PDA

View Full Version : Demolition on "Memory Lane"

Eric/a
06-18-2006, 12:35 AM
If any of you live in Atlanta, you may know of an apartment complex called The Cliffs of Dunwoody. It had other names under different management companies, like Ridgemont Apartments and Signature Ridge, along with some other less-flattering nicknames! I used to live there for several years. When I drove past it today, it was about half or three-quarters torn down. I wasn't all that surprised, because it was getting pretty run-down by the time I moved out. I'm sure most people would say it was long overdue for a date with the wrecking ball!

So why, you ask, did I bring it up on this site? Well, you see, it was the first place where I lived on my own and, as a result, a lot of my "fem firsts" took place there. For the first time, I could sleep in a woman's babydoll, teddy, or long gown anytime I wanted, without having to worry about getting caught. I broke in my first pair of high heels (and nearly broke some other things too!) on the walkways there. The laundry room was the first place where I openly washed my lingerie, nighties, hose, etc., as well as the first place I went "public," so to speak, with sandals and painted toenails. Of course, I can't leave out the swimming pool, where I had my first bikini and one-piece bathing suit experiences, along with my first breast forms and flower-petal swim caps. All that said, I'm sure you can see why I'm a little bit sad to see a place associated with so many exciting memories torn down! True, I moved to another place I liked better, but I still went back and used the pool every now and then, just for a stroll - or a swim, I guess! - down "Memory Lane!"

It wasn't really just the dressing up that made living there exciting either, because it was also the first time I let my "fem" side loose in the way I decorated my bedroom, with satin and lace ruffled bedcovers, pillowcases, the whole bit. I don't know if anybody else has thought of it, but there are also a lot of ways to do that with a bathroom. In the JC Penney catalog, I found a gorgeous ruffled shower curtain set, with matching towels, washcloths, toilet covers, rugs, etc., and even a bath pillow. Tell you what, I had a place for bubble baths that I'm sure would have even made the woman in the Calgon commercials jealous! To this day, I wish I'd hidden a tape recorder, just so I could hear what the maintenance people said whenever they went in there to fix something! Anyway, I think finding ways to "feminize" the place where you live is just as exciting as dressing up yourself!

On top of all that, the apartment complex was right across the street from a Chinese restaurant, the first place where I went out totally en femme, and now that's gone too! Oh well, I didn't do anything there that I can't do just as well anywhere else, but I can't help feeling a sense of loss over a place where I got in touch with my "fem" side for the first time. If anybody's having wine with their dinner this weekend, could I get you to raise a toast to The Cliffs of Dunwoody? It was definitely one of those places where you could see that it takes all kinds and...well, I guess I was a good example!

Just so this thread has a point to it - sort of! - does anyone else know of a place where you can remember enough similar experiences that you'd feel the same way if it were torn down?