PDA

View Full Version : Cogiati Test

Distraught_Desire
06-10-2006, 08:20 AM
Hi

just a quick question i wanted to ask you all about the Cogiati test and if you have taken it before.

I've been dressing since the age of 9 or so, although for the past couple of years i've not dressed at all, mainly due to the lack of opportunities until it got to the point where i've wasn't thinking about dressing at all.

The urges have been coming back recently though, stronger than ever so i thought i'd give the Cogiati Test a go, to see what it made of me, so to speak.

I scored 140, which puts me in the probable transsexual catagory and advises i seek some sort of professional help. I've never spoken to anyone about this (and not sure i could face to face), so i'm wondering exactly how accurate the test is and if i really should be getting help or not.

I'm just not sure about it as i don't actually dress at the moment, but i will be moving into my own place by myself for the first time in my life in a couple of months and no doubt will end up dressing at some point :)

Um, apologies for rambling, am just feeling a little confused at the moment, but thanks if you read all that :)

~Kelly~
06-10-2006, 08:28 AM
I personally do not rely on test results. Most are too easy to influence answers if even subconsciously to achieve a "desired" outcome. I am not saying that they do not have their place, just don't try to take a test online and use that as "proof". My advice would be to see a professional if you are questioning......be honest and open and let their training and expertise work for you. Again though, don't try and manipulate an answer out of them based on your own personal desired outcome, just be honest. Well thats my .02

Kimberley
06-10-2006, 08:37 AM
It is a lovely on line test and should be treated as such. It really has zero weight because it is biased toward this sort of result. It is a fun thing to do.

The real "tests" come from a therapist and over a number of sessions. However, we all KNOW internally who and what we are and dont really need a test to give that credence. Most TS's are aware of their gender identity from a very early age. Some come out later in life when they hit the wall but generally we are aware of our identity. Usually it takes a gender counsellor to help us put things in perspective though.

If you are really concerned, go see a gender counsellor to help you out.

Hope this is of some help.

:hugs:
Kimberley.

Kate Simmons
06-10-2006, 08:37 AM
I'm with you Kelly. Tests really don't prove anything. They don't take into consideration emotional intelligence or instinct or common sense. I feel our own sense of values more determine who and what we are as a person. Ericka

TammyB
06-10-2006, 09:32 AM
Its full of questions based on awful stereotypes eg: do you like pink? are you good at maths or a silly blondie girly? do films make you cry? do you like huggles?

Go by your own feelings I reckon. If the test has prompted you to think about things then it has been usefull. But I wouldnt take the result seriously, on its own.

Marcia-B
06-10-2006, 01:57 PM
I have taken it a few times and score about 230 which is also probable transexual.When I took it I was really worked up about theses issues so may have scored higher.The first time I took it ,my score was much lower.I havn't done anything about it yet.
I think any musician or artistic person might score fairly highly on this test.I wouldn't totally rely on it.

Tamara Croft
06-10-2006, 02:10 PM
I just did a search for Cogiati and as you can see, this topic has been discussed several times.

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10661
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16264
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17440
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2745
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22998
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28518

Natasha Anne
06-10-2006, 04:19 PM
I like it. It's fun. It might give you some indication, but the best advice of all, and it's in there, is that you seek therapy if it determines you might be transsexual

Of course we can subconciously affect the results of the test, or even try deliberately to give the answers we think it wants.

I say who cares. Just like S.A.G.E. it is a bit of fun, and you should seek therapy regardless. Never ever base your life decisions on tests like these or those you find in Cosmo magazine :)

I do sometimes wonder why someone would take this test, or spend time looking for it, if they didn't have any issues.

Scotty
06-10-2006, 11:16 PM
I scored a 195 on it, one question hit it right on the head for me, something about bieng male and female....

You can skew the results the way you want to, I suppose if you took it honestly then it might have some relevance but as you answer the questions you can see the higher the score the more TS you "might' be.

Thus it pre-loads the conscious to choose the higher scoring answer.

Totally invalid test - it's a feely good test ot make you feel good about femininity - as is the entire site - and tha'ts good, but I wouldn't go get SRS based on that test.

Joy Carter
06-11-2006, 01:30 AM
I took it but don't recall the score but it said I was a "gender warrior" what came to mind was Arnold Schwarzenegger in a dress. LOL

Teresa Amina
06-11-2006, 07:01 AM
are you good at maths or a silly blondie girly?

Hey, I'm bad at math but have dark hair! :D Sure, it's a silly test, but if it makes someone look a little deeper into themselves it's a good thing.

Jeannie9
06-17-2006, 11:06 PM
This test is just an indication. If you feel that you indeed have gender identity issues please consult a professional regardless of your score.

Ms. Donna
07-02-2006, 09:27 PM
From Dr. Anne Lawrence's site - Transsexual Women’s Resources (http://www.annelawrence.com/)

#13. What do you think of on-line gender tests, such as the COGIATI, and the Moir-Jessel Brain Sex test? (http://www.annelawrence.com/faqs.html#tests)

I think that both the COGIATI and the Moir-Jessel tests are little more than pseudo-scientific nonsense, and that anyone trying to figure out his or her gender identity issues would be well advised to ignore both.

Let's start with the Moir-Jessel. The book Brain Sex, from which the test is derived, is a sloppy piece of pop science, full of oversimplifications, unsupported inferences, and speculations presented as though they were facts. It simply cannot be taken seriously by anyone familiar with the neurosciences. (By contrast, Simon LeVay's contemporaneous book, The Sexual Brain, although a bit dated by now, is a superb work by a real neuroscientist and is highly recommended.)

The Moir-Jessel Brain Sex test is as silly as the book that spawned it. Perhaps its greatest weakness is that it has never been empirically validated. Despite its authors' claims, the Moir-Jessel cannot tell you whether you have a "female brain" (whatever that term might mean); it cannot even tell you whether the answers you give are more like those given by average males or by average females, because the test has not been validated by actual samples of male and female subjects. But even assuming that you, as a biologic male, did answer the questions in a way that was more typical of average female respondents, would that mean you were therefore more likely to be genuinely transsexual? No one knows, because the test has never been validated with a sample of transsexuals, either. The Moir-Jessel Brain Sex test has absolutely no demonstrated predictive value for persons struggling with gender identity issues. It is best ignored.

Regrettably, the COGIATI is even worse than the Moir-Jessel. It is the creation of webmistress Jennifer Diane Reitz, a transsexual woman who transitioned in 1981. Unfortunately, the COGIATI seems to have incorporated all the clichés and stereotypes about male-to-female transsexuals that were circulating in those bad old days and combined them with the Moir-Jessel items, creating a pastiche that would almost be funny if it were not so tragic. According to the COGIATI, typical male-to-female transsexuals are hopeless at math and science, love to sit close to strangers and be hugged by them, can't park cars, can't tell directions, get lost easily, suffer from migraines, are not assertive, and (of course) do not eroticize their own femininity. Does that sound like many transsexuals YOU know? Somehow I didn't think so.

It should go without saying that there is no evidence that persons who conform to the stereotypes presented in the COGIATI are more likely to have successful outcomes from sex reassignment than those who don't. I suggest that gender-conflicted biologic males who are searching for their life paths ignore the COGIATI.

Love & Stuff,
Donna

dianak
07-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Hi,

I have taken the test, and I feel it is accurate. It listed me in the same profile, I did follow the advice it gave and it does help. Also, the doctor I saw was willing to have do the Benjamin protocol for a m2f transsexual.

So, I would feel it is quite a good test.

Diana

Maria D
07-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Hi,

I have taken the test, and I feel it is accurate. It listed me in the same profile, I did follow the advice it gave and it does help.
I've always been good at tests with which I already know the answer. I personally think it'd be better asking one question: 'What do you honestly think about yourself?' Because the truthful answer is found in the person's head, not any test or even any psychiatrist's findings. But that's just my opinion.

Also, the doctor I saw was willing to have do the Benjamin protocol for a m2f transsexual.

So, I would feel it is quite a good test.

Diana

The HB standards of care are nothing to do with any online test, rather they are, well, standards of care lol, that it is recommended doctors follow; most doctors, if they know of TGs, follow these standards, though they do not have to.

Take care :)

gulliver
07-11-2006, 08:59 AM
i've done the test a few times over the years - every time it comes up with androgyne, which is pretty close if not exactly how i feel.
(and, no, i can't remember the questions or answers i gave from one time to the next!!)

Siobhan Marie
07-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Have just done the test myself and it gave me a score of -45 and said that I was a COGIATI classification THREE, ANDROGYNE and gave me the following meaning. The Combined Gender Identity And Transsexuality Inventory has classified your internal gender identity to be essentially androgynous, both male and female at the same time, or possibly neither.
In some cultures in history, you would be considered to be a third sex, independent of the polarities of masculine or feminine. Your gender issues are intrinsic to your construction, and you will most likely find your happiness playing with expressing both genders as you feel like it.

:hugs: Anna x