PDA

View Full Version : a thanksgiving day warning....

MistyCD
11-23-2004, 01:14 PM
Hello to all my friends and happy thanksgiving to you and your families.... with that I would like to extend a polite WARNING to those who are using those outside propane deep fryers for cooking their turkeys. As an ex firefighter, BE EXTREMELY careful using them. I have read about people setting their houses on fire by using them (one guy was a paid firefighter with years of experience). Basically they are a 4 gallon can of hot oil heated with a propane torch and you drop the bird into the oil. A lot of these fryers do not have safety devices to kill the flame if they flip over, and they flip over very easily!!

If you use one of these, make sure you are away from anything that burns like a porch, deck, etc... Make sure you have a good fire extinguisher handy... maybe more than one, an a first aid kit. Please be careful.

hugs

JoannaDees
11-23-2004, 01:38 PM
And be very, very worried for your turkey brethern, or sisteren, or bletheren in Trista's case. They are in a deep crisis this time of year. Gobble, gobble, gobble ...

DonnaT
11-23-2004, 01:48 PM
And turn off the fire before dropping the bird in. Once in the fire can be relit.

Sharon
11-23-2004, 06:37 PM
Just use your heads when deep frying a turkey. Never attempt to use it indoors, have an extinguisher nearby, and avoid using propane in the first place. I use an electric drop-in coil. Also -- wear your oldest, gubbiest drab clothing because it will splash on you.
For flavor though, you can't beat it.

Sharon
11-23-2004, 06:43 PM
Dead Jenny, the same birds you buy for use in the oven. I wouldn't want to take the chance on being called a "mother plucker"!

Sweet Susan
11-23-2004, 06:53 PM
Flemington, New Jersey! Why that's the home of Dan Federici!

MistyCD
11-23-2004, 08:04 PM
Flemington, New Jersey! Why that's the home of Dan Federici!

who??