PDA

View Full Version : My recent UK Visit..............

oztallulah
06-08-2006, 07:22 AM
I am interested in getting some feedback from the UK girls. I have just spent 6 weeks in the UK, mainly around the Midlands, but also travelling to the south coast for a week. I must say I didn't go out Femme, due to the fact I took a very limited range of clothes with me. However, in talking to various people I know over there, I found the acceptance of CD/TS/TG was much wider than here in good old Oz.

Is that how you UK ladies find it, or was it just my imagination?

Cheery GG
06-08-2006, 07:24 AM
I know your question was mainly for cd's but i am from midlands, was just wondering where abouts you were.....most tourists go to Stratford ???

cheery
xx

oztallulah
06-08-2006, 07:30 AM
Halfway between Leicester and Birmingham. Near Hinckley. Not much of a tourist. I was born there. And still have very strong emotional bonds.

AngelAshley
06-08-2006, 07:35 AM
I think it depends where abouts you are. I live in Guildford, and I've never really had any issues with my gender identity around this area. However, there are certain places in London that I would not like to go to. Mainly north london and Croydon.

I can't compare it to Australia since I've never been there, but I can't see why it would be any worse over there - from what I've heard people are far more friendly and laid back over there than they are here.

On a side note I'm going to be moving to Australia after my operation...

oztallulah
06-08-2006, 07:41 AM
Sadly, whilst there are a number of places over here in Oz that are cool for us, the general scenario is the male macho type. Although, I think
'Priscilla, Queen of the Desert'
has helped us a bit over the years too. I just get the feel many more places in UK are more tolerant. However, I also know there are places here like North London/Croydon that one wouldn't venture , ever.

Nikki Dee
06-08-2006, 08:53 AM
Hi. Love...well, it IS getting better that's for sure.!..there are many places now that are accepting...but there are many that aren't of course..but generally we have an improving situation. There are so many LGBT "Pride" events taking place all over the country this year so that has to be good news.!!
Nikki. x

Eugenie
06-08-2006, 11:59 AM
I was lucky enough to spend some time in Melbourne in 2002. I absolutely adored that city and its surroundings. If I had been younger, I would have seeked an employment there...

I had the impression Melbourne would be a cool place for people who have "different" life styles, including us X-dressers. I felt very safe going out at night. I wasn't going out "en femme" though.

I hope to come again. This time I will bring my "femme" clothes :happy:
:hugs:
Eugenie

Kimberly
06-08-2006, 03:10 PM
My acceptance has been a generational thing... younger people, in the crowd I hang out with, seem much more open minded.

I think transgendered people in America are much more stereotyped in the media than in the UK, that may account for it. (I don't know about Oz!)

The other thing to consider, is Britain's "Stiff upper lip" policy. You don't talk about it. Ever. :straightface:

carol ann
06-08-2006, 05:50 PM
I am somewhat surprised you found acceptance in Hinckley - I would have thought it - as an East Midlands Industrial town with mining links - as very conservative as to social ways.

Where did you find the acceptance - was it old friends? in shops? in the pub? The town isn't exactly noted for its night clubs and crossdressing bars

Tamara Croft
06-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Halfway between Leicester and Birmingham. Near Hinckley. Not much of a tourist. I was born there. And still have very strong emotional bonds.:eek: and you didn't stop by for coffee :cry:

Lilith Moon
06-08-2006, 06:22 PM
I am somewhat surprised you found acceptance in Hinckley - I would have thought it

I've spent a few happy hours dressed in a rubber suit near Hinckley....

...at the Stoney Cove SCUBA dive center.

Lorna
06-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Minaki, I read your post and it raised a question.

I live in the UK and know Croydon and Guildford and most other places (inc Hinckley) quite well. Now, I have never been out while (outwardly) dressed and so have no direct experience, but, on the face of it, I can see little difference between, say, Croydon and Guildford as places where I would or would not expect a CD to encounter problems. I am simply intrigued to know what differences you perceive.