

Check MakeupArtist's site out. It is the closest to “professional” makeup prosthetics I have found.

jo_ann
06-07-2006, 06:37 PM
I will agree that since the mask will likely mold to your facial features, you probably won't end up looking normal wearing one of these, but perhaps when 3d scanners drop more in price and you can upload a 3d model of your face, a reasonable priced custom mask can be created one day (I'm an engineer, so I know you can buy low volume prototype parts).. only drawback of low volume is poor detail (but you don't care about detail of the inside of the mask), so perhaps this will be possible. I would agree that unless you make seperate parts, any facial movement will have serious wrinkly bends, but materials are getting more exotic all the time (I can guarantee as nanotechnology gets better and cheaper, we'll see VERY thin rubber while being just as strong), which will allow for stretching without tearing. If the mouth were opened up and attached by glue, I think you could get a convincing mouth movement. The only way for the eyes to work is some sort of efficient servo system to manually blink the eyes (with some sort of energy storing in a capacitor so it can close and open very quickly in a burst), but of course that will mean some sort of battery pack to be worn on the body. Definetely a long way from realism, but this is a big step in getting there.

personally I think this is a great alternative to:
1. a man who has a very masculine face
2. someone who has facial defects from birth
3. someone who can't shave, or doesn't want to spend an hour on makeup everytime he wants to look pretty

DawnLabelle
06-07-2006, 10:45 PM
I'll be honest here, that just creeps me the hell out. First thing I thought of was silence of the lambs..... *shudder*

Julia Cross
06-08-2006, 07:50 AM
This is really more science fiction than reality. If a persone really wants to change their appearance that badly, then get cosmetic surgery. A mask is a mask, realistically I believe we are a long way from creating a mask that does what they show in scifi movies.

It's nice to dream about such an easy fix to looking beautiful.

In the end, I think it's just too fake. OK for a fetish club but other than that you would scare the heck out of the general public.

Julia

Teresa Amina
06-08-2006, 12:03 PM
The symbology of masks is interesting to think about. By putting on a mask you become someone you are not. When I 'dress I become someone I am. Whether or not these masks appeal to you tells a lot about your motivation, don't you think?

janedoe311
06-12-2006, 01:00 PM
This is really more science fiction than reality. If a persone really wants to change their appearance that badly, then get cosmetic surgery. A mask is a mask, realistically I believe we are a long way from creating a mask that does what they show in scifi movies.

It's nice to dream about such an easy fix to looking beautiful.

In the end, I think it's just too fake. OK for a fetish club but other than that you would scare the heck out of the general public.

Julia

That is correct. Masks are a fetish in private parties or with friends. Do not think that most Male to Female TG's would want to look like a female sex doll in public!

ReginaK
06-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Those masks are kinda creepy. Like something i'd use for a film, but not for wearing out.

Sandra_muc
07-21-2006, 10:04 PM
It's a kind of fetish than something else I think. Searching for an explanation may be without any success.
My reason for masking is, that identify me as masked person is not as dramatic, as identifying me in my real identity. I life in very small village and my Job is a private teacher (mathematics, physics) and my customers are mostly teens. I need not explain that to you, that this has absolutely nothing to do with my fetish, but also, I may not tell you, waht people might think when knowig that this "friendly teacher" does crossdressing. :eek: :( :thumbsdn:
So, wearing a mask gives a additional protection to me.

Best wishes to you,
Sandra_muc