PDA

View Full Version : Judgement

DonnaT
11-22-2004, 11:23 AM
Court Decision Favors TS. http://www.outinamerica.com/home/news.asp?articleid=7419

WASHINGTON - Human Rights Campaign President Cheryl Jacques made the following statement regarding a Leavenworth, Kan., Superior Court judge's dismissal yesterday of charges against Sandy Gast, a transgender woman arrested for identifying herself as female on her marriage license.

"The judge recognized the absurdity behind these discriminatory charges. The judge properly recognized that Ms. Gast intended no dishonesty by checking the box that truly corresponds with her gender identity.

"Unfortunately, the disrespectful and detrimental treatment Ms. Gast suffered at the hands of the state happens all too often to transgender people, as well as gay, lesbian and bisexual Americans. Until our country's justice system treats all GLBT people fairly, our work for equality will not be done.

"We laud Ms. Gast and her lawyer for their work on this important case. Our fight for fairness would be much harder fought without individuals like Ms. Gast bravely defending their rights."

Gast, a post-operative male-to-female transsexual, filled out a marriage license in April 2004 identifying herself as female. The Leavenworth County Sheriff's Office arrested Gast for violating a Kansas statute pertaining to false swearing. Although the crime was a minor infraction, Gast was arrested. Her bond was five times the amount of the maximum fine for her crime. The judge in the case ruled that Gast did not intend to falsify the document.

Julie
11-22-2004, 11:37 AM
Thank heavens there are at least a few forward thinking judges out there who can see stupid statutes for what they are.

JJ

Wendy me
11-22-2004, 12:00 PM
that just shows how far we have to go yet.............if some one thinks you just chooes this life like a shooping list oh milk, eggs ,cd,, tv, bread........who would just want to put themslefes through allthis people have to relize this is who we are............ closed mindshurt all of us

Marlene4a
11-27-2004, 09:15 PM
Yes, I must admit. I am a Bible Thumper.

However, never from a legal standpoint. That is man's interpretation.
But from a love and forgiveness standpoint. That is God's interpretation.

Don't believe a "mutation" of God's word. He loves us beyond what we think.

I heard this quote..." Many will rise off the death bed of aids, and spread the gospel in these last days".
I believe that.

(Don't hate me now. I know these words are not popular)

Said out of love.

Me

crispy
11-28-2004, 12:46 AM
the old testament of the bible is nothing but a collection of political tomes written to hold the people of the time together. most of it is irrelevant to modern day life. it would not be difficult to write a book of generally accepted moral standards (human rights, etc.) today, but it would be very different. hasn't the UN already done it?

the new testament is largely a collection of non-contemporary writings by people who never witnessed what they suggest to be true, and has subsequently been assumed to be true by so many bible thumpers.

religion (or lack of it) is a personal thing, but the bible should have little relevance to anybody except as a historical background to where we should be today in moral standards.

A controversial starter for you .................. :)

DonnaT
11-28-2004, 12:49 AM
No controversy here, http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_11_2.gif

coral_s
11-29-2004, 07:38 AM
I cannot put my faith in the Bible, nor in any other work which cannot be tested (that is a result of a science & engineering education for you). I instead believe in what I can I see, touch, hear, taste or smell.

If the Bible is so good why, in the past were people burned at the stake for daring to translate it into English and distributing it for people to read?

One of the biggest problems I have with the Bible is that of translation. As Crispy says, none of it is contemporaneous and it has been serially translated from one language to another, the exact meaning being the interpretation of each individual translator. The prime example of this is the 'camel passing through the eye of a needle' quotation. This is probably confusion by the transaltor between two ancient greek words kamelos and kamelas, one meaning camel and the other meaning rope. It is difficult to believe that where there is one error then there are no more.

Religion is personal, and providing that they do not bring harm othes, everyone is entitled to their belief and to live their lives by the rules of restrictions of their faith if they so choose. Nobody, however, has the right to impose these rules and restrictions on others who do not share that faith.

Live and let live.