PDA

View Full Version : bra sizing: add/don't add 5"?

cd_sean
06-07-2006, 12:01 AM
Some places say to measure your chest, then add 5 inches, while others say to just measure your chest. Is it really different from place to place?

Delila
06-07-2006, 12:04 AM
I think that the 5 inches applies if you have breasts.

older not wiser
06-07-2006, 04:02 AM
I measured my chest for the band size (40) and have bought bras in that size as I like them alittle more snug. My bras are the underwire type which for me holds my forms in place better then "no wire", The cup size, ah the cup size, firstly it depends how big you want to be and your body mass(slim, medium or large) DD breasts would not look good on a slim build not unless you WANT to stand out. Personally I don't, I just want to blend in. Hope this helps!!!

Love; BonnieAnne

jking90
06-07-2006, 12:04 PM
that's designed for women who want the right bra sizing.
(or, i believe, men with gynemocastia; apologies if spelling off).
for men without breasts, just use the measurement with no addition.
if you're an odd number, add 1. if it's 36 1/2, you might need 38.

Stephenie S
06-07-2006, 02:06 PM
I think the "add 5 inches" and round it off is much more important in the smaller band sizes where most GGs and fewer of us measure. If you think about it, a few inches makes much more of a difference if you are 32" than if you are 42". Bottom line though, is you HAVE to try it on. Take it home, if it's too tight bring it back. When I was younger I could wear a 34 or 36, now I wear a 40. Also different manufacturers size slightly different. VS measured me and sold me a 38 and it does fit, but my old 38 BALI bras are too uncomfortable and I have moved up to a 40. Cup size is another matter and you can pretty much decide what cup size you want to be by the size forms you buy.
Lovies,
Stephenie

KerriAnn
06-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Taken from the Herroom website

Band Size

Holding the measuring tape gently but firmly, measure around your body directly under your bust. Look in a mirror to assure the tape is parallel to the floor. Note: When you take these measurements, round to the closest whole inch, either up or down. (For example, if your measurement is 29 3/8", round to 29". If your measurement is 29 1/2" or more, round to 30".)

If the rounded measurement you come up with is an even number, add 4 inches. If the rounded measurement you come up with is an odd number, add 5 inches.

The result is your band size.

Example: 33" + 5" = 38" band size

A second method for finding your band size is to measure around your body, straight across your back and chest directly above the bust at underarm level. If this measurement is an odd number, add one inch and the result will be your band size. It has been our experience, however, that this method is less reliable, though it does help in determining whether your back is broad or small. If the results of measuring this way generate a larger measurement than the first option, you probably have a broad back. If the measurement is smaller, your probably have a small back

For more info see

http://www.herroom.com/lingerie-sizing-bras.aspx

gneena
06-08-2006, 07:43 PM
Check out Yvonne's site I think it makes a lot more sense for us men.

http://www.yvonnesplace.net/head_toe/bra_sizing.htm

Gneena
(o)(o)

cd_sean
06-09-2006, 01:14 AM
Check out Yvonne's site I think it makes a lot more sense for us men.

http://www.yvonnesplace.net/head_toe/bra_sizing.htm

Gneena
(o)(o)

That's a great article, thanks!