PDA

View Full Version : Recent shopping experiences

fionasboots
06-17-2006, 06:55 PM
Every time I've come out to the US so far I've been able to take advantage of to really low cost of clothes, shoes and stuff which is even better because of the great UK exchange rate :p

Anyway, thought I'd share my experience from Friday/Saturday

Friday: Left work early but felt really tired (jet-lag caught up with me and just working too long this week) but decided to drive up to the outlet mall anyway.

Wandered round a bit in a bit of a daze, feeling quite self-concious. Went into one store and found a nice short-white skirt ... just as I picked it up one of the assistants (guy) came up behind me and asked "are you finding everything okay?" and then, seeing what I had in my hand "hope you're finding your right size"! OMG! Then he said "the shorter the better, eh?".

I mumbled something incoherent about "... wife ... erm ... hope she likes it" and then tried to get out of the store quickly, without looking like I was going too quickly!

For those of you who have not experience this before imagine this: it's like your self-confidence is a football, first it gets a good kicking and then gets flattened and jumped on to top it off!

So, note to self: best to go shopping when not tired as it helps keep up the old self-esteem!

Thankfully on the same trip I managed to pluck up enough courage to go into another store and buy a nice ping outfit and white skirt (not as short as the other one, but nicer maybe).

Saturday: walked to local mall, still feeling a bit self-concious. Walked into shoe store, while looking the assistant asked "finding everything okay, the sales ones have those little stickers on". This didn't freak me as much and she sounded quite friendly. Bought the shoes! :)

Also walked into Gap and bought a really nice Pink dress and the assistant there was really nice, though I did lie and say it was a present for my wife. I actually quite regretted that since the assistant did seem so friendly, I really wish I could have said "no, it's for me".

Not sure there's much of a point to the ramblings above, just thought I'd share my experience anyway.

:hugs: Fiona

sparks
06-17-2006, 07:08 PM
I travelled to a bigger smaller town and freaked out all the women as I looked at skirts dresses and lingerie. Figured what the hell it ain't my town just as long as there are no others from town there.

I didn't say anything to anyone I just bought what I wanted and dealt with the stares.

"Oh! The horror of it all! Mag! Quick! Look that man is going to buy a bra! Wait oh know he's buying a skirt, too!"

Jodi
06-18-2006, 09:08 PM
Fiona, Several years ago, I was brousing in a Ninewest store (first time in that store). I picked up a pump to look it over. The clerk came over, stated it was a great shoe and asked me what size I was looking for. I told her a 10. She went back, got the shoes, and directly asked me if I wanted to try them on. My response was to laugh and asked her if "I had it written on my forehead". She just laughed and said "no", many guys come in and try on. She also said that she could tell by my mannerisms that the shoes were for me. That might have been your case. Had it been me, I would have asked to try it on.

Jodi

jjjjohanne
06-19-2006, 05:53 AM
I think that shoe stores and perhaps hose/lingerie stores must get a higher percentage of men shopping for themselves. Everytime I have gone to shoe stores, the clerks, no matter what their age, act like it is common. No matter what I have worn, masculine, feminine, or mixed. I think they are trained and frequently experienced in dealing with CDs. When shopping at leggs/hanes/bali outlets with my wife, I have on a couple times made cracks at the register that they were for me and the clerks confess that it wouldn't be the first time. Then a conversation can ensue. I ask is it all that common for guys to shop here for themselves? They say yes and that normally they are dressed enfemme. I have gone to the store myself androgenously enfemme. My man head with shorts and hose. I don't think they noticed.

Joe

fionasboots
06-19-2006, 07:20 AM
Fiona, Several years ago, I was brousing in a Ninewest store (first time in that store). I picked up a pump to look it over. The clerk came over, stated it was a great shoe and asked me what size I was looking for. I told her a 10. She went back, got the shoes, and directly asked me if I wanted to try them on. My response was to laugh and asked her if "I had it written on my forehead". She just laughed and said "no", many guys come in and try on. She also said that she could tell by my mannerisms that the shoes were for me. That might have been your case. Had it been me, I would have asked to try it on.

Jodi

I think you may have a point there, Jodi, I guess the persperation and bright red face ... and the fact that I take size 11 US, where probably pretty much a giveaway!

I kinda try and do shopping in automatic mode without being concious of what other people are looking at so I would probably miss the obvious "so, you're a CD, okay no problem" looks :D

fionasboots
06-19-2006, 07:27 AM
I think that shoe stores and perhaps hose/lingerie stores must get a higher percentage of men shopping for themselves. Everytime I have gone to shoe stores, the clerks, no matter what their age, act like it is common. No matter what I have worn, masculine, feminine, or mixed. I think they are trained and frequently experienced in dealing with CDs. When shopping at leggs/hanes/bali outlets with my wife, I have on a couple times made cracks at the register that they were for me and the clerks confess that it wouldn't be the first time. Then a conversation can ensue. I ask is it all that common for guys to shop here for themselves? They say yes and that normally they are dressed enfemme. I have gone to the store myself androgenously enfemme. My man head with shorts and hose. I don't think they noticed.

Joe

Maybe it would be nice if the someone could compile an official list of "Places where they know you're a CDer and are fine with it".

Or even better, how about stores displaying a sign "CDers welcome" :heehee: Maybe they could have special sale days, targeting those slightly large sizes :rolleyes:

I wonder how much revenue is made from CDers? Maybe sales execs needs a more detailed breakdown; male, female, MtF, FtM :lol:

"And can I have your zip code? ... Your gender? ... And your other gender if you have one?"

Okay, maybe not :heehee:

KellyCD
06-19-2006, 08:44 AM
I just got back from the states where I had 2 really wonderful shopping experiences.

My first was at a fredericks of hollywood. I walked into the store and thank god it was only me and the sales lady. I started looking at some bra's when she asked me if I need help, I said yes and she then asked me "Can I help you find something?" I said Yes and she then asked me "Something for someone else or something for you?" My heart dropped! I choaked at first but I finally said "uhh something for me" and without skipping a beat she said "Oh, ok! well what do you like? Cotton?, Satin?, Lace?" I felt so relieved and said, "Oh i like all that stuff but I wanna find some nice bras and a thong or two."

Yeah, 45 mins and $250 later I'm walking out of there thanking her so much for being so nice. I'm thinking about emailing them to tell them what great service I got and they will get alot more bussiness from me.

I'll post what happend at the other place another time but it was great also.

GabrielleS
06-19-2006, 09:03 AM
It's really nice that most sales people are friendly to everyone, not just CD'ers - those are the best sort of people. Of course, there are a few here and there that really don't want to help you. Was in a store once, saw a sales person and they just ignored me. Didn't really care, found what I wanted, bought it and left. Probably won't go back there though. Then on the other hand, had a lot more experiences like the ones related above.....absolutely wonderful people helping us

tinaashley
06-19-2006, 03:41 PM
I.ve had a variety of experiences recently. Bought some hsoes after trying them on in a Bargain Shoes store after telling the assistant I was going to a fancy dress ball. The other lady shoppers tought it was hilarious a man tottering around in high hells - "he can even walk OK in them".
I bought a dress in Myer with my wife. As I was holding it in the line to be served a lady commented that it would suit me - I grinned a knowing smile.
I bought 2 bras, knickers, skirt & make-up at KMart. At the check-in counter the clerk said that I had inadvertantly picked up the tester pack of foundation so I casually went back to the make-up desk and changed it whilst there was a line behind me. No problem and no comments.
I walked into Celebrity Wigs and told the assistant I wanted a wig - durr! She had no problem, showed me a design book, tried a few on and said that I should choose what I wanted because I was going to wear it. Again, no problem.
Just be confident. Nobody really cares. Once you've plucked up the courage once and see that its OK you're more than happy to do it again. I feel much more comfortable looking for a bra nowadays than I used to.

Adrienne Heels
06-19-2006, 08:42 PM
I have found Nine West, Express and The Limited to all be very friendly places to shop, both in drab and dressed. I am out to the girls at Nine West and Express, and they have been so sweet. I always try the shoes on at Nine West before buying. I even showed one of the SAs at Express a pair of heels when in drab and she helped me pick out a pretty top to work with them! I am also out to an SA at Ann Taylor.

Bridget
06-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Last friday I went back home to San Francisco, changed into stretch jeans, a green striped sleeveless button tunic, and a green courduroy jacket, and sandals in my basement, put on a little gloss, and snuck out the garage. I then went to Union Square and shopped at Macys and Forever 21. I didn't see anything I really liked, other than a top. I went to Virgin Megastore and bought DVDs and a few CDs, some moments I completely forgot I was dressed, and nobody noticed or stared. It was like "passing" nirvana. Then I went home, frantically changed, and put everything back in the suitcase.

I've shopped dressed at Macys, Mervyns, JC Penny, Pacsun (I think I was outed by my voice here though, the clerk was nervous and not really sure how to handle how to address me without offending me, but she was still polite, albeit obviously avoiding pronouns), Gottschalks, Forever 21. Caveat: I have never used a changing room.

I've shopped not dressed at all of the above, in addition to Burlingtons, Ross and Marshalls. At Payless shoes, I've had mixed reactions. In one case, I was chatting with the young clerk about how awesome some girl shoes are, and in another case, when I replied to the clerk that the sandals were for me, she kind of froze, but didn't become hostile.

britney
07-02-2006, 04:31 AM
i was at kmart and saw that they had joe boxer bras and panties on sale. The bras were 2 for $15. The first one i grabed was yellow with a smiley face. The secone one was a pink color. Then i went over to the underwear table and started looking for some thongs. A 40something woman and her 20something daughter came over and the daughter grabed the same yellow bra that i had in my basket. When she came over to the panties, she looked in my basket, smiled and said "mom, look, he is gettin the smiley face bra too" Somehow they knew the stuff was for me. She was grabed our the matching bikini panty to the bra and showed me they had it. I said i was looking for thongs and she proceded to tell my how she dident see how i wore them. The mom and daughter were cool about it and moved on before i was finished.

Denise01
07-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Before they closed up, I had a Naturalizer shoe outlet about 6 miles from me.

At first they used to carry both means and Ladies shoes, then they went into just ladies.

I got to kind of know the manager in the store, and got chatting about differences in feet sizes,
I have a very narrow foot. In mens, the narrowest i can get is a C width and they are too wide for me.
chatted about ladies shoes, and i commented, i heard that ladies were much narrower. In a ladies i take a 11 med or double A. so that is narrow by all standards.
The Mgr told me that they had several men come in for ladies shoes as they were narrower, and also ladies bought mens because of the width.
I tried on a pair of ladies walking shoes that fit great. Went back for a couple of more pair, they were out of them but phoned another store to see what they had.
The lady on the phone at the other end, must have heard me talking and my voice gave me away, when she told me what they had and the colours when i said ok. The person reminded the mgr they were ladies shoes she had ordered. The response, was, yes, it is right. the person has a very narrow foot and Ladies shoes fit much better than mens, so from that i think there are a lot of guys that wear ladies shoes out of need. I know I do.

This store has now closed, so i am looking for another Naturalizer outlet store where i can get good shoes at a good price.

Denise

Rikki3X
07-02-2006, 12:19 PM
I posted about this in another chain a while back but here goes again... My absolutely FAVE place to shop is "THE AVENUE" in a little shopping center off I-95 (not going to say which state). I dont get in there very often but when I do, the sales staff always remembers me. I have gone in in full drab and full drab (hi boots, fishnets, minit skirt, tanks top, bandeau bra and forms - with my bald head and mustache). The standard greeting at this store is "Hi ! Nice to see you again. They then open the first dressing room for me and say "Have Fun" !!!.. I always do. I have tried just about every thing in the store at one time or another. Once I was out shopping for other things for the house and my car just seemed to turn into the parking lot all by itself. I went into the store 100% drab and walked out 90%
en-femme (no wig or makeup).after having spent over 2 and a half hours there trying things on, talking to sales staff and other customers. My shopping bag was full of the DRAB stuf I had worn into the store. Now THAT was on helluva shopping day !!!