PDA

View Full Version : Man, woman or person?

Kate Simmons
06-15-2006, 04:57 AM
I'm still here for now. Yesterday I posted a comment that inferred that men and women are the same except for the obvious physical differences. There's an old joke which goes like this: "How do you tell the difference between a male chromosome and a female chromosome?" The answer: "You pull down it's "genes". I don't think it's quite that simple with regard to us. Humans are the most versatile creatures on this planet and can adapt to whatever situation or condition they find themselves in. So, my question (this is for everyone) is: Are we men, women or just plain old adaptable people? Take care, love, Ericka

Marla S
06-15-2006, 05:15 AM
As we don't fit into the classic categories, I'd say person.
You're right in the way that humans can adapt to various situations and cheat the genes in a way. Nevertheless there is a strong evidence that role models, male or female behavior are not only determined by education and social reasons. Gender and gender behavior is a mixture of both, social and biochemical factors.
That's why I like the idea that transgenderism is caused by a hormone flush at the "wrong" time during pregnancy. If this leads to some non-gender conforme synapses it would be a good reason why a transgendered person (CD, TS) never will become gender-conform and a gender-conform person will never become a TG, whatever you try with education, therapy, social enviroment.

Helen MC
06-15-2006, 05:28 AM
Person in my book. It is what one feels that one is inside that matters, not the presence or absence of some organs. The Law here in the UK now recognises this at least in part as it at long last has righted a great wrong and permits post operative transexuals to have their official documents in particular their Birth Certificate altered to come into line with their physicial situation . Such a person will now be put in the appropriate ward in a hospital and if they are convicted of some crime will be placed in a prison which matches what they now are as regards to gender and not what they may have been at birth.

A geneticist would claim that one's DNA determines one's sex so even a post op M to F would still have an XY profile although externally and behaviourally they would be female and accepted as such. I am glad that that test has been rejected by the Law in the UK , although it may still apply in the likes of the Olympics and it will be interesting to see if any M to F or vice versa athletes compete in 2008 and if any such testing is done to them?

Karren H
06-15-2006, 06:44 AM
Guess you'll will have to wait until they do they an autopsy on me to find that out!! hehehe

Most likely another 40 or 50 years plus years... Mom always said we had good "Genes"!!

Love Karren

KateW
06-15-2006, 06:54 AM
I am physically a man, with some female charactistics, so I guess I'm a... malf!

livy_m_b
06-15-2006, 06:56 AM
My current supposition, except perhaps for IS individuals, is that we are mostly persons who have have an tendency (genetic or developmental or learned) to emulate gendered behaviors opposite to that usually associated with our biological sex. That would mean in the case of mtf cds/tss that we are "men who like to behave like women" and vice versa for ftms. Another way of saying the same thing this is just to say "I feel like I'm a woman" etc. However, I'm perfectly okay with anyone who wants to say "I'm a real woman" etc. - whatever expression works for you is acceptable for me. The point is just that to a greater or lesser extent we (mtfcd/ts) like to behave to a greater or lesser extent as if we were natal women. That probably comes down to be "adaptable persons" with a genetic or developmental bias to oppositely gendered behavior.

Kate Simmons
06-15-2006, 07:01 AM
Livy, I love your logic. Sure you're not related to Mr. Spock? Just kidding! Love, Ericka

TGMarla
06-15-2006, 07:34 AM
So, my question (this is for everyone) is: Are we men, women or just plain old adaptable people?Is there a selection for "all of the above"?

Kate Simmons
06-15-2006, 07:52 AM
Guess we could add that one, Marla. Kay

GypsyKaren
06-15-2006, 08:21 AM
I realize that there is a differance in the sexes and such, and I accept it. Even though I've always felt I was female and live full time as one, the genes tell a different story. When I go out, I don't care or expect to be seen or treated as a woman, just as a person, nothing more, and nothing less.

Karen

rosiegurl
06-15-2006, 11:10 AM
well, physically, inside and out, men and women are very diffferent.

on the mental side, men are more predisposed towards certain actions and thought processes than women are regardless of the gender issues going on inside.

there was a thread on the FtM forum not so long back talking about the huge differences between this forum and theirs and how the people react and such