PDA

View Full Version : Crossdressing Women in History

CaptLex
06-14-2006, 09:27 AM
Private Perks is a Terry Pratchet (one of my fav authors) reference to a cross dressing girl who joins the army.
This line from the "name" thread caught my eye, but I thought maybe it deserved it's own thread so I could expand on it without hijacking the previous one.

Coincidentally, I enjoy stories about crossdressing women throughout history (gee, I wonder why) and am currently reading "Lieutenant Nun". It's the memoirs of a woman (Catalina de Erauso) from the early 1600's who was raised in a convent in Spain and ran away around the age of 15 before taking her final vows. She took off for the New World and for approximately 20 years lived as a man and became an officer in the Spanish army. She was eventually found out and became like a celebrity throughout Europe. She was then granted permission by the Pope to live the rest of her life as a man (with full crossdressing privileges) and a pension by the King of Spain. :thumbsup:

Not all stories end happily like this (remember what happened to Joan of Arc), but I'm always on the look out for these kinds of stories - historical, as well as fictional. So, if anyone has read any others please let me know.

Perks, thanks for the info. I'll be looking that one up.

gennee
06-14-2006, 07:21 PM
'Lieutenant Nun' sounds like a good read, CaptLex.

Gennee

Casey Morgan
06-14-2006, 07:30 PM
This puts a bit of a spin on what you're looking for, but hopefully it's a welcome spin. I was just remembering that some notable male authors from the 19th century, such as George Sand, were actually women. I googled "him" and found this entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Sand) in the Wikipedia. It turns out she was a crossdresser. I'm wondering which other authors were also crossdressers or created a male persona in their correspondance.

CaptLex
06-15-2006, 09:02 AM
Thanks, guys . . .

Lex, I'm going to look those books up on Amazon and see if I can get them.

Shari Ann, thanks for the link. I'm also interested in reading more on George Sand, so I'll be looking for any biographies too.

Gennee, it's a really interesting story. She was quite an adventurer - kind of like Indiana Jones or something. :eek:

privateperks
06-15-2006, 10:26 AM
Looking for more FtM books? Well, there's a series by Tamora Pierce, it's about a girl who trades places with her twin so that she can become a knight. The first book is called 'Alanna: the First Adventure'. It's not a bad read, although she doesn't want to be a guy, she just wants to be a knight.

I really liked that series too.

There's a book called "The Last Report On The Miracles At Little No Horse." It's by Louise Erditch and about a woman who cross dresses to become a priest. But you'd have to read the entire "Love Medicine" series to really be able to follow the plot.

CaptLex
06-15-2006, 01:04 PM
I really liked that series too.

There's a book called "The Last Report On The Miracles At Little No Horse." It's by Louise Erditch and about a woman who cross dresses to become a priest. But you'd have to read the entire "Love Medicine" series to really be able to follow the plot.
Thanks, Perks, I'll check it out. :thumbsup: