PDA

View Full Version : Is crossdresser a synonym for transvestite?

Mistress Frillee
06-18-2006, 09:47 AM
Is crossdresser a synonym for transvestite?

Helen MC
06-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Yes, Trans = Cross , and as Vestments are another word for clothes then Cross Dresser = Transvestite the Latinised version, In Italian it is "I Travesti"

Some posters here do not care for Transvestite but it has never bothered me as it was the word I first encountered in my teens in the Problems Pages of one of my Mum's Magazines and which described me and thus reassured me that I was not alone but that lots of men and boys enjoyed wearing panties and other female clothing.

Sally2
06-18-2006, 10:15 AM
I prefer the term crossdresser to identify my life style. In my opinion, the term transvestite (thanks to the Jerry Springer show et al) carries a perception to the general public that one so classified is a male prostitute. The general public also is credited with lumping transsexuals with transvestites. The term crossdresser may be more applied in USA versus the UK. Sally2

Kelly_TGirl
06-18-2006, 10:19 AM
I prefer the term crossdresser to identify my life style. In my opinion, the term transvestite (thanks to the Jerry Springer show et al) carries a perception to the general public that one so classified is a male prostitute. The general public also is credited with lumping transsexuals with transvestites. The term crossdresser may be more applied in USA versus the UK. Sally2

I far prefer Transvestite to Crossdresser or CD

In my opinion CDs get a thrill from wearing some female clothes and do not try to pass as a female. A transvestite (often) spends a lot of money and time in trying to look as much like a woman as possible. Cds and Tvs are TOTALLY different in my opinion.

Id hate to be called a CD/Crossdresser, im a transvestite and proud of it.

Kate Simmons
06-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Sounds like some kind of main event. Back in "caveman (cave woman, whatever) times when I started, there was only the term transvestite, so I guess that's what I was. Nowadays we have a choice. Call me anything but "late for dinner" (and a few other choice words!) Ericka

Lynn
06-18-2006, 10:34 AM
I always thought that crossdresser was applied to some one who dressed up in the opposite gender part-time.
Transvestite was applied to some one who dressed and lived as the opposite gender full time.
Transsexual was some one who had been through Gender Re- assignment Surgery.

Just be called what you want to be called. Or don't label yourself at all, it's your choise.

Rachel Morley
06-18-2006, 10:35 AM
We've had this conversation before and my personal opinion hasn't changed. For me, I prefer crossdresser because I always associate the word transvestite as a sort of "Rocky Horror" type thing and when I'm en femme that's not what I'm about. I guess it's just one's personal perception. It doesn't really matter after all it's just a word.

GabrielleS
06-18-2006, 10:39 AM
To me -- like Ericka -- call me what ever you wnat. Still doesn't change anything. I like to get dressed up and I'm only waiting for the right moment to go out for a good time I go. With the girls, of course!

Joy Carter
06-18-2006, 10:51 AM
To me -- like Ericka -- call me what ever you wnat. Still doesn't change anything. I like to get dressed up and I'm only waiting for the right moment to go out for a good time I go. With the girls, of course!

Gotta agree this you gurls here a TV(sorry) though to me is one who does it for sex. Please no offence intended!

Marla S
06-18-2006, 11:05 AM
My two cents, too.
As long as we need a label there is something wrong.
I've learned lately that there isn't anything wrong with me.

Toni
06-18-2006, 11:08 AM
I much prefer being called a transvestite - I hate being called an "angry wardrobe" (Crossdresser).

~Kelly~
06-18-2006, 11:30 AM
this probably does not help in actually differentiating, but I have grown accustomed to lumping all of the terms into one. I (as well as most of those around me) refer to everyone in the trans- community as a "T-girl"

sparks
06-18-2006, 11:33 AM
Sure I don't mind being called a transvestite! I don't mind a lot of terms it just depends on the context when they are being used!
My wife called me a tranvestite once with alot of disdaine and me feel ashamed, so it can hurt.
One of my faves cause it me makes laugh and feel "naughty" is Sexual Deviant!

Try that one out and let me know what ya think. It was what I found in a book when I was trying to figure out who and what I was.

Maria D
06-18-2006, 12:48 PM
You are what you are regardless of what name is given.
I find it odd though that people can give a different meaning to the translated meaning of a word.
The word 'sweet' in English is 'doux' in French and 'dulce' in Spanish. It would be bizzare if an apple pie wanted to be described as sweet and not dulce because that was negative.

Karren H
06-18-2006, 01:13 PM
I've noticed that a lot of the Eurpoean girls use TV or Transvestite in their ID's.

Love Karren

gennee
06-18-2006, 01:38 PM

In my opinion CDs get a thrill from wearing some female clothes and do not try to pass as a female. A transvestite (often) spends a lot of money and time in trying to look as much like a woman as possible. Cds and Tvs are TOTALLY different in my opinion.

Though it doesn't bother me to be called either, I prefer transvestite. I like the sound and feel of it. Obligations keep me from being a full time transvestite but in my heart I am. I'm a proud and happy transvestite.

Gennee

Khriss
06-18-2006, 02:00 PM

oh well.. but I do understand those terms..wondering how they "qualify" realy ? ..I prefer "total dressing" now.. (transvestism?) as something I should have known..was coming sooner or later...reguardless of the labels others seem to need to qualify or quantify their own image of my behavior or desires ..I prefer ...more simple truths in the complexity I'm dealt , in life eh?
..call me what You like !? ..but NOT in a bigoted way !! eh? "K"

GG Vanya
06-18-2006, 03:12 PM
Maybe I'm living in a protected world, but I've never considered transvestite to be a derogatory term.

Trudi explained it to me early on: trans meaning across or to cross, and vestiture meaning clothing or apparel.

To me that is the "clinical" term, leaving no room for confusion.

<shrug>

Helen MC
06-18-2006, 03:16 PM
Exactly Vanya, which is why I always refer to men who are aligned sexually to other men as Homosexual and NOT "Gay".

Jillian310
06-18-2006, 03:28 PM
A rose is a rose is a rose.

Ms. Donna
06-18-2006, 03:34 PM

I find the word 'transvestite' to be a rather ugly word - it carries too much psychiatric baggage: vis Transvestic Fetishism - DSM-IV diagnostic code 302.3 - which is defined as a paraphelia, a sexual perversion.

Crossdressing as an activity in which one engages. As such, one who engages in said activity could - more properly - be called a crossdresser. A far more polite and civilized label.

If of course you feel the need for one... :)

Love & Stuff,
Donna

Siobhan Marie
06-18-2006, 03:51 PM
I find the word 'transvestite' to be a rather ugly word

:iagree: with Donna, I personally prefer the term crossdresser myself.

:hugs: Anna x

Tamara Croft
06-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Transvestite - Mainly used in the UK

Crossdresser - Mostly USA and other

Both mean the exact same thing - A person who dresses and acts in a style or manner traditionally associated with the opposite sex.

Although I'm from the UK, I prefer the term Crossdresser, but I guess that is because I've been on this forum for so long, I'm now used to it.

Francine
06-18-2006, 04:30 PM
for me, "transvestite" has "clinical terminology" to it. Back in 1970, I was caught by my mother wearing a dress.. and after countless sessions with a clinical psychologist he came to this conclusion.
".. a transvestite, but harmless to society...." and was "..convinced to live my life as a man.... "

(see where that got him! ;) )

Except when I am "transgendered" :happy:
The term I prefer to use, when dressed. I'm not real crazy about the term 'crossdresser', maybe because it is used as a synonym of "transvestite".

Francine

Deanna2
06-18-2006, 04:37 PM
Many people would say yes, but what's in a label.

Labels are only for the uninformed and ignorant.

az_azeel
06-18-2006, 05:06 PM
If anything I prefer the term "crossdresser".. I think the word transvestite tends to lead people on the route of TG..As Lynn says in her post...
but as I have said in a previous post.. I hate labels unless they are designer...

the fallen angel

Scrunchie-Bunchie
06-18-2006, 06:13 PM
I am me. I am not anybody else. I don't care to be labelled or to label myself.

I wear women's clothes. I love wearing women's clothes. I find skirts and particularly dresses more comfortable than jeans/trousers. I love wearing hose. I feel good in hose and dresses. I don't much care for cosmetics but I'd love to be able to wear them every day. I'd love to be able to go out in a dress and to live my life in clothes I find comfortable. I reject the macho view of the world that states men must wear trousers.

Am I a transvestite? I really don't care what I'm called. I know I'm me. I would love to be seen as a woman by men and women alike, to be able to blend in as a woman. I also love my wife dearly and never ever wish to be a cause of strife. She would be happy for me to wear a dress with her outside. The only reasons why I don't:

1. I don't want people that pay her for her services (she runs a business) to take sufficient umbridge that it affects her business.
2. I don't want to be perceived as a pervert.
3. I'm always scared of other people anyway and in the bible belt - goodness knows what they'd do to me if they found out.

I do enjoy the feel of the outside world when I'm in a dress though.

Carroll
06-18-2006, 06:23 PM
I went to dictionary.com and here are the defintions they gave:

transĀ·vesĀ·tite: a person and especially a male who adopts the dress and often the behavior typical of the opposite sex especially for purposes of emotional or sexual gratification

Cross dresser: : someone who adopts the dress or manner or sexual role of the opposite sex [syn: transvestite]

Carroll

michelleliz
06-18-2006, 06:27 PM
I also go with transgender. I think it sounds less offensive

michelleliz

Kieron Andrew
06-18-2006, 06:50 PM
Many people would say yes, but what's in a label.

Labels are only for the uninformed and ignorant.i agree but being british i prefer TV or trans....if i have to make a choices

Clare
06-18-2006, 08:45 PM
For me, I prefer crossdresser because I always associate the word transvestite as a sort of "Rocky Horror" type thing and when I'm en femme that's not what I'm about. I guess it's just one's personal perception.:iagree: Angel pretty much sums it up for me!

Although I now consider myself more of a transgenderist as I develope this side of my lifestyle in the future.

Barb Valentine
06-18-2006, 09:23 PM
I don't care what you call me
As long as it's not late for dinner :D

Marlena Dahlstrom
06-19-2006, 01:51 AM
Technically, "transvestite" is merely the Latin translation of "crossdresser" (reflecting the academic roots of the original researcher, Magnus Hirschfeld (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_Hirschfeld), who coined the term) although as others have noted, the two have acquired different overtones in the U.S.

Personally I like reclaiming "transvestite" (and "tranny") -- just like gays reclaimed the term "queer." In part because I like how the "trans" part of it ties together with "transgender" and "transsexual" since we're all in this together.

swiss_susan
06-19-2006, 03:51 AM
The words mean the same thing, however people often understand them differently.

Personally I use crossdresser here because after all this is crossdressers.com lol

Susan

CaptLex
06-19-2006, 09:50 AM
Personally I like reclaiming "transvestite" (and "tranny") -- just like gays reclaimed the term "queer." In part because I like how the "trans" part of it ties together with "transgender" and "transsexual" since we're all in this together.
Yup, I agree with this. If someone else has a negative definition of the term, that's his/her problem. I have no problem with either crossdresser or transvestite and use the terms interchangeably to show people that their definition doesn't matter to me - only mine.

I also mess with people's minds by telling them I'm a catastrophe since the word for transvestite in French sounds like travesty, which means catastrophe (je suis un travesti). :eek:

racquel
06-19-2006, 02:32 PM
I have been known to use both terms but prefer Transvestite as I feel it has a more permanent tone to it and this is something I will always be. :happy:

Kate Simmons
06-19-2006, 05:02 PM
One of 'em applies anyway. I just switched from my Ericka to Eric phase and will be CDing as a guy for awhile. So CD or TV, I'll still be here one way or the other. Eric

Marcia-B
06-19-2006, 05:29 PM
I think it is more or less the same thing.Many try to define differences and often disagree.I don't really like these labels when describing myself, though tgirl is not too bad.At least it has "girl" in it.
Some are Cd ,some are TV,what about DVD?

Dee 1062
06-19-2006, 10:15 PM
I am just me !...Dee....Please just call me Dee.:rolleyes:

chantelle
06-20-2006, 09:53 AM
THis is true about the Jerry show, and have found that publisising your problems should be a illegal act and u should shoot those people.

That is my proffesional counsilling opiinion
chantelle.:hugs:

Lisa Golightly
06-20-2006, 09:58 AM
I'm usually called Lisa, that bloke in a dress or dozy. The CD TV thing really doesn't enter into my tiny world. :)

Ranee Daze
06-20-2006, 11:01 AM
It's too bad we couldn't arrive at some sort of scale here with Le Closet at one end and La Cage at the other.
Transvestite for me carries a bit too much odour, too close to Drag Queen, which I see as very insulting (to women and dressers) as a characiture. ie: Overly large boobs, lips, hair etc. La Cage etc.
There is better poetry in 'crossdresser ' for me. The one I really don't like the smell of is "She-male".

Marlena Dahlstrom
06-21-2006, 02:19 AM
I also mess with people's minds by telling them I'm a catastrophe since the word for transvestite in French sounds like travesty, which means catastrophe (je suis un travesti). :eek:

I guess we'll just call you Calamity James... :D

christine55
06-21-2006, 03:15 AM
Myself I prefer the term crossdresser. It seems to me to carry less of the baggage that transvestite carries. I suppose that is because crossdresser is the newer of the two and seems to imply a more benign connotation. Its funny because reading the other posts others have the opposite opinion.
All in all both terms mean the same thing.
Hugs, Christine

Sarah Rabbit
06-21-2006, 03:28 AM
I hate the term 'Transvestite' preferring 'Crossdresser' or 'Transgendered'!!

Sarah R. :bunny:

janedoe311
06-21-2006, 12:08 PM

If you look up the two definitions you will find that some define transvestite as a fetish, a sexually pleasure thing. A transvestite is a crossdresser but for a specific reason. Not sure it this definition will stick. But I do think the sexual fetish side of crossdressing should be in a different category.